SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

Re: SpaceX News

Postby hanelyp » Fri May 11, 2018 5:19 pm

If a second stage is recoverable, return to launch site about a day after liftoff isn't difficult. Just wait in orbit until the launch site again approaches the orbital ground-path. Return to launch site after a single orbit is harder, especially from high inclination orbits. Recovering a second stage in good shape so it doesn't need lots of time and expense to reuse, without a heavy heat shield eating most of the payload, that's (edit) not so easy.

(somehow my keyboard doesn't always do what I type)
Last edited by hanelyp on Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Maui

Re: SpaceX News

Postby Maui » Fri May 11, 2018 5:34 pm

TDPerk wrote:Less ground crew and far less expensive fuel. Also, 100 minimum launches before refitting means the not10x R&D cost is spread over far more flights.

Fuel cost is only a little higher for far more capacity.
Ground crew cost is far lower.
R&D $$$ to be amortized per flight is far lower.

Total cost to fly is lower.

Why less ground crew? I would think it would be easier to get an F9 block 6 to 100x than BFR if that was your main goal. As it stands, they probably have to learn a lot of lessons with BFR first that they've already learned with F9. And I would think scale only makes that more difficult.

It only makes sense to start flying BFR a ton once it costs less than F9. But will that happen if they are not flying BFR a ton?

Return to “News”