R. Nebel at 53rd APS Plasma Physics meeting

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

rcain -- The website is just something that was thrown together when there was no funding. I'm surprised they updated it at all. I wouldn't try to infer anything from it other than the observation EMC2 doesn't care much about the donation website at the moment.

What will be interesting is what happens if/when the WB-8/8.1 contract ends. We could see

1) Another intermediate-sized machine
2) A return to smaller machines
3) A full-scale reactor attempt
4) Nothing (Polywell work no longer funded by ONR)

1 and esp. 2 are somewhat disappointing, 3 is obviously what we've been hoping for.

4 is an interesting situation because we may not know whether this means they found some fatal flaw in the WB-8 testing or whether funding was just not available for WB-100 and they felt smaller machines were no longer useful -- and there may be disagreement on that point even among those involved in the decision. If EMC2 still believes Polywell is viable in this scenario, they will presumably attempt to find private funding, and we may get to learn more about the WB-8 results.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

rcain wrote:
ladajo wrote:
rcain wrote:the lack of any activity in or around EMC2 ...not even a general hum or whirring from within... makes me more pessimistic as to a fruitful outcome for Polywell in general at the moment.

if things were looking rosy, things would be going on.
Like, you drove by and saw dust gathering on the door knobs?
yep. pretty much. (well, the www at any rate).

you know any different?
Recent IMINT shows parking space activity:

rcain

Post by rcain »

good work DeltaV. glad to see you haven't lost your touch with the ole satellite repositioning.

now...

i want all electronic traffic in and out of Salt Lake surveyled - LulzSec - get on it!
i want cell phones, tapped and tracked! - who is that guy at the Mirror Group - Jane Maxwell is it - she can go through the trash while she's at it.
(Discreet) Delhi Detective agency - we need you to stake out EMC2 offices - anything or anyone who comes in or out of the building ...
nothing gets out except via 'Anonymous'... thats pretty critical ...
we can pin the job on Julian Assange again. Be rude not to. Mossad can pick up the plausible deniablity rap - everyone will be expecting that - the press will love it.
we got 24 hours, gentlemen ... or the DA busts my arse!

@TallDave - being patient will get you nowhere slowly; at least this way we get to try jail food.

rcain

Post by rcain »

TallDave wrote:rcain -- The website is just something that was thrown together when there was no funding. I'm surprised they updated it at all. I wouldn't try to infer anything from it other than the observation EMC2 doesn't care much about the donation website at the moment....
... you mean, its always been a bit of a disgrace ... people been bitching about it for ages. least they could do for themselves - look smart, current.

TallDave wrote:...
What will be interesting is what happens if/when the WB-8/8.1 contract ends. We could see

1) Another intermediate-sized machine
2) A return to smaller machines
3) A full-scale reactor attempt
4) Nothing (Polywell work no longer funded by ONR)

1 and esp. 2 are somewhat disappointing, 3 is obviously what we've been hoping for.

4 is an interesting situation because we may not know whether this means they found some fatal flaw in the WB-8 testing or whether funding was just not available for WB-100 and they felt smaller machines were no longer useful -- and there may be disagreement on that point even among those involved in the decision. If EMC2 still believes Polywell is viable in this scenario, they will presumably attempt to find private funding, and we may get to learn more about the WB-8 results.
now who with a right head on, is going to put private money, where the Navy just pulled the plug? not going to happen.

it's bigger, or bust. (...or Famulus)

rcain

Post by rcain »

... from a 'realist' perspective:

i think Doc Parks is a pretty darn impressive guy - wide and deep experience. he will come to his own balanced view as to whether he can pull this off, in one last round of funding.

The Navy will have their 'assessment criteria' (and 'whatever' budget, though as JC has pointed out, they are not short of a few rounds of practice amo they wouldn't miss.)

at that point, its all up to how good a case Doc Parks can make, and how well he can fight his corner/how far the corner deserves to be fought.

Of course he's fronting up EMC2 as well now. (Job number 2). (Who is looking after the stock?)

