Something stirring - Blacklight Power

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

nferguso

Something stirring - Blacklight Power

Post by nferguso »

There is a potentially sensational press release from Blacklight Power that is relevant to this interest group. Blogospheric interest is starting to build. I think it's worth watching. No I am not hyping it.

http://www.blacklightpower.com
http://pesn.com/2008/05/29/9500481_Blac ... lly_ready/
http://www.blacklightpower.com/presenta ... 062007.pdf

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Every mention of Mills' work I've seen has pegged people's skepticality (to put it politely) levels, so far... This all the way back to the early BLP days. For example, that his theories/math are inconsistent, or don't do what he pretends they do...
So this should be interesting, either confirming and settling things probably for good, or reversing the trend and giving most people food for new thoughts.

pstudier

Post by pstudier »

Betruger wrote:So this should be interesting, either confirming and settling things probably for good, or reversing the trend and giving most people food for new thoughts.
Mills is a nutcase, but this will no more go away than will cold fusion. If he were right, then Hydrinos should be common in the universe. Astronomers would have already discovered them. He could be selling bottles of them to scientists and collect a Nobel prize. Long before he could commercialize a 50kW unit, he should demonstrate a 50 W unit. For more words than the concept deserves, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrino . By the way, I am still waiting for delivery of my cold fusion water heater which was promised years ago.
Fusion is easy, but break even is horrendous.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The Cold Fusion guys are up to around 30 W real output. All they have to do is increase the performance by 100X and lower the cost by the same amount and get them running for 100,000 hours of continuous operation and they will have something.

Of course BFRs have so far put out about 1E-6J give or take an order of magnitude or two. So the CF guys are further along.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I think I calculated .001 watts for WB-6 when I was trying to figure out if the light detected by the PMT was from fusion. Of course, we have scaling laws well-grounded in conventional physics.

From what I remember of Blacklight Power, it seems pretty far-fetched. I'd put them a step below Lerner, maybe a step above the Sonship "free electricity" guys.

Solo

Post by Solo »

It always amazes me when bright people go off and try to hoodwink others instead of doing something productive. You gotta hand it to him, that's a creative idea, but it's also preposterous. Of course, this is coming from someone who's had two semesters of QM @ university; most investors are lost as soon as you say 'quantum.'

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Yeah, it's hard to read the stuff about "hydrinos" without bursting out laughing.

It's amazing how these outfits keep getting money. I bet I could start a company called Phlogiston Systems and get seven figure funding.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

TallDave wrote:I think I calculated .001 watts for WB-6 when I was trying to figure out if the light detected by the PMT was from fusion. Of course, we have scaling laws well-grounded in conventional physics.

From what I remember of Blacklight Power, it seems pretty far-fetched. I'd put them a step below Lerner, maybe a step above the Sonship "free electricity" guys.
.001 watt for 1 mS = 1E-6J

The CF guys have been putting out the 30W for hours, maybe days.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Yeah, I've been following BLP for years. Their staying power is amazing. Usually these guys book after getting the investment money.

Back in the 70's when I was a teenager working the counter at an electronics wholesaler, around the corner there was this Rory Johnson guy who set up a storefront business. He claimed he'd invented a thermonuclear car engine and he was going to put Detroit out of business. Several investors came with money. Some months later he skipped to California and then conveniently died, though I wonder if he's lounging around a pool somewhere, hiding behind designer sunglasses and a new name.

rcain

Post by rcain »

...interesting spectral lines though - where do they come from?

brickle

Post by brickle »

TallDave wrote:Yeah, it's hard to read the stuff about "hydrinos" without bursting out laughing.

It's amazing how these outfits keep getting money. I bet I could start a company called Phlogiston Systems and get seven figure funding.
I've seen the same thing happen in many industries.

You take a good guy with a good idea that can improve on the cost/performance of the industry standard product by 5%.

Put him in a room with a hustler that has nothing but vapor, who claims he can improve cost/performance by 150%. All he has to do to make it work is violate the laws of space and time, arbitrarily move a couple of decimal places and have retarded spider monkeys for customers

Send in an investor. Guess who gets the start up capital?

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

MSimon wrote:The CF guys have been putting out the 30W...
The accounting and measurement methods behind those figures is in dispute.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Fraud.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

hanelyp wrote:
MSimon wrote:The CF guys have been putting out the 30W...
The accounting and measurement methods behind those figures is in dispute.
Say it isn't so. ;-)

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

Call me crazy but ........ if i was Illuminati and hell bent on keeping power and controll over the Human Race through all my legacy energy resources. I would delight in giving capital to every quack energy scheme except the one that was going to work. Causing distraction and confusion while pushing oil to + $200 a barrell because the game is up.
Purity is Power