I was anticipated by a Greater Mind.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Re: I was anticipated by a Greater Mind.

Post by Diogenes »

Stubby wrote:Diogenes:
As previously noted, your dictionary is wrong. Stop using it.

And this is the level of rebuttal of which this little mind is capable.

He shares one characteristics with Obama. He's a complete fool, but is totally unaware of just how ignorant and stupid he is.

Possibly mumsy and dada left him some money to live on so as not to preclude his suffering the usual fate of pretentious idiots.

I can't imagine him producing any useful output on his own.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

Diogenes wrote:Because talking about this is tantamount to sawing through a major load bearing structure for civilization. Humans turn into evil bastards when deprived of their religious beliefs.
This seems to be a fairly common belief among theists. I've seen no evidence for it, however. I know quite a few atheists, and none of them happen to be evil bastards.

Of course, I'm sure some of them are. And there are certainly theists who are evil bastards, too. As far as I can tell, there is no strong correlation whatsoever between quality of character, and religious belief.

(In fact, if anything, I've observed a weak negative correlation — the worst, most abusive, and truly horrible people I've known happen to be have been quite religious. But since most of the American population is religious, we can't draw too strong a conclusion from that. The prior probability of being religious is so high that any randomly-drawn subset is likely to be mostly religious folk.)
Diogenes wrote:If you think humans are evolved to the point where they can maintain a stable social structure without religious beliefs underpinning it, then you are extremely naive about the nature of humans.
I respectfully submit that it's you who is mistaken about the nature of humans. Most people are basically good, especially if they're taught morality based on a sound philosophical foundation, rather than taught that they'd better behave or a boogeyman in the sky is going to get them.

Cheers,
- Joe
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Stubby wrote:The default position versus any assertion is non-belief until sufficient evidence is provided.
That's an irrational stance. Skepticism is not a rational default position. The rational default when possible is to suspend judgement. However, in the case of the existence of God, as William James clearly shows, the decision is "living, forced and momentous" the choice to believe is the only rational choice. Clearly it is the only pragmatic choice as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Will_to_Believe
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Integral with religion as an element of social control is the view of God as all seeing. As opposed to human watchers that may or may not be watching. There is also the belief of God as incorruptible, as opposed to human agents which only an idiot would accept as perfect. The idea of a government of flawed humans watching everything, if sporadically, is mind numbingly terrifying. The belief that God forgives if we will repent of sin has a marked difference in how it impacts us from the belief that agents of government may have seen anything we do and hold us to account or destroy evidence on a whim.

Of course what the society believes about the nature of God and what he wants matters. If we believe God wants us to live in peace with others, as far as we may, it produces a far different outcome than if we believe God wants us to subjugate or destroy the infidel.

It's the belief in a overseer with specific qualities than no sane man would attribute to human agency that has contributed greatly to western civilization.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

JoeStrout wrote:
Diogenes wrote:Because talking about this is tantamount to sawing through a major load bearing structure for civilization. Humans turn into evil bastards when deprived of their religious beliefs.
This seems to be a fairly common belief among theists. I've seen no evidence for it, however. I know quite a few atheists, and none of them happen to be evil bastards.

The Atheists you know have grown up in an ocean of Christianity. They have Christian habits that they have acquired by custom and herd experience. Your time scale is too short.

I am not, nor have I ever been, referring to this ARTIFICIAL condition where Atheists acquire the habits of Christian doctrine because they live among so many of them. No, I'm referring specifically to what happens when the entire society is default atheist, and has had time to develop it's own set of rules and behavior.

The general case "Evil Bastard" syndrome won't emerge until Atheism is the dominant system.

JoeStrout wrote:

Of course, I'm sure some of them are. And there are certainly theists who are evil bastards, too. As far as I can tell, there is no strong correlation whatsoever between quality of character, and religious belief.

My argument is that EVERYONE is an evil bastard, but because of the influence of Religious doctrine, they have been conditioned/taught to control their more evil impulses. Even then, some people simply can't help reverting to their nature.

