MSNBC Reports First Plasma WB-7

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

MSNBC Reports First Plasma WB-7

Post by MSimon »

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... lasma.html

"We're not out trying to make a big splash on any of this stuff at this point," Nebel said. But he said he's hoping to find out by this spring whether or not Bussard's concept is worth pursuing with a larger demonstration project.

The initial analysis showed that Bussard's data on energy yields were consistent with expectations, Nebel said.

"We don't know for sure whether all that's right," he said, "but it'd be horrible for Mother Nature to give you what you expect to see, and have it all be bogus."
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Thank you for this post, Simon. Much appreciated. What I cannot understand is why the WB7 people do not advertise / report progress here. Perhaps Tom Ligon can offer some insights?

Regards,
Tony Barry

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

They are trying to keep a low profile.

All my sources have dried up for the time being.

Tom sent me news about two weeks ago about the reactor vessel being delivered, I promised to say nothing until I got some word from open sources.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Thanks for the tip. More Military Security, I guess.

Regards,
Tony Barry

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I'd think that even with rumored support by some in congress, it's still politically fragile. So it's better to not blab too much and give the process a safe space to develop in due course.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

John,

Instapundit linked to the MSNBC article. The word is out.

BTW I noted in my referer logs at my blog that somebody from Chevron was looking at it around 2 AM CST last night. (around 0800 GMT).

Our best bet for dealing with the political fallout is to build a constituency for it. Every one knows we are going to need this sooner or later. Sooner is better.

Simon

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

MSimon wrote:Our best bet for dealing with the political fallout is to build a constituency for it. Every one knows we are going to need this sooner or later. Sooner is better.
Sooner indeed.

I'm not qualified to know who had the physics right.

I hope Bussard was but fear he was not.

Even if he was, the engineering tasks that lie ahead are enormous and may be insurmountable.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:
MSimon wrote:Our best bet for dealing with the political fallout is to build a constituency for it. Every one knows we are going to need this sooner or later. Sooner is better.
Sooner indeed.

I'm not qualified to know who had the physics right.

I hope Bussard was but fear he was not.

Even if he was, the engineering tasks that lie ahead are enormous and may be insurmountable.
scareduck,

At every point I checked over the last year where I had my doubts Dr. B. has proved correct.

So far I have a solution for every engineering problem I have found. I have been looking hard and thinking a lot because I want this to work. No surprises. I don't want to paper over any of the difficulties. That would only harm the project. So if you think that a point has been missed - bring it up. There are no stupid questions. Every thing needs a review. I want every bit hard pounded. Engineering the way it ought to be done.

Dr. Mike has been looking over my shoulder and feels that we have at least a first cut for the tough stuff. Of course details will need to be worked out and mfg methods developed. Still as far as I can see there is nothing to stop us. And I do mean us.

Even if you are just cheering from the sidelines or asking difficult questions you are helping to move things forward and keeping morale up.

I'm ready to work 12 hour days for 5 years to get this over the top. (I think with a really big push it can be done in 3).

BTW Tom Ligon sends regards to all and is encouraged by what he has heard out of Santa Fe.

choff

WB7 1st plasma

Post by choff »

This is exciting, I didn't expect to hear anything from emc2 for at least 2 more months. Maybe I should send an email to my local MP Raymond Chan. He worked at TRW before getting into politics, designed and built a machine. Do you think it could help?

Best $100.00 I ever spent!!!
CHoff

MSimon

Re: WB7 1st plasma

Post by MSimon »

choff wrote:This is exciting, I didn't expect to hear anything from emc2 for at least 2 more months. Maybe I should send an email to my local MP Raymond Chan. He worked at TRW before getting into politics, designed and built a machine. Do you think it could help?

Best $100.00 I ever spent!!!
Yes. Pressure the polls every where. It will make the US spend more and move faster. And we can afford it.

BTW was the $100 a campaign contribution?

choff

Post by choff »

Nope, it was for emc2fusion, I wouldn't spent 2 bits donating to a Canadian political party.
CHoff

dch24

Post by dch24 »

(cheering from the sidelines)

I'll also spend some quality time hand-optimizing the virtual polywells. But mostly I'll cheer. :)

Roger

Post by Roger »

I cant wait. Great update.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Roger,

Just checked your latest diary.

You need to correct the guy who is hung up on heating. Explain that it is a beam machine (like a linear accelerator) not a temperature driven one like a tokamak.

You can quote me. :-)

Roger

Post by Roger »

LOL, yeah I saw that.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.