New Polywell Reactor Article in Journal of Fusion Energy

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

This should be in news section

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

http://townhall.com/news/sci-tech/2012/ ... page/full/

This is probably related and makes me sad. :(

Someone find a way to communicate with Mr V please. His contributions have been very peaceful.

MSimon

Re: Polywell Manufacturing

Post by MSimon »

Netmaker wrote:My understanding is that the current Polywell's have been produced using hand machining and that this takes some time. That is not to say that it would take that same amount of time should a commercial design be developed and more sophisticated manufacturing techniques used.

So, thinking ahead, it would be desirable to explore manufacturing techniques that might lead to higher manufacturing rates needed for a commercial product before testing is concluded and a commercial design+manufacturing process are selected by default.

But what do I know :) Not enough...
Mfg. is somewhat idiosycratic depending on the final design. Best to wait and see what the boffins come up with.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

My understanding is that the current Polywell's have been produced using hand machining and that this takes some time.
I think the company in San Diego that made the Magrids did so using automated equipment. The windings themselves are easy if you have a decent motor shop with a good winder handy. The winder would only need to prep a jig, then spin and spool, dip and bake, and viola, "Magrid coil". In a rush they could do it in a day, easy. The long leg would be dip and bake.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Eric Lerner of LPP is proposing joint DPF research with Iran.

http://fusionforpeace.org/

Too bad that the current Iranian regime has called, and continues to call, for the obliteration of the sovereign, non-Shiite state of Israel.

That makes Lerner's proposal politically unrealistic. Regardless of the sincerity of the Iranian DPF researchers, any hope that such a research arrangement would influence the fanatics in Tehran is wishful thinking, unless they repent of their genocidal talk.