Christian doctrine is not instinctive. It's abnormal to the wild state of man. Turning the other cheek is NOT a normal impulse for humans. It's as abnormal as you can get.

JoeStrout wrote:
(In fact, if anything, I've observed a weak negative correlation — the worst, most abusive, and truly horrible people I've known happen to be have been quite religious. But since most of the American population is religious, we can't draw too strong a conclusion from that. The prior probability of being religious is so high that any randomly-drawn subset is likely to be mostly religious folk.)
Exactly. If most people are religious, it is likely that the evil bastards you meet will also likely be religious. Again, how many atheist societies are there of which you are aware?

JoeStrout wrote:
Diogenes wrote:If you think humans are evolved to the point where they can maintain a stable social structure without religious beliefs underpinning it, then you are extremely naive about the nature of humans.
I respectfully submit that it's you who is mistaken about the nature of humans. Most people are basically good, especially if they're taught morality based on a sound philosophical foundation, rather than taught that they'd better behave or a boogeyman in the sky is going to get them.

Cheers,
- Joe
This seems logical, but real world experiment has not demonstrated this to be the case. We have an entire history from which to draw examples of where sound philosophical foundations have led us very much astray.

Nietzsche and Eugenics comes to mind as obvious examples. The inherent logic of the Eugenics movement is both philosophically and scientifically logical, while Religion is pretty much made up fantasy stuff.

The Eugenics people went about eradicating everyone who didn't meet a specific measure of quality. Mentally disabled people were rounded up and euthanized. As they were burden's on the state, what other logical solution could exist?

As for me, give me the society based on the fantasy notion that everyone has in inherent worth. I and others probably wouldn't survive in a logical scientific society.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:
Stubby wrote:The default position versus any assertion is non-belief until sufficient evidence is provided.
That's an irrational stance. Skepticism is not a rational default position. The rational default when possible is to suspend judgement.

As I have mentioned previously, believing that there cannot be a God or gods is just as much a matter of faith as believing that there are. The only rational position is "I don't know."
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

hanelyp wrote:Integral with religion as an element of social control is the view of God as all seeing. As opposed to human watchers that may or may not be watching. There is also the belief of God as incorruptible, as opposed to human agents which only an idiot would accept as perfect. The idea of a government of flawed humans watching everything, if sporadically, is mind numbingly terrifying. The belief that God forgives if we will repent of sin has a marked difference in how it impacts us from the belief that agents of government may have seen anything we do and hold us to account or destroy evidence on a whim.

Of course what the society believes about the nature of God and what he wants matters. If we believe God wants us to live in peace with others, as far as we may, it produces a far different outcome than if we believe God wants us to subjugate or destroy the infidel.

I have long pointed out the genius of the system. It compels the individual to watch himself by using his own mind as a proxy for God. Mens rea is the trigger for intervention between an individual and his conscious. He ponders if God would approve or disapprove, and then picks the path he assumes God would approve.

It is like a moral Artificial guide star. It doesn't really exist, but it gets the job done anyway!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_guide_star

hanelyp wrote: It's the belief in a overseer with specific qualities than no sane man would attribute to human agency that has contributed greatly to western civilization.

As near as I can tell, this is exactly right. It's just difficult to communicate the concept to others.
— Lord Melbourne —

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

Nice cartoon, Stubby. That captures it exactly.
We need a directorate of science, and we need it to be voted on only by scientists. You don't get to vote on reality. Get over it. Elected officials that deny the findings of the Science Directorate are subject to immediate impeachment for incompetence.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Diogenes wrote:
JoeStrout wrote:

The Atheists you know have grown up in an ocean of Christianity. They have Christian habits that they have acquired by custom and herd experience. Your time scale is too short.

I am not, nor have I ever been, referring to this ARTIFICIAL condition where Atheists acquire the habits of Christian doctrine because they live among so many of them. No, I'm referring specifically to what happens when the entire society is default atheist, and has had time to develop it's own set of rules and behavior.

The general case "Evil Bastard" syndrome won't emerge until Atheism is the dominant system.
Like say for instance Nazi Germany where they sterilized and later killed mental & physical "untermenschen", gypsies, and of course the Jews.

