New Polywell Reactor Article in Journal of Fusion Energy

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Good thing they're cool enough / have a sense of humor.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Vahid,
Now that you have your fusor up and running, are you looking to improve it, seems like you could "polish" it up a bit and get more neutrons out of it. Thoughts/Plans?
Also, just curious, but what got you on the path to build it, and what applications are you thinking it could be useful for other than plasma study?
Any chance you all may try to accellerate your Polywell project? And outside of money, what do you think will be the biggest hurdle to getting a functioning WB6/7 or 8 equivilant?

vahid

Post by vahid »

ladajo wrote:Vahid,
Now that you have your fusor up and running, are you looking to improve it, seems like you could "polish" it up a bit and get more neutrons out of it. Thoughts/Plans?
ladajo,
We intend to improve it by adding ion sources, titanium coating and cooling system. We will appriciate your useful ideas about that.
ladajo wrote: what got you on the path to build it, and what applications are you thinking it could be useful for other than plasma study?
We find fusor as a first and simple step to achieve fusion reactor studies, devices and Polywell approach as one of the best fusion power plant candidate. Furthermore it is an inexpensive methode.

We hope that some medical and peacfull applicatians such as; PET (13N, 11C, 18F , ....), BNCT (Boron Neutron Capture Therapy) and landmine detection; be industrial and commercial.
ladajo wrote:Any chance you all may try to accellerate your Polywell project? And outside of money, what do you think will be the biggest hurdle to getting a functioning WB6/7 or 8 equivilant?
We know that we have a hard path to achieve WB7/8 equivilant, so we should try harder.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Fusors are good neutron sources, but as you have said it does better with cooling. There has been some good work on cooled grids, but the ablative issues remain. How do you intend to do the titainium coating? What are you using for your grid material? How large are your inner and outer grids and what is the grid configuration (pattern)?

I will look, as I recall Wisconsin has the most experience with cooled grids. Ion emitters are also well played with, I will see what I can find to be useful. There is another thread here where Tom Ligon and others have recently dsicussed this as well.

Explosives detection is useful, but I think you will need higher neutron counts to be useful. Activation will also be an issue as you improve your count rates. What material is your chamber and the power feed throughs?

What is your power supply set up? There have been discussions on harmonics effects on the fusing process. It would be interesting to know what your applied distortion is.

vahid

Post by vahid »

ladajo wrote:Fusors are good neutron sources, but as you have said it does better with cooling. There has been some good work on cooled grids, but the ablative issues remain. How do you intend to do the titainium coating? What are you using for your grid material? How large are your inner and outer grids and what is the grid configuration (pattern)?

I will look, as I recall Wisconsin has the most experience with cooled grids. Ion emitters are also well played with, I will see what I can find to be useful. There is another thread here where Tom Ligon and others have recently dsicussed this as well.

Explosives detection is useful, but I think you will need higher neutron counts to be useful. Activation will also be an issue as you improve your count rates. What material is your chamber and the power feed throughs?

What is your power supply set up? There have been discussions on harmonics effects on the fusing process. It would be interesting to know what your applied distortion is.
ladajo,
Most of your questions have been answered in our fusor article. You can give me your email address if you want to know more about that.

If we use a small Titanium rod instade of cathode grid and change the discharge polarity, we can coat the inner surface of fusor chamber. It is very easy.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have just gotten the article, I will go through it.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Ok, I have read your IEC article, and the OOPIC article.

Why did you pick the grid diameters you used?

Why did you pick the particular grid configuration used? Pretty straight stick.

I saw nothing on your power supply setup in the article, just the graph for drive and yield.

What are you plans for ion guns? That would seem to be the quick fix for improved yields.

If you notice your yield curve was flattening, if you push that out, you will see the theory limit for your setup, as I am sure you already have.

What neutron yield are you thinking you will need for PET and explosives detection?
The concerning thing about your rig, is that once you push up yields, others may want to use it for things not on your intended use list. I saw the word "peaceful" in your article. I had to smile. Not all folks will think the way you have written.

vahid

Post by vahid »

ladajo wrote:The concerning thing about your rig, is that once you push up yields, others may want to use it for things not on your intended use list. I saw the word "peaceful" in your article. I had to smile. Not all folks will think the way you have written.
We believe that all applications of WB7/8 and fusors are peaceful. Also we know that even air and water have non-peaceful applications.
Researchers should not be any unreasonable suspicious among each others.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, and I also do not want this thread to go down the politics road. But it is a fact that a sustained high density neutron source makes folks take notice from a wide variety of peaceful and non-peaceful applications.

In any event, that is not my interest. I am more interested in where you will go with your work. Do you yet have any ideas on the ion gun upgrade?

I have also noticed that you have restrained from putting down numbers from your articles, so I will refrain as well unless you say it is ok.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

But it is a fact that a sustained high density neutron source makes folks take notice from a wide variety of peaceful and non-peaceful applications.
And?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And what? A handy dandy neutron-o-matic has many uses, good and bad. 'nuff said.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Vahid,
Have you taken a close look at Andrew Seltman's work?

He has proved out a grid cooling system and ion guns.

http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... -index.htm

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

And what? A handy dandy neutron-o-matic has many uses, good and bad. 'nuff said.
So does a car, or a truck, or a plane, or anything in the world. I dont see why a neutron source should be treated any differently.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I guess that is a matter of scale and perspective, like who is more dangerous with a knife, a two year old or a twenty year old? Let's leave it off this thread, and keep this to technical.

vahid

Post by vahid »

ladajo wrote:Vahid,
Have you taken a close look at Andrew Seltman's work?
Yes, I did. Their grid cooling system is very good, but in small size and low voltages. Simultaneous use of the cooling system and multi-grid electrodes, is very effective in improving the system.