Electron Power Systems

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Electron Power Systems

Post by MSimon »

I was sent this link by e-mail. I think we have discussed it before (it has been a while if so), in any case there are new folks who may not have seen the discussion.

http://www.electronpowersystems.com/

EPS has discovered a plasma toroid that remains stable without magnetic confinement, by using background gas pressure for confinement instead. These plasma toroids are observed to remain stable for thousands of times longer than classical plasma toroids, which opens the way for new clean energy applications.

In the 1970's, Dr. Wells at the U of Miami collided two plasma toroids to produce low-level fusion energy in the TRISOPS system. The amount of energy produced was limited by the short duration time of the plasma toroids used, as well as their low density and their low level of energy. The new EPS stable plasma toroids will overcome each of these limitations, and will potentially produce practical fusion with no magnetic containment required, thus producing a microfusion reactor. Our challenge is to adapt the new stable plasma toroid to the TRISOPS method.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Wittgenstein

Electron Power Systems

Post by Wittgenstein »

Simon,

I wasn't around whenever the previous discussion took place. Can you provide a link to the threads? And/or: What is your assessment of this company?

On the face of it, it appears to be just another too-good-to-be-true claim, looking for money based on theory but not yet able to provide an actual product. Is there more to it?

Thanks.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I think it has the problem of all thermal systems. Losses due to energy distribution of the particles.

Of course if they an crate some kind of mono energetic system they might be able to tune it for net energy.

==

viewtopic.php?p=4184#4184

There may be other s
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rcain

Post by rcain »

looks to me like nothing has happened to this for a while.

one of the latest entries on their site::
EPS is seeking $2 million as a first round of investment to complete the development of a demonstration unit in eighteen months. A second investment of $8 million will be needed to complete a prototype unit in eighteen months after the demonstration unit.
love the approach though, and the maths looks pretty fun here http://www.electronpowersystems.com/Ima ... 20Chen.pdf - a 'cold fluid equilibrium theory'

i cant retrieve the NASA report which criticizes the work, which is a shame.

cant see any serious discussion about the nuclear or engineering aspects either. however, the suggestion of a 6kW portable pB generator sounds awesome - if they could but achieve it.

worth keeping a weather eye.

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

Crap. How aout we go back to discussing the speculative-to-the-point-of-fantasy-but-at-least-based-remotely-on-physics concept of the polywell?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Art Carlson wrote:Crap. How aout we go back to discussing the speculative-to-the-point-of-fantasy-but-at-least-based-remotely-on-physics concept of the polywell?
Art,

It was put up more as a scam alert than anything else.

rcain

Post by rcain »

Art Carlson wrote:Crap. How aout we go back to discussing the speculative-to-the-point-of-fantasy-but-at-least-based-remotely-on-physics concept of the polywell?
lol :)

I take it you dont think much of the idea then Art - is it the spiral toroid stability conditions, or the total lack of fusion, or just you dont like the authors?