Russia under Stalin. When his farm collectives didn't produce the result he wanted, he "punished" the people by confiscating their food, which produced even more large scale murder than what the NKVD under the "bloody dwarf" & later Beria were doing.

Cambodia under Pol Pot . He had a vision of the perfect agrarian society...but unfortunately by his calculation, there were a couple million to many Cambodians to realize his "dream". "Fortunately" for him but unfortunately for his fellow Cambodians he came up with a way to solve that "problem", murder the excess.

China under Mao. More tens of millions dying because of their belief in the god like wisdom of the aforementioned.

Japan under Hirohito. That more a mixture of ideology and religion. Technically Hirohito supposedly was a descendent of the Sun god, and as such literally "divine" Seem to recall reading that apparently allot of Japanese didn't believe that he was even mortal, hard as that is to swallow. The savage butchery of the "rape of Nankung" during the invasion of Manchuria & countless other atrocities.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM

When you completely eliminate religion, the part of the human psyche that yearns for such (rational or not) fills the vacuum with ideology...which sets the stage for the quasi-god of the state, ruled by the "evil bastards" who conveniently materialize.
Last edited by williatw on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

williatw wrote:Like say for instance Nazi Germany where they euthanized and later killed mental & physical "untermenschen", gypsies, and of course the Jews.

Russia under Stalin. When his farm collectives didn't produce the result he wanted, he "punished" the people by confiscating their food, which produced even more large scale murder than what the NKVD under the "bloody dwarf" & later Beria were doing.

Cambodia under Pol Pot . He had a vision of the perfect agrarian society...but unfortunately by his calculation, there were a couple million to many Cambodians to realize his "dream". "Fortunately" for him but unfortunately for his fellow Cambodians he came up with a way to solve that "problem", murder the excess.

China under Mao. More tens of millions dying because of their belief in the god like wisdom of the aforementioned.

Japan under Hirohito. That more a mixture of ideology and religion. Technically Hirohito supposedly was a descendent of the Sun god, and as such literally "divine" Seem to recall reading that apparently allot of Japanese didn't believe that he was even mortal, hard as that is to swallow. The savage butchery of the "rape of Nankung" during the invasion of Manchuria & countless other atrocities.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM

When you completely eliminate religion, the part of the human psyche that yearns for such (rational or not) fills the vacuum with ideology...which sets the stage for the quasi-god of the state, ruled by the "evil bastards" who conveniently materialize.
But none of those examples have atheism as a cause, you see. It's an effect of them installing a replacement for religion, with the state (and the person of the focus of the personality cult, note how you name a leader there?) replacing "god."

That's nothing atheists want to do. First, separation of church and state; and this includes protection of church from state; the state can neither prescribe nor proscribe, on religious grounds. That however does not permit religions or the religious to commit crimes, whether on religious grounds or not. Based on the evidence, Baptist ministers should be tested regularly for illegal drugs like meth and should have to sign oaths that they will not engage in illicit sex before their churches can get federal tax relief, and the same should be true of Catholic officials with regard to children.

Those who live in glass houses should avoid throwing stones. I think Kung Fu Tze said that; he's known in the West as Confucius.

ETA: BTW, I do not accept Godwin's Postulate. You may mention Hitler under circumstances where history is already being discussed without having to listen to me whine about Godwin's "Law" or something. But remember that Hitler is also referred to in Baez' Crackpot Index. Godwin's Postulate should have been more carefully stated; it's basically CI number 33: " 40 points for comparing those who argue against your ideas to Nazis, stormtroopers, or brownshirts. " Or Hitler.

Oh and BTW I think you're on a lee shore with number 33 anyway.
We need a directorate of science, and we need it to be voted on only by scientists. You don't get to vote on reality. Get over it. Elected officials that deny the findings of the Science Directorate are subject to immediate impeachment for incompetence.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Schneibster wrote:
But none of those examples have atheism as a cause, you see. It's an effect of them installing a replacement for religion, with the state (and the person of the focus of the personality cult, note how you name a leader there?) replacing "god."

