The Answer to the Plutonium Proliferation Problem

If polywell fusion is developed, in what ways will the world change for better or worse? Discuss.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

The Answer to the Plutonium Proliferation Problem

Post by MSimon »

We need to build Bussard Reactor neutron generators as soon as possible to test out possible proliferation aspects - like trying to make Plutonium - so we can figure out the best ways to control the proliferation problem.

The cat is out of the bag. We better start looking for a leash.

The idea was suggested to me by my friend Eric.

drmike

Post by drmike »

Hybrid reactor ideas have been around for a long time. Use of a fusion core with a U238 blanket so you get Pu239 is the ideal since Pu has better reactor characteristics than U235.
You still have the problem of chemistry - after some time you need to separate out the Pu from the U and what ever else is created (some fission will take place for sure, so all the by products must be dealt with).

If we can take natural U and place it around a fusor chances are good we can generate enough Pu to sell. So can anybody else. I would think everyone in the world would want to know everyone else who has the ability to create Pu from ore. The chemical processing plant will be hard to hide.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

You could also make fissile U-233 from Th-232. There's a lot more of that stuff lying around (3-4 times world uranium reserves).

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

What makes you think the greenies won't go ballistic over several GW of microwaves being beamed to earth?

dnavas

Post by dnavas »

DavidWillard wrote:Maybe that's why the Chinese and Russians are so focused on going to the moon to mine Helium-3 for?!
Err, wow. Just when I thought the fusion folks couldn't make their technology any less affordable, apparently we're now going to import the fuel from the moon....

I know, let's just build a tokamak on the moon!

[Yes, I know that wasn't at all your point, but the picture of building cathedrals on the moon was just too precious to pass by, sorry]