Paper on Muon Catalysed Fusion

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

RERT

Paper on Muon Catalysed Fusion

Post by RERT »

"Roles of resonant muonic molecule in new kinetics model and muon catalyzed fusion in compressed gas"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-09487-0#Sec6

This is mostly above my pay grade, but if I'm reading figure 6 correctly they are talking about 1 muon catalysing ~80 fusion reactions at 100 atmospheres and 1500K. Also, the following caught my eye. From the conclusion, though doubtless grant-seeking and optimistic:

"The present results pave the way for future development of a μCF-based compact fusion reactor."

Giorgio

Re: Paper on Muon Catalysed Fusion

Post by Giorgio »

RERT wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:12 pm
From the conclusion, though doubtless grant-seeking and optimistic:

"The present results pave the way for future development of a μCF-based compact fusion reactor."
As you said correctly, this is indeed a paper mainly grant-seeking and (too much) optimistic.
They built a tailored mathematical model based on a pool of disparate experimental data giving an optimistic behavior for the formation of resonant muonic molecules and all supported by advantageous choices when the math model was branching......

I am always happy to see new ideas for experimental fusion routes, but this one seems too much surrounded of wishful thinking in the modelling.
The authors also probably realized this and in the last paragraph ("Future improvements of the kinetics model") they offered three major issues, each one of whom could nullify the proposed model. Considering all the assumptions they made while using the three-body scattering calculations I doubt that this model will withstand the four-body scattering calculation as they proposed.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.