Electromagnets through plasma?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MrE

Electromagnets through plasma?

Post by MrE »

<Outside_Box>
I am wondering if there would be any advantages of energizing a mixture of hydrogen to the state of plasma with the intent to use the current flow to induce a magnetic field for the magrid.

1) Would the magnetic field made by pumping current through a low pressure hydrogen stream in a coiled tube system be "better" than a copper wire? Worse?

2) I was imagining a steady flow of hydrogen being energized, the magnetic field being used for magrid electron protection, then the hydrogen would be injected into the center of the polywell through a very small nozzle.

</Outside_Box>

:)

drmike

Post by drmike »

You don't really want to mess with hydrogen. It's an exothermic reaction with oxygen (watch a space shuttle launch sometime) and it tends to bleed thru materials. Way worse :)

Look at all the trouble people have had trying to build H2 systems for autos over the past 40 years. It's just hard to deal with.

MrE

Post by MrE »

Roger that. It was just a waking dream. It looked much cooler in my mind than what it would most likely look like in reality. :)

Post by 93143 »

So, kind of like an electro plasma conduit from Star Trek...?

MrE

Post by MrE »

I was never aware that is what they are.(plasma conduits) Sounds nifty, however. ENGAGE!
Since hydrogen is so small and bleeds through material maybe that could be the hydrogen injection system! lol. Bleed it through the walls kind of like how a fuel cell allows hydrogen to permeate through the small holes it has in order to mix with Oxygen. Modulate the charge and you can encourage or discourage the bleed rate through fuel cell injection ports. Don't read the previous text otherwise you will turn into a star fleet officer.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Yeah, they had problems with hydrogen flooding in the WB series anyway, and that was just from hydrogen being pinged out of the metal.

It also leaks badly enough that this is considered a major obstacle to using it as a replacement for natural gas.

cuddihy

Post by cuddihy »

It's an interesting idea though. Anybody know if it's been tried somewhere? (with something other than H perhaps?.. and other than a flourescent bulb)
Tom.Cuddihy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faith is the foundation of reason.

MrE

Post by MrE »

Yeah, maybe helium could be used, energized to plasma state and run current through it. With the intent of the magnetic field of high(sufficient for the needs) teslas without using superconductors. The coil would be made of ceramics with high thermal conductivity and very high dielectric strength. I am a fan of boron nitride or even created diamond.

I am not familiar with a "super fluid" but it is my understanding that electrical resistance decreases once a plasma reaches a certain energy level. Though, heat is also at a high level at that point if my understanding is at least arm chair physicist level. :-)

On a side note, I have begun construction on my 500watt RF power supplies and have been drawing in 3ds max what I envision the reactor will look like and how it will function.