That's nothing atheists want to do. First, separation of church and state; and this includes protection of church from state; the state can neither prescribe nor proscribe, on religious grounds. That however does not permit religions or the religious to commit crimes, whether on religious grounds or not. Based on the evidence, Baptist ministers should be tested regularly for illegal drugs like meth and should have to sign oaths that they will not engage in illicit sex before their churches can get federal tax relief, and the same should be true of Catholic officials with regard to children.

Those who live in glass houses should avoid throwing stones. I think Kung Fu Tze said that; he's known in the West as Confucius.
I am saying that the replacement of religion with ideology is unavoidable, that it will default to that even if not intended. That the irrational side of the human mind will simply substitute one for the other eventually. For instance separation of church and state does not preclude the state imposing whatever ideology it wants to. In fact it can be used by the state to muzzle and ultimately suppress religion entirely under the auspices of "separating" it, while conveniently replacing it with its ideological beliefs, a quasi-religion in all but name. The Nazi gassed the Jews, because their "god" the Fuhrer told them it was "right", that they were only following the laws of nature to assume their rightful place as the master race. Atheism will inevitably default to some kind of ideological state worshiping based beliefs because the human animal will yearn for such, the need to believe in something, have faith in something. Remove religion and it will be ideology, or you will end up being conquered, enslaved, converted (or murdered) by an intolerant virulent religion that does not brock what it sees as heresy. How many ultra-rational atheists who don't believe in much other than a general preference for "reason", "logic", etc., would willingly if not enthusiastically wire themselves up with explosives and blow themselves to kingdom come, as long as they get to take a bunch of unbelievers with them? People who fanatically believe in something will go the extra mile to impose their point of view on another even at the cost of their own lives.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Schneibster wrote:Oh and BTW I think you're on a lee shore with number 33 anyway.
?! WTF does that mean?

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

williatw wrote:I am saying that the replacement of religion with ideology is unavoidable, that it will default to that even if not intended. That the irrational side of the human mind will simply substitute one for the other eventually.
Actually I agree and feel that the best countermeasure is a religion-- if you wish to call it that, maybe "post-religion" would be better-- that embraces the teachings of our olders, all the best parts of all the holy books, but without the superstition and super magic daddies in the sky and the focus on souls being immortal. Your soul perishes with you; your reputation is all you leave. But that's all anyone ever has; and you still hear the names of Galen, of Aristotle, of Hippocrates, of Democritus, of Pythagoras, do you not?

I think psychologists should consult with all the heads of all the faiths and compare their beliefs with reality, and from that which remains make a universal human religion that recognizes the essential dignity and rights of the human spirit that lives in each of us while we yet live. Ceremonies of appropriate type, and of various individual faiths as appropriate, should be adapted from the "best practices" of the available religions, and rather than dishonor and disrespect thousands of years of human culture we take from it that which is best and honor it all. We'll need a new Holy Book. That should be the outcome, finally. But without all the fairy tales. Just a clear-eyed evaluation of the state of the human spirit and of the best practices we know for sustaining it.

And no more statements of infallibility, or that the Holy Book must not be changed. It will change for a very long time to come; perhaps forever. The procedures for changing it must be well-documented, non-confrontational, and regularly used.
williatw wrote:For instance separation of church and state does not preclude the state imposing whatever ideology it wants to.
The Constitution must rule the state. When it ceases to expect tyranny.
williatw wrote:Atheism will inevitably default to some kind of ideological state worshiping based beliefs because the human animal will yearn for such, the need to believe in something, have faith in something.
Not if we make a real religion, one not based on lies and fairy tales. One that says we should be good to each other and respect our olders (but remember they're easily future shocked and so are we) and all the other good things that all the religions say, like not hating and not killing and not stealing and so forth. Why should we be held by the archaic obsolete beliefs of drunk or insane neolithic sheep herders? It's the space age, not the stone age. We need space age religion.

There are no gods.

We evolved.

