Talk-Polywell.org

a discussion forum for Polywell fusion
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: ICC 2011
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:12 pm
Posts: 242
Location: Wisconsin
Hi all,

The Innovative Confinement Concepts workshop was this past week, you can view the abstracts now, & maybe some presentations.

Of special interest, perhaps, is the General Fusion overview. Note the funding information at the end of the abstract.

TriAlpha also presented an overview of recent results - sounds quite encouraging.

The conference was smaller than previous years, in part due to the 20-30% cut that the DOE handed to the ICC programs (LDX, MCX, and TCSU got defunded.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:29 pm
Posts: 4820
Wow, some info from Tri Alpha for a change and good one too!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 2253
Location: Italy
I like the part of the instability control with the applied quadrupole fields.
This is something that is interesting also for the Polywell concept.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 2253
Location: Italy
Did anyone notice also the report from General fusion?
Quote:
In the next year, we are planning to collapse liquid metal cavity with 14 pistons to check the symmetry achieved. We also plan to compress in 100 us with high explosive the spheromak plasma from our generator from an initial 40 cm, 1E17 cm-3, 100 eV, 100 us life to a final 4 cm, 1E20 cm-3, 10 keV, 10 us life and therefore demonstrate break-even conditions. We presently have 24 M$ in the bank and 47 employees (and still hiring) to achieve these goals.


I say that this is a pretty bold development plan!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 2039
Giorgio wrote:
I like the part of the instability control with the applied quadrupole fields.
This is something that is interesting also for the Polywell concept.

Please teach the practical way how to use quadrupole magnets in spherical device.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:29 pm
Posts: 4820
Yeah, good news all around. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 2253
Location: Italy
Joseph Chikva wrote:
Please teach the practical way how to use quadrupole magnets in spherical device.


To understand the logical reasoning that took me to say that this could be interesting for the Polywell you should need before to understand how the polywell is supposed to work. Unfortunately you already stated that you are not interested in reading nor in understanding the basics of the Polywell, so, why should I waste my time replying to your questions?
If you need something to fulfill your ego take a mirror and talk to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 2039
Giorgio wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
Please teach the practical way how to use quadrupole magnets in spherical device.


To understand the logical reasoning that took me to say that this could be interesting for the Polywell you should need before to understand how the polywell is supposed to work. Unfortunately you already stated that you are not interested in reading nor in understanding the basics of the Polywell, so, why should I waste my time replying to your questions?
If you need something to fulfill your ego take a mirror and talk to it.

I have put you the logic question regardless to my ego. Because it is impossible to use axially symmetric magnet in spherical device. Simply device will not be spherical after that.
Also it is not too pleasant to my ego to learn that I know how Polywell should work better than you. Because that is not difficult at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 2253
Location: Italy
Joseph Chikva wrote:
I have put you the logic question regardless to my ego. Because it is impossible to use axially symmetric magnet in spherical device. Simply device will not be spherical after that.

If that's all what you can see in that part of the presentation that's your limitation, not my problem.


Joseph Chikva wrote:
Also it is not too pleasant to my ego to learn that I know how Polywell should work better than you. Because that is not difficult at all.

Yeah, sure. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 2039
Giorgio wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
I have put you the logic question regardless to my ego. Because it is impossible to use axially symmetric magnet in spherical device. Simply device will not be spherical after that.

If that's all what you can see in that part of the presentation that's your limitation, not my problem.

That's not only my limitation.
But limitation by logic, symmetry, nature's laws.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 2253
Location: Italy
Joseph Chikva wrote:
That's not only my limitation.
But limitation by logic, symmetry, nature's laws.

I see. Thank you for your point of view.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 2039
Giorgio wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
That's not only my limitation.
But limitation by logic, symmetry, nature's laws.

I see. Thank you for your point of view.

Thank you too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:52 am
Posts: 2237
Joseph Chikva wrote:
Giorgio wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
Please teach the practical way how to use quadrupole magnets in spherical device.


To understand the logical reasoning that took me to say that this could be interesting for the Polywell you should need before to understand how the polywell is supposed to work. Unfortunately you already stated that you are not interested in reading nor in understanding the basics of the Polywell, so, why should I waste my time replying to your questions?
If you need something to fulfill your ego take a mirror and talk to it.

I have put you the logic question regardless to my ego. Because it is impossible to use axially symmetric magnet in spherical device. Simply device will not be spherical after that.
Also it is not too pleasant to my ego to learn that I know how Polywell should work better than you. Because that is not difficult at all.



A quadrapole is fundamental to the polywell. though I believe that this is actually a 2 dimensional concept. A three dimensional arrangemet would be called a _____ pole ?
Opposing symetrical magnets is a key part of the Polywell. Wheather these magnets need to be exactly symetrical in geometry has been argued here. I'm uncertain. some of EMC's designs seem to suggest that this may not be absolute. An example would be having a magnet coil that is triangular in shape. On one side it is aranged as pyrimid with a brod base on the bottom, on the opposite the triangular magnet may be inverted so that an apex points down.

In any case, none of this will create a spherical or even a 2D circular magnetic field between magnets. That would only be possible with a monopole. This is why terms like quasi spherical, near spherical, sphere with spikes, etc are used.

Dan Tibbets

_________________
To error is human... and I'm very human.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 2039
D Tibbets wrote:
A quadrapole is fundamental to the polywell. though I believe that this is actually a 2 dimensional concept. A three dimensional arrangemet would be called a _____ pole ?
Polywell with polypole?
D Tibbets wrote:
Opposing symmetrical magnets is a key part of the Polywell.?
Yes, but when we talk about quadrupole, 6-pole or octopole magnets usually we mean strong focusing magnets for currents. In heavy ions fusion experiments for controlling of non-neutral beam position also is proposed the electrostatic quadrapoles. So, in conventional understanding Polywell's magnet system (set of opposing magnets) is not x-pole. There is magnet mirrors. But this is only terminology issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 pm
Posts: 570
Location: Austin, TX, NorAm, Sol III
Joseph Chikva wrote:
D Tibbets wrote:
A quadrapole is fundamental to the polywell. though I believe that this is actually a 2 dimensional concept. A three dimensional arrangemet would be called a _____ pole ?
Polywell with polypole?
D Tibbets wrote:
Opposing symmetrical magnets is a key part of the Polywell.?
Yes, but when we talk about quadrupole, 6-pole or octopole magnets usually we mean strong focusing magnets for currents. In heavy ions fusion experiments for controlling of non-neutral beam position also is proposed the electrostatic quadrapoles. So, in conventional understanding Polywell's magnet system (set of opposing magnets) is not x-pole. There is magnet mirrors. But this is only terminology issue.

A polywell could be made quadrapole by having only four magnet coils ... in a tetrahedron (the minimum number of "sides" for a working polywell).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group