A few questions about the polywell design

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Robthebob

A few questions about the polywell design

Post by Robthebob »

Well, first of all, I just want to say, I think I'm preparing to give my life for this method. Even tho, I'm still a little concerned with the validity of this method. It's probably not going to be another "cold fusion embarrassment", but I really need to know this is true, that this is real.

I just have a few questions I thought up while thinking about this design.

From what I can understand, which is not a lot, basically, magnetic field to control the location of the electron, which are all going to be near the center region of the device. Then you put in ions that will super accelerate toward the center and hit other ions, in which case they would either hit each other and fuse, or they will bounce back, and since they are elementary particles, it's safe to assume that they will have conservation of momentum, so their speed wont change, they will just go in the opposite direction, get so far, and get pulled back toward the center again. Or they will miss, and go toward the center again.

Here are my questions.

1. How can the electrons be able to all be near the center if their similar charges will repel each other.

2. When the ions gets near the center of the device, wouldn't the electrons move toward the positively charged ions? In which case, the ion will grab the electron and become neutral.

3. Oh yeah, I had this idea of making the coils out of superconductor, put them in this insolator and fill the whole thing with liquid nitrogen, you know, make it cold enough to allow the superconductor to work, then you dont even need to supply a constant current through the coils in order to maintain the magnetic field. How does that sound?

I will post more of the questions later.

Edit:

I read what one of the post told me to read, and am I getting this wrong? Is there suppose to be something in the center of the device? Some type of grid? I thought it's all just empty space at the center of the device, cus if there were objects at the center region, then the ions wont be running into each other.

Oh yeah, so the hydrogens are already at the center of the device? How are they held in place?

Also, I was wondering if anyone know about some form of intern position at that lab... cus I would jump on that really quick, do it like one summer or something.

Oh yeah, so let me get this stright about the whole ions running into electrons. Since these objects are all rather tiny, the whole place is basically empty space. Perhaps the ions, when they get close to an electron, their positions may be affected, but since the ion is so fast, the electrons wont even have the time to grab onto the ion's electron cloud region. I guess that makes sense.

What do you mean the electrons are cold/slow? Dont they have to move at what? 1/2 speed of light no matter what? I mean I guess the magnetic force may be strong enough to hold them in that region no matter what...
Last edited by Robthebob on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Hello Robthebob,
Welcome to Talk-Polywell. Hope your stay here is productive. May I suggest you have a look at Joe Strout's index page here. The material on that will probably get you up to speed. In particular, the page by MSimon here.

Regards,
Tony Barry

bcglorf

Re: A few questions about the polywell design

Post by bcglorf »

Robthebob wrote:Well, first of all, I just want to say, I think I'm preparing to give my life for this method. Even tho, I'm still a little concerned with the validity of this method. It's probably not going to be another "cold fusion embarrassment", but I really need to know this is true, that this is real.

I just have a few questions I thought up while thinking about this design.

From what I can understand, which is not a lot, basically, magnetic field to control the location of the electron, which are all going to be near the center region of the device. Then you put in ions that will super accelerate toward the center and hit other ions, in which case they would either hit each other and fuse, or they will bounce back, and since they are elementary particles, it's safe to assume that they will have conservation of momentum, so their speed wont change, they will just go in the opposite direction, get so far, and get pulled back toward the center again. Or they will miss, and go toward the center again.

Here are my questions.

1. How can the electrons be able to all be near the center if their similar charges will repel each other.

2. When the ions gets near the center of the device, wouldn't the electrons move toward the positively charged ions? In which case, the ion will grab the electron and become neutral.

I will post more of the questions later.
1. The electrons are forced to a higher density in the center with the magnets. The basic design is that the arrangement of magnets is set up so there are only small holes in it the electrons can escape through. The magnets are then given a positive charge so that electrons that are pushed out the holes circle back in again. The magnets basically create a situation where the electron density in the core is much higher than outside the magnetic grid.

2.The ions don't bond with the electrons because they are simply moving too fast. The ions won't neutralize unless they slow down, a lot. The trick is to get them to fuse before that can happen.

Roger

Re: A few questions about the polywell design

Post by Roger »

Robthebob wrote: 2. When the ions gets near the center of the device, wouldn't the electrons move toward the positively charged ions?
You are saying fusion cant occur, that the well doesnt form in the presence of ions.

Slow/cold/small electrons wont even see the fast Big Ions.

Sounds a bit like Todd Rider.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.