Faster than Light ?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ravingdave

Faster than Light ?

Post by ravingdave »

Not sure what to make of this. Maybe Dr. Nebel can shed some light :) on this ?

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Health ... than_light

David

kmkramer

Post by kmkramer »

Here's a pre-print of what he is apparently talking about :

http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.0399

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

Ho hum.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

This is Houshang Ardavan's idea dating back a few decades, as being driven by his son Arzhang Ardavan, rehashed for a new decade.

Just like Polywell, it's already had a good run at investment over many years but hasn't delivered on the fine theory. it's a straight-forward idea, the device has been built but.... doesn't do much.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

They know light travels faster in Bose-Einstein condensates. It's of rather limited use though. I figured it was a good place to do some handwavium for a sci-fi series though.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

kunkmiester wrote:They know light travels faster in Bose-Einstein condensates. It's of rather limited use though. I figured it was a good place to do some handwavium for a sci-fi series though.
I thought it was slower. A couple of inches per second in a rubidium BE condensate 'crystal', I thought I'd read somewhere....

For the local speed of light to be faster than c, the medium would have to be less dense than vacuum.

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

chrismb wrote:For the local speed of light to be faster than c, the medium would have to be less dense than vacuum.
The (phase) velocity of electromagnetic waves in a plasma is greater than c. (How's that for getting back on topic?)

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

hmmp... I thought it was group velocity that can go quicker, in such media. I will consider myself corrected.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

I stand corrected. I thought it was faster. Interesting.
Evil is evil, no matter how small