Good day in china

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Good day in china

Post by paperburn1 »

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Schneibster

Re: Good day in china

Post by Schneibster »

Yep.

India too.

They're both sure to build hundreds of coal-fired electric plants. There's not a darn thing anyone can do to stop them.

We'd better start figuring out how to take it out of the atmosphere, because it's pretty clear they're going to be putting it in no matter what.
We need a directorate of science, and we need it to be voted on only by scientists. You don't get to vote on reality. Get over it. Elected officials that deny the findings of the Science Directorate are subject to immediate impeachment for incompetence.

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

Schneibster wrote:They're both sure to build hundreds of coal-fired electric plants. There's not a darn thing anyone can do to stop them.
Well, cheap and effective Polywell fusion plants might do it. (And as soon as anybody shows it can be done, you can bet that China will figure out how to do it cheaply, patents or no patents.)

However, barring some game-changing breakthrough like that, I agree, we're going to see a lot more CO2 from China and India (and elsewhere) this century.
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

choff

Post by choff »

Now, now, weather isn't climate. :D
CHoff

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

JoeStrout wrote:
Schneibster wrote:They're both sure to build hundreds of coal-fired electric plants. There's not a darn thing anyone can do to stop them.
Well, cheap and effective Polywell fusion plants might do it. (And as soon as anybody shows it can be done, you can bet that China will figure out how to do it cheaply, patents or no patents.)

However, barring some game-changing breakthrough like that, I agree, we're going to see a lot more CO2 from China and India (and elsewhere) this century.
I'm actually an advocate of technologies that produce fuel by extracting it from the atmosphere, using sunlight. So far there are a handful of technologies: an algae that stores diesel instead of fats or sugars; an E. Coli that excretes gasoline; two different catalysts, one a carbon nanotube structure and the other a heavy metal (maybe a rare earth, I don't remember the details) that both make anything from mixed hexanes up to mazut using sunlight and gray water, and I just saw one last week that makes free hydrogen from raw human sewage, and processes the sewage as well.

And yes, Polywell would help a lot. A LOT a lot. But I think we have to take control of the carbon cycle. There are too many of us doing too much. And the consequences are potentially pretty bad; you want to keep in mind that the last time all that coal was in the atmosphere the carbon stood at 7,000 ppm at the crash at the end of the Cambrian. And that wasn't even the worst one; two prior mass extinctions occurred in the Cambrian, the two biggest other than the Permian Extinction in the history of the planet, both due to high temperatures and massive deoxygenation of the water, causing extinctions of enormous numbers of marine species.

I don't believe we'll go that far; I think what's going to happen this century will be enough to convince people they can't vote on the weather.
We need a directorate of science, and we need it to be voted on only by scientists. You don't get to vote on reality. Get over it. Elected officials that deny the findings of the Science Directorate are subject to immediate impeachment for incompetence.

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

choff wrote:Now, now, weather isn't climate. :D
What weather are you referring to?

choff

Post by choff »

A mixture of fog and air pollution, aka smog.
CHoff

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

Hundreds of coal-fired power plants isn't weather.

choff

Post by choff »

They're not climate either.

Of interest, long ago on site we had some discussion that coal deposits occur near radioactive mineral deposits. That burning coal actually produces measurable radioactive fallout, and that this could cause cancers just as much as the soot. There was also some discussion that coal ash was used in concrete and that Argon from basement cracks actually came from the concrete as well as the ground beneath.

This has since peaked my interest in the Kerrick process and more recent oil from coal techniques. I'll be more than happy to see coal, oil and fission replaced by the Polywell, irregardless of whether climate change is real or not.

Just to put my tinfoil hat on for a minute, I've also been looking at websites that say Bill Gates is in charge of a geo engineering project involving chemtrails.
CHoff

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

choff wrote:They're not climate either.
Never said they were. What they are is global warming gas generators.
choff wrote:Of interest, long ago on site we had some discussion that coal deposits occur near radioactive mineral deposits. That burning coal actually produces measurable radioactive fallout, and that this could cause cancers just as much as the soot.
Actually that's a misunderstanding. Coal contains some radioactive elements, but very small quantities because of the enormous time it's been undisturbed underground. What happens is that the radioactive elements get into the flue gas and get concentrated. But even so it's not much. You're at enormously more risk of respiratory and cardiac illnesses because of the air quality.
choff wrote:There was also some discussion that coal ash was used in concrete and that Argon from basement cracks actually came from the concrete as well as the ground beneath.
That would surprise me. Also, it's radon that's found collecting in basements, not argon.
choff wrote:This has since peaked my interest in the Kerrick process and more recent oil from coal techniques.
It's a waste to use coal for that when you can make it from air for cheaper.
choff wrote:I'll be more than happy to see coal, oil and fission replaced by the Polywell, irregardless of whether climate change is real or not.
It would be nice but they're being really, really, really slow. I think there's a big hitch and they're not telling us.
choff wrote:Just to put my tinfoil hat on for a minute, I've also been looking at websites that say Bill Gates is in charge of a geo engineering project involving chemtrails.
Bah. "Lets pollute it some more. That'll fix it." That will be popular, not.

choff

Post by choff »

Would you trust the guy who gave us Windows ME to geoengineer the planet.
CHoff

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

choff wrote:Would you trust the guy who gave us Windows ME to geoengineer the planet.
Microsoft has the best marketing, not even close to the best technology.

They're the station wagon of the personal computer world.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

choff wrote:Would you trust the guy who gave us Windows ME to geoengineer the planet.
That would be a No. Some would use much stronger language.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

No.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

[/color]
A blue screen of death in this instance takes on an entirely different meaning.

We joke here about how every other OS they put out is a placeholder. We're finally getting off WinXP and going to Win7 plantwide - and it's looking like Win8 isn't going to be an exception to the rule.

So... I'd say 'no'. He's batting .500 on OS development - I'm not seeing he'll do much better in the geoengineering field.
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.