9/11 - Twin Towers - Fusion Steels

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

9/11 - Twin Towers - Fusion Steels

Post by MSimon »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7607473.stm

The key advance is the understanding that, at high temperatures, tiny irregularities in a steel's structure can disrupt its internal magnetic fields, making the rigid metal soft.

"Steels melt at about 1,150C (2,102F), but lose strength at much lower temperatures," explained Dr Sergei Dudarev, principal scientist at the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA).
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Yes, I was informed about this article on the Culham intranet.

Its quite exciting that fusion research might allow us to build skyscrapers that can stand up to an attack from a boeing-747!

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Are they talking about Curie Point? The BBC thing is short on technical details. Are they looking at single-crystal steel?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

JohnP wrote:Are they talking about Curie Point? The BBC thing is short on technical details. Are they looking at single-crystal steel?
My guess would be single crystal steel.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

I recall several years ago a note about single crystal metals being studied for jet engine turbines, a decidedly high temperature application. Crystal grain boundaries are implicated in metal creep and loss of strength. Nano crystaline and amorphous metals are other interesting directions for advanced materials. I don't know how they would react to elevated temperatures.