His best negotiating position, is if the Navy 'suspect' he may have a good chance with a private investor, hence trump up the ante themselves, save risking giving away all their best work too soon and missing their chance.
Which might come into play resolving any marginal position. (viz: the last contract being 'post-Google-talk')

perversely, having the Navy sit on it for another year or more, without further news, does not feel like its in my interests at the present time. I'd rather have the bad news now, if there is any. And if i'ts good news, I'd like to see an orderly queue of eager investors, banging up their stock price. visiting their web site at least.
Last edited by rcain on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

rcain

Post by rcain »

ps. i think there's another option - one of the other departments - Energy, Environment? - picks up the major of the tab for the next phase, opens it up for joint-public-private, who duly are enticed in to invest. (the Navy branches out a new project, properly under wraps).

everyone wins.

don't you just love optimism. what is to be manifest is simply visualised. (apart from the Higgs ... obviously...)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Agaion you have it backward. The www site activity only happens when they have nothing better to do! No actionon the EMC2FDC mean lots of action in their lab. JMHO.

GWW57

Post by GWW57 »

In:
http://www.polywellnuclearfusion.com/Po ... ywell.html

The next review panel meeting is said to be imminent:
If all goes as planned, a review panel meeting in Sept or October of 2011, will likely give the go-ahead for p-B11 testing.
Is it the case that there are now sufficient delays in the EMC2 Polywell program that this review will not occur for some months?
Or are ECM2 currently very busy preparing to present their results within a few weeks?

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

The only sure indicator is a pizza delivery truck.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

GWW57 wrote:In:
http://www.polywellnuclearfusion.com/Po ... ywell.html

The next review panel meeting is said to be imminent:
If all goes as planned, a review panel meeting in Sept or October of 2011, will likely give the go-ahead for p-B11 testing.
Is it the case that there are now sufficient delays in the EMC2 Polywell program that this review will not occur for some months?
Or are ECM2 currently very busy preparing to present their results within a few weeks?
That looks like an enthusiast's blog.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I wonder how he got that out of Alan Boyle's last interview? So it would seem. Given that they seem to be behind schedule a bit, I would think they would not be ready for a review panel until closer to the end of the year.

As I understand he pops up around here sometimes and is a retired high school physics teacher. In short, yes, an enthusiast.

rcain

Post by rcain »

KitemanSA wrote:Agaion you have it backward. The www site activity only happens when they have nothing better to do! No actionon the EMC2FDC mean lots of action in their lab. JMHO.
they should do both.

Eric Lerner manages it. With a fraction of the budget.

they are not allowed to, is the point, i think. even so.

as mvanwink5 says - watch for the Pizza vans.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

DeltaV wrote:
rcain wrote:
ladajo wrote: Like, you drove by and saw dust gathering on the door knobs?
yep. pretty much. (well, the www at any rate).

you know any different?
Recent IMINT shows parking space activity:
Anyone know which is Ste. 4?
Are you sure?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

rcain wrote: they should do both.
Ought to ain't is.
rcain wrote:Eric Lerner manages it. With a fraction of the budget.
The site is his bread and butter, not the Navy.
rcain wrote:they are not allowed to, is the point, i think. even so.
If this were charades, I'd be touching my nose. :)

rcain

Post by rcain »

KitemanSA wrote:
rcain wrote: they should do both.
Ought to ain't is.
i should have added IMHO. to avoid any confusion amongst pedants.
KitemanSA wrote:
rcain wrote:Eric Lerner manages it. With a fraction of the budget.
The site is his bread and butter, not the Navy.
and what about 'life after the Navy'? what then? are they in any way prepared for civi-street? with a successful polywell under their belt? would Nebel have made the move he made, if that were the case?
KitemanSA wrote:
rcain wrote:they are not allowed to, is the point, i think. even so.
If this were charades, I'd be touching my nose. :)
even so. assuming EMC2 DO eventually want to extract some real money out of this thing called Polywell, i would have thought they would be smartening up their shop front somewhat. (i'm sure it would not be interpreted as a 'material disclosure', in any case, just expressing a general 'market optimism' for fusion ;) ).