New Superconductor Found "Immune To Magnetism"

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

charliem

Post by charliem »

TallDave wrote:Unlike a tokamak, there isn't a plasma-generated B field.
The only way I can think of that the plasma inside the machine deform the coils B-field to make a wiffle-ball is by creating its own field.

That is, the magnetic w-b would be the result of the interaction of the coils generated B-field and the plasma generated B-field.

Is there any other way I dont see?

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

MSimon wrote:
TallDave wrote:
A calculated 62,000 times increase in density vs ITER with 10 T magnets. ITER is using 20 T magnets.
Actually, I think the 6 in 62500 was a typo. Based on his numbers in that post, it looks like he meant 2500 (unless I'm missing something). Still very impressive, though.

As he points out, that's even without ion focussing.
I did a quick in my head and Nebel's number seemed OK. But even a 2,500X increase in density is excellent.
Hmmm, now I think that was my mistake and that the difference in ion density is squared to get the power density change (250 ^ 2 = 62500). I probably just missed the change in which density he was talking about.
What you will find is that the average density of ITER is ~ 1.0e20/m**3. If you use the formula I sent you for the Polywell, you will get a density ~ 2.5e22/m**3.
That's 250, not 2500. Apparently my own density was the problem.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

charliem wrote:
TallDave wrote:Unlike a tokamak, there isn't a plasma-generated B field.
The only way I can think of that the plasma inside the machine deform the coils B-field to make a wiffle-ball is by creating its own field.

That is, the magnetic w-b would be the result of the interaction of the coils generated B-field and the plasma generated B-field.

Is there any other way I dont see?
Well, the electrons push back on the magnetic field because they want to get away from each other and kiss the positive Magrid. It's electron pressure, as I understand it.

drmike

Post by drmike »

There's a couple of ways to think about it. One is to look at the electrons spinning around the B field lines (they gyro part in gyroradius) and in the process they create a B field in the opposite direction to the external field.
(If they didn't we could build perpetual motion machines.)

When enough electrons and ions are spinning around the external B field lines you get a reduction in the total field. That causes the gyroradius to grow, which allows the external field to take over again. So there is a constant balance.

The higher the pressure, the more ions and electrons there are OR the faster they are moving, or both. The net end effect is that the B field is reduced.

You can call it "pushing" on the B field, because that is what it looks like.

charliem

Post by charliem »

drmike wrote:When enough electrons and ions are spinning around the external B field lines you get a reduction in the total field. That causes the gyroradius to grow, which allows the external field to take over again. So there is a constant balance.

The higher the pressure, the more ions and electrons there are OR the faster they are moving, or both. The net end effect is that the B field is reduced.
The B field is reduced inside the electron gyroradius but increased outside it, so the macroscopic field is lessened inside plasma's high density regions, and increased outside them. Right?

drmike

Post by drmike »

Superposition applies - the fields from the electron currents add to the external fields (generated by other currents...) So yes, since it's a dipole it'd have to. It would look like
the B field is being pushed back towards the MaGrid coils if there is enough current
flowing.