Curiosity rover landing

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

Curiosity rover landing

Post by DeltaV »

NEWS BRIEFING AND TELEVISED EVENT SCHEDULE

I sure hope this works.

If it doesn't, the plan to "discover" that alien artifact will have to be rethunk.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It certainly is high drama. If it doesn't come off NASA will have egg on it's face for years and it will be hard to fund any billion dollar projects in the future.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Curiosity has landed.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Congrats to NASA! I was very sceptical that this was going to work. Glad to hear it did!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yeah Team!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Well done!

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

For those of you in Europe/elsewhere: as an American NASA holds a very small amount of national identity for me, I feel like the organization of NASA is very international and very much shared even though American tax dollars pay for it and Americans run it. I believe that is very good.

I am curious. Internationals of talk-polywell do you feel like NASA also represents you with their science?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Watched it live last night. Had my weekly beer when the first pictures came through. A "Fat Tire" courtesy of #3 son. The speed of light adds considerable suspense. I'm looking forward to the high res color stuff about 1 1/2 days hence.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Maui

Post by Maui »

Anybody else have UStream's site crap out on them at an inconvenient time? On my iPad, flash from NASA's site was not an option. Kinda ironic that the 7 minutes of terror go off without a hitch, but UStream can't get a darn video feed to work.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

bennmann wrote:For those of you in Europe/elsewhere: as an American NASA holds a very small amount of national identity for me, I feel like the organization of NASA is very international and very much shared even though American tax dollars pay for it and Americans run it. I believe that is very good.

I am curious. Internationals of talk-polywell do you feel like NASA also represents you with their science?
yes, absolutely. The US national flag doesnt, but that is of no importance. In one thousand years, the moon landing will have much more importance than the country that did it, specially because I doubt any country from today will still be around in 1000 years.

before being brazilian, I am a human. Mars is not american, nor is brazilian. Even if any planetary body is ever settled by a single Earth country, how long will it last before it becomes independent?

Post by 303 »

now there is talk of sending man to mars, is this a worthwhile goal? or would money be better spent on more probes/landers on other planets in the solar system

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

303 wrote:now there is talk of sending man to mars, is this a worthwhile goal?
Not as another Kennedyan grand stand play.

There needs to be some sort of economic or other social benefit, not just a political whoop-tee-doo.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

But, the quickest route to global government is to fabricate an "alien" threat.
Mission Commander Tyler stepped through the elaborate doorway, into the atrium of the Cydonia "Temple", and stomped the Martian dust off of his boots.

Just then, an overwhelming, bone-rattling, low-frequency hum began to fill the area...
Stella strained her ears to the utmost as she tweaked the demodulation parameters. Suddenly, the message burst forth loud and clear:

"Human trespassers, this is Swarm Leader Gornak of the Vrokian Empire. Your defilement of our sacred site is duly noted. Prepare for your destruction."...

Post by 303 »

love aliens propensity for utilising the queen's english.

perhaps sending man to mars is a waste of time , especially given our current technology. In fact, manned exploration of space is in all likelyhood a pointless exercise, given that machines do the same job with less risk.

However, as a milestone for humanity, it has some appeal

personally i find mars a little dull and 'familiar', would love to see some more exotic world.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Gotta start somewhere.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)