The universe came from a quantum vacuum fluctuation in the cosmological constant of a very small region in an 11-dimensional überverse whose characteristic is that it has nothing but so-called "small" dimensions; dimensions that are still wound up like the additional six dimensions in our universe whose degrees of freedom result in electromagnetism and the strong or color and weak nuclear forces. The dimensions we currently think of as "up-down," "in-out," and "back-forth" as well as the time dimension (which is hyperbolic and worth a whole huge long post all on its own) are all small in this überverse; but the small region that will later be our universe is suddenly differentiated from the rest of the überverse because it is expanding. Not only that, it is expanding exponentially. In the next 10^-43 seconds, it will expand from many orders of magnitude smaller than a proton to 40 billion light years, and that's the minimum. We can't tell how much farther it might have gotten; but we know it got to at least 40 billion light years, because we can either see it or see things that were affected by it, and they're all like here.

Then the inflaton, the field that the cosmological constant in Einstein's Field Equation measures, collapses; and all the cosmological constant energy that has been accumulated by the expansion of that many-times-smaller-than-a-proton space to 40 billion light years undergoes vacuum decay, and is dumped as mass-energy into the newly created 4 dimensional spacetime of our universe. And that's the beginning of the Big Bang. This is the true story of the creation of our universe. The Milky Way Galaxy is a very small mote in all of this. And in fact the entire filament that contains the Virgo Supercluster of Galaxies is pretty small. It's surrounded on either side by two enormous voids, completely free of galaxies and (as far as we can tell) matter, other than dark matter, and in fact most of the universe we can see (which today is more like a hundred billion light years wide, since the universe has started accelerated expansion seven billion years ago due to dark energy, aka cosmological constant, aka inflaton) catching up to and surpassing forever the slowing of expansion due to gravity. Our universe will die in the cold and dark, or in a Big Rip, not in a Big Crunch. We know that now. And it will be many trillions of years before it does. The universe is very young yet and is full of energy and opportunity.

The Galaxy formed, its core black hole was created, starforming arms developed from the wrinkles it makes (and other galaxies passing by tweak), and eventually there were enough supernovae accumulated that Population I stars like our Sun started being born, along with large solar nebulae that made rocky planets like Earth. That's where Earth came from.

Do I need to continue with life?
williatw wrote:Remove religion and it will be ideology, or you will end up being conquered, enslaved, converted (or murdered) by an intolerant virulent religion that does not brock what it sees as heresy. How many ultra-rational atheists who don't believe in much other than a general preference for "reason", "logic", etc., would willingly if not enthusiastically wire themselves up with explosives and blow themselves to kingdom come, as long as they get to take a bunch of unbelievers with them? People who fanatically believe in something will go the extra mile to impose their point of view on another even at the cost of their own lives.
Personally I wouldn't blow myself up to prove a religious point, or to kill religious people. I might if someone raped and murdered by wife or mother, but this is the stuff of adolescent fantasies. More likely I'd buy a .45 and confront them and shoot them and either shoot myself or take my chances. I don't have what it takes to torture someone. I step on spiders, though.

We need new religion, better religion, religion that doesn't accept fairy tales but that doesn't necessarily reject all the lessons of the past. No more gods, or spirits, or imaginary places beyond the sky or under the ground, or angels or devils, or any of this other crap. Just people and their mortal spirits that die with them, except the parts everyone remembers in their descendents or their writings.

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

williatw wrote:
Schneibster wrote:Oh and BTW I think you're on a lee shore with number 33 anyway.
?! WTF does that mean?
A "lee shore" is a shore the wind is driving your sailing ship toward, usually with sharp rocks, and big waves from the wind.

In context it means I think you're breaking up on the rocks for picking the Nazis first, specifically because of Baez' Crackpot Index number 33.

Number 33 is Baez' Crackpot Index number 33, which refers to accusing your enemies of being Nazis and Hitler and so forth and awards 40 crackpot points for it.

Do try to keep up.

In other words you argued "atheists == Hitler."

Hitler wasn't an atheist.

Maybe you forgot.