Another one from Alan Boyle

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Tom Ligon wrote:Just to make sure you are aware, the comments that follow Boyle's Nebel interview continue on a second page. There are three rounds of back-and-forth between Carlson and Nebel at this time, the latest made by Dr. Nebel about an hour ago as this is posted.
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 7.aspx?p=1

Just to make it easy to follow.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

This electron density measurement thing is thread drift, but heck!

I'm not up on the tech, but it is supposedly possible to do some plasma or electron density measurements with a laser beam. At the time we brought up this idea, Dr. Bussard did the calculations and determined we were a couple of orders of magnitude below the density needed for a measurment using lasers. But Dr. Nebel's hints suggest the density may now be higher, so possibly it is in the realm of lasers. That could be significantly cheaper.

When I designed the big chamber used on WB6, it had some ports at odd angles and chords intended for the future installation of such beams. If you have access to photos of the new chamber, see if there are any ports suitable for running chords or off-axis lines.

drmike

Post by drmike »

You can use masers too if the density is low. It's the frequency tightness that helps determine what the density is. Lasers are nicer because they can be swept through much
smaller volumes. If you look at the reflected power, you will get a peak when the electron plasma frequency (i.e. density) matches the incoming RF. These are really fun diagnostics to build. :D

charliem

Post by charliem »

Interesting. Carlson seems to be softening up a bit.

Maybe Dr Nebel is giving him some new data he didn't new of before.

Anyway looks like Carlson is giving more time to writing his critics than he is to gathering information about what he criticizes.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Isn't it time for another monthly article? Even if just "work continues as usual"...

just_an_observer

email Alan Boyle

Post by just_an_observer »

I hadn't bothered Alan Boyle for an update since I'm on vacation, but also because I suspect at this point there is nothing new to tell based on what we got last time. The machine is running and they're collecting data. I'm guessing that they (Dr Nebel and company) are not really going to say much else until the peer review is over, and or the funding runs out in August and they're not bound by the government contract. Just my guess. I'll email him anyway to see if he wants to do another follow-up. The follow-up I'm really interested in though will be around the beginning of September after their contract with the government is up. But then of course, if the government chooses to renew the contract, then we might still not get any juicy details, and a contract renewal in itself could be interpreted in more than one way.

Fred

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

In any case, Dr. Nebel has been posting here every few days, including today, especially in the back and forth with Art Carlson. This forum has a nice search feature ... click on rnebel any place you see one of his posts, and it will find them all, something like 47 at present. He has been quite forthcoming with some of the basics of theory and practice.

His post today is under theory, the electron recirculation topic.

viewtopic.php?t=636&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I thought so too, but the only way to know for sure was to ask. Thanks.