14th US-Japan Workshop on IECF

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Ivy Matt

14th US-Japan Workshop on IECF

Post by Ivy Matt »

The list of posters and presentations is now up:

http://www.aero.umd.edu/sedwick/posters.html

Some PDFs are available for download, and some are not. Unfortunately, Dr. Nebel's presentation is not presently available for download. However, the title is "Electron-Electron Two-Stream Instabilities and Ion Acoustic Instabilitities in Virtual Cathode IEC Devices". Sounds pretty foreboding.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Or not.

Maybe Joseph will get some answers he can accept this time.

No matter, will be interesting none-the-less. I will be happy to see how the Aussies are making out, as well as the latest number crunch from our Canadian friend.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Also looks like Miley's second presentation will be good.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

jcoady

Post by jcoady »

Joel Rogers has a polywell presentation.

http://www.aero.umd.edu/sedwick/present ... tation.pdf

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have it open on my desk to read, but have not got to it yet. Real job is getting in the way...

I looked at the POPs one already.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Just looked at Joel's. The magnet casings worry me. If what he is showing is right, he has missed the bus with Bussard's point about conformal & no sharp edges.

I like that he is going for cooled coils.

Some of his numbers remain suspect. But, he feels the need to go with a hardware experiment. Be interesting to see if he pulls it off.

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

jcoady wrote:Joel Rogers has a polywell presentation.

http://www.aero.umd.edu/sedwick/present ... tation.pdf

Square cross section magnets?
Hasn't read polywell history?

EDIT beat me to it
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Miley's DEC one was interesting.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Takena was good as well for DEC

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Must read for Gummersall and Kachan.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yamamoto was also interesting.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

ladajo wrote:Just looked at Joel's. The magnet casings worry me. If what he is showing is right, he has missed the bus with Bussard's point about conformal & no sharp edges.

I like that he is going for cooled coils.

Some of his numbers remain suspect. But, he feels the need to go with a hardware experiment. Be interesting to see if he pulls it off.
Joel Rogers noted the importance of the conformal casings when he was reminded in another thread. I'm guessing he has not changed the drawing due to the graphics limitations, and/ or he feels that the conformal casings, while good, are not essential to obtain the desired results in terms of scaling and general input requirements for his independent machine design.

It does sound as if he has accumulated the hardware requirements and sources, so only funding is an impediment to building the machine. I do wander though if he has allowed for the necessary increased power source that the non conformal casings might imply if he used WB6 scaling for his estimates. Which is more important, the spacing or the conformal cases? I suspect the spacing is the dominate contributor in the WB6 results (along with the small nubs- instead of the "Doghouses" in WB4).

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I dunno for sure, cause I haven't tried. But that said, everything I have seen would indicate that both shape and spacing matter. The other thing that seems to matter is the volume around the array.

Even the Aussies went to conformal in the last two interations. The current iteration being seeming only par with WB6/7. I need to go and look at the ruler again.

Anyways, looks like there has been some real advancement in the non_EMC2 Polywell world towards scaled physical testing.

I wonder how Marc Suppes is doing with his? Not a lot of noise over at his website lately.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Grrr, Mileys PDFs are not online(yet).
Can anyone give a short summary of what was said?
"Interesting" is good, but kinda broad ;)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The Aussies are pressing ahead with a larger test unit and are looking at scaling. The one photo looked like a 30cm device. (I need to look again).
They also are doing more work on coded sims to back upthe physical testing. They also have bought into the conformal array, and have built a small device, now follwed on by a larger one. The issues for them may be in chamber size being small as compared to the array, and also that they have followed on the earlier EMC2 array with ring connecting nubs.

Joel Rogers is looking to build a physical test rig to test his numbers. He is proposing a 200K project to do so using mostly off the shelf tech. His magnets do not appear to be conformal. That may be an issue. Joel, unlike the aussies has chosen to go with standoff mounted rings, as we believe WB8 is rigged.

Some other good worked has been done in advancing Direct Power Conversion between Miley, UoW and the Japanese. That said, most of the approach has focused on the linear array approach, and little to none on the charge capture method. Miley and the Japanese seem to be thinking space propulsion.
Also some work done on looking at two stream.

All in all it looks like a good year driving ahead with more folks going to physical test vice arguing sim code.

Nebel is slated to post as well but it is not up yet.