EM Drive

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:Sounds like politics to me.
Also very true.

Nik

Well, some US politicians did try to legislate Pi = 3...

Post by Nik »

IIRC, the motion was hastily voted down but they never got over the opprobium of having it *proposed*...

morganism

Post by morganism »

Any other news after the Chinese test?

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

TallDave wrote:
Ivy Matt wrote:Less than twelve parsecs. :wink:
Does that only apply in the special case of the Kessel run, or does this hold for intragalactic smuggling generally?

Interesting link and tech, thanks for sharing. Like M-E and the Pioneer anomaly, I suspect it may end as just another facet of the Grand Unified Theory of Experimental Error, but maybe Tom and I will get to see it hump its way across a table someday.

Personally, I want a drive powered by annihilation of the lightest neutralino, partly because there's probably a lot of them, but most just because I like the idea of weak vector bosons beating up WIMPs.
speaking of the Pioneer anomaly

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4202 ... aly-solved

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Apparently Professor Yang Juan of The North Western Polytechnical University (Xi'an, China) has published on the topic now:

http://www.emdrive.com/abstracts.doc

I haven't found translated versions of the full papers yet.

EDIT: "now" is a relative term: the papers were published in 2008 and 2010. :? But noted on the EMDrive site on June 2011.
Last edited by Carl White on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Thanks for the update Carl. Please post if you do find full versions.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

(deleted)
Last edited by Tom Ligon on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

TallDave wrote:
Ivy Matt wrote:Less than twelve parsecs. :wink:
Does that only apply in the special case of the Kessel run, or does this hold for intragalactic smuggling generally?

Interesting link and tech, thanks for sharing. Like M-E and the Pioneer anomaly, I suspect it may end as just another facet of the Grand Unified Theory of Experimental Error, but maybe Tom and I will get to see it hump its way across a table someday.

Personally, I want a drive powered by annihilation of the lightest neutralino, partly because there's probably a lot of them, but most just because I like the idea of weak vector bosons beating up WIMPs.
TallDave, I postulated a neutralino-fueled Bussard Ramjet in a story a couple of years back in Analog called "Payback." I had just seen a blip on a paper dealing with detecting dark matter by measuring its annihilation energy. I have no idea how you would scoop it up, but if you could there should be way more of it than hydrogen, and potentially several orders of magnitude more energy yield.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:Thanks for the update Carl. Please post if you do find full versions.
Here is a link to the chineese version:
http://www.yhxb.org.cn/Upload/PaperUpLo ... 2dce81.pdf

It looks to me more or less just a replication of Shawyer math model, reaching the same conclusions as him.
Unfortunately my Chinese is actually limited to 10 words, so I could be dead wrong.

There is also a picture and the mobile phone of the guy who wrote the paper.
I will ring his mobile tomorrow. If he didn't change the number and he can speak some decent english I might even have an interesting chat :)

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Giorgio wrote:There is also a picture and the mobile phone of the guy who wrote the paper.
I will ring his mobile tomorrow. If he didn't change the number and he can speak some decent english I might even have an interesting chat :)
PLA will be listening. Use code phrases such as "the recipe", "microwave oven power" and "cook time".

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

DeltaV wrote:
Giorgio wrote:There is also a picture and the mobile phone of the guy who wrote the paper.
PLA will be listening. Use code phrases such as "the recipe", "microwave oven power" and "cook time".
Unfortunately, "The number you have dialed is not in service".

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Giorgio wrote:
DeltaV wrote:
Unfortunately, "The number you have dialed is not in service".
ah, chinese phone numbers are hinky.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

A translation of the latter paper has surfaced, along with some test data:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@es ... 67942.html

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

If this works its will be good for pull dangerous asteroids from earth and pull treasures asteroids to earth.
But I still not understand how this coincide with Newton's 3d law.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It violates conservation,. That's why the Brits stopped backing it and let the Chinese have it--for a distraction. I should note though, that it ought to produce thrust according to Sonny White's QVF model, which is why he and Paul March built one.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis