Science and Technology Blogs

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Science and Technology Blogs

Post by GIThruster »

We all post stuff we find on other blogs. How about a list of the best? What web sites do you routinely visit in hopes of finding that latest thing?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

djolds1

Re: Science and Technology Blogs

Post by djolds1 »

GIThruster wrote:We all post stuff we find on other blogs. How about a list of the best? What web sites do you routinely visit in hopes of finding that latest thing?
Brian Wang is an excellent aggregator of things taken from here and elsewhere.

I routinely check Brian Wang's 'Next Big Future,' and the Twitter feed at Atomic Rockets.
Vae Victis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yes, NextBigFuture is great. I also read NewSpacewatch.com where Clark Lindsey of Hobby Space fame is now managing editor.
Other interesting blogs are gizmag.com and popular mechanics, popsci, sciencedaily.
For SpaceX news I read the tweets by SpaceX and Musk. I also visit the nasaspaceflight forums and talk polywell which usually have posts on interesting developments pretty early. For news on LPPX I also ready their tweets and their updates.
Other than that, I find myself more and more going directly to the source of the actual information lately. E.g. I know many of the players in the fields of science that interest me and I google for new papers or other info with their names in it frequently.
I have to admit though that the quality of the news sources has been severely lacking these days. Nowadays we seem to have quantity of information, but the quality is is often disappointing. A recent example was the total lack of a follow up with Lockheed on their fusion reactor announcement. Every single news source said essentially the same thing (transcribed from the video). Nowadays press releases are uncritically published as news.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

One of the blogs I have been a busy consumer of on and off for years is The Register. It's all written tongue in cheek but well worth at least an occasional visit.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Aside from the ones you listed, I also skim the reddit science sub for some occassional gems. http://www.reddit.com/r/science/

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

http://www.nih.gov/

Good for all kinds of medical research. I like "anandamide". A search on that is very interesting.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

CherryPick

Post by CherryPick »

You should not forget the best of science blogs: WUWT http://wattsupwiththat.com/
It has won the award many times and for a reason.

WUWT has a lively discussion and it allows you to disagree. Scientific method is appreciated and facts, links and measurements are required. WUWT is particularly good at reviewing scientific papers. Authority means nothing if the paper is not OK.
--------------------------------------------------------
CherryPick
Ph.D.
Computer Science, Physics, Applied Mathematics