House Bill - Focus On Fusion

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

House Bill - Focus On Fusion

Post by MSimon »

In the process of reauthorizing the America Competes Act, which is a hodge-podge of programs to try to support science and technology and math education, the House has passed a bill that, for the first time in 30 years, calls for a "stronger focus" on "developing enabling technologies required to practically harness fusion power for reliable baseload electricity." For decades, fusion has been a (severely underfunded) "science" program, with virtually no engineering, technology, or materials development allowed. This has allowed almost every other country in the world engaged in fusion research to leap ahead of the once pace-setting U.S. fusion effort.

According sources in the fusion community, the reformulation of the goals of the fusion program, including to "establish or solidify a lead in global fusion energy development," was the work of a House Science & Technology staffer, who earned his PhD in plasma physics at Princeton, and has worked in the Department of Energy fusion program.
http://www.larouchepac.com/node/15131

Yeah. The source is dodgy. I'll see if I can find more. Question? Is this good or bad for small fusion?
SEC. 603. OFFICE OF SCIENCE ACTIVITIES.- Directs the Secretary of Energy to carry out research activities in science supporting the missions of the Department, including programs on basic energy sciences, biological and environmental research, advanced scientific computing research, fusion energy sciences, high energy physics, and nuclear physics.

Instructs the Department’s Under Secretary for Science to ensure the coordination with the other activities of the Department, and support joint activities among the Department’s programs.
http://www.science.house.gov/legislatio ... ewsID=2815

from 7 June 2010:
Congressman Garamendi joined Congressman Brian Bilbray (R-CA) in offering an amendment to the COMPETES Act that would require the Director of the Office of Science to prepare for the reliable, safe, sustainable, and economically competitive transfer of fusion power from public research to commercial development. In en earlier markup of a portion of this legislation, Garamendi successfully inserted language that directs the Department of Energy to create a roadmap for fusion energy production no later than 180 after the release of a National Academies report on inertial fusion energy research.

"I'd like to thank Congressman Garamendi for his leadership in offering this important amendment to America COMPETES," said Dr. George Miller, Director of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory regarding the previously included markup. "I strongly support both the National Academy of Sciences study of the implications of the progress made in fusion energy -- and the incorporation of any relevant recommendations from that study into a plan for implementation."

"Livermore’s National Ignition Facility may be on the cusp of developing the next great clean energy advance: fusion power," Congressman Garamendi said. "As their research brings us closer to a fusion powered future, we must prepare for the commercial development of this technology. Our amendment makes sure that once fusion technology is harnessed, we will put it to work creating clean energy and green jobs as soon as possible."

http://garamendi.house.gov/2010/04/gara ... atio.shtml

so basically it is pork for Livermore. Who'da guessed?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Enginerd

Re: House Bill - Focus On Fusion

Post by Enginerd »

MSimon wrote:Garamendi successfully inserted language that directs the Department of Energy to create a roadmap for fusion energy production no later than 180 after the release of a National Academies report on inertial fusion energy research.
What is this report? Has Livermore been doing IEC fusion research?

DeltaV

Re: House Bill - Focus On Fusion

Post by DeltaV »

Enginerd wrote:
MSimon wrote:Garamendi successfully inserted language that directs the Department of Energy to create a roadmap for fusion energy production no later than 180 after the release of a National Academies report on inertial fusion energy research.
What is this report? Has Livermore been doing IEC fusion research?
Inertial Confinement (laser compression, NIF) != Inertial Electrostatic/dynamic Confinement (fusors, Polywell)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And as a reminder, where is Livermore and who sponsered this???

It is always about PORK, rarely does congress do anything that is actually a no-kidding good idea.

Speaking of that, I finally watched the lab interview video of Famulus, and was disappointed to note NO MENTION OF POLYWELL. Then the interview conducted in the CNN NY Studio, was very limited in discussing Polywell. He did manage to get a plug in for Rick's work, but I am not so inclined to call it an "active" plug.
What we need is a mainstream media direct pickup of Polywell, to include an attempt to delve into the work at Santa Fe. Then you might see the Distinguished Gentlepersons from New Mexico lobbying for money in federal bills.
The Recovery Act move was a slight of hand trick...and well played.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

What we need is a mainstream media direct pickup of Polywell, to include an attempt to delve into the work at Santa Fe. Then you might see the Distinguished Gentlepersons from New Mexico lobbying for money in federal bills.
Till EMC's had time to bang on WB8 a while, and reported positive results, that would be premature. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think more money or attention would help at this point.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Apparently anything going to DOE is going to Big Fusion. They seem very dismissive of small fusion efforts, probably to their detriment. They are going to be very red-faced if the Navy or private sector succeeds where they failed.

I agree with JohnP. WB-8 is exactly what we need right now. We need to show good confinement, then get more money. If WB-8 does what it's supposed to, a clamor will arise.
Congressman Garamendi joined Congressman Brian Bilbray (R-CA) in offering an amendment to the COMPETES Act that would require the Director of the Office of Science to prepare for the reliable, safe, sustainable, and economically competitive transfer of fusion power from public research to commercial development.

Ha, that's going to be a short conversation.

Utilities: "So, how much does this tokamak cost, per kilowatt hour...? Uh huh. Well, thanks for stopping by."
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Roger

Post by Roger »

I agree with MSimon and go as far as saying everytings hunky dory. Last year I visited the offices of my 2 NJ senators with a letter about Polywell. Their staff knows me thru my campaign work, So I can get 5 minutes of face time proper. Contacts like that are how funding gets secured-blogging keeps the growing community informed, anything else is icing on the cake.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.