EMC2 lends plasma source to nat'l lab

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Solo

EMC2 lends plasma source to nat'l lab

Post by Solo »

http://www.iccworkshops.org/epr2013/upl ... en_1-1.pdf
check out the 2nd to last slide or so.

Skipjack

Re: EMC2 lends plasma source to nat'l lab

Post by Skipjack »

They should get Slough on board. Other than the people at Tri Alpha (who he was also consulting at at some point), he is probably the best person to work on FRCs.
Not sure what to think about EMC2 selling off or giving away equipment.

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

page 32 of 43
not quite second to last or so
A Russian Plasma Gun for FRCHX

We have recently obtained a plasma
gun, complete with power supplies,
from EMC2 in San Diego.

Arc current up to 800 amps, 100 v

Magnetization coil (25 amps)

Ignition spark (6kV, 200 usec)

Anode and Cathode gas puff valves

plasma flow 10-20 equivalent amps

ion temperature 2-4 eV, pulse du
ration up to 5 ms, typical gas
efficiency 50-90%
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

choff

Post by choff »

Complete with power supplies, and we know from before last year EMC2 had room to expand it's power source. It would imply they've wrapped up experiments in the San Diego lab on WB8 and moved to another machine or they found an insurmountable problem and cancelled.
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

choff wrote:Complete with power supplies, and we know from before last year EMC2 had room to expand it's power source. It would imply they've wrapped up experiments in the San Diego lab on WB8 and moved to another machine or they found an insurmountable problem and cancelled.
Aren't we due another report in the 2013 Spring time frame?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

choff wrote:Complete with power supplies, and we know from before last year EMC2 had room to expand it's power source. It would imply they've wrapped up experiments in the San Diego lab on WB8 and moved to another machine or they found an insurmountable problem and cancelled.
A or B Its not uncommon to DRMO old equipment and still be working on a project. we just sent a bunch of tech across the country because we got a refresh for our system. Newer pcs and the like.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

choff

Post by choff »

I recall an article on fusion approx. one and a half years ago, it mentioned the project as Shiva Star, there was a general comment by Dr. Park. There was also a comment that he still hoped to get his machine working. What this would imply is that at least back then they were discussing the equipment transfer at a future date. Our information from the reports we get is probably way behind the curve as to what's really going on.
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

choff wrote:I recall an article on fusion approx. one and a half years ago, it mentioned the project as Shiva Star, there was a general comment by Dr. Park. There was also a comment that he still hoped to get his machine working. What this would imply is that at least back then they were discussing the equipment transfer at a future date. Our information from the reports we get is probably way behind the curve as to what's really going on.
A also remember reading somewhere Sandia National Laboratories sent some high speed cameras out to them to help with a arcing issue and plasma photography . this was in the WB-6 time frame if I remember correctly.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

paperburn1 wrote:
choff wrote:I recall an article on fusion approx. one and a half years ago, it mentioned the project as Shiva Star, there was a general comment by Dr. Park. There was also a comment that he still hoped to get his machine working. What this would imply is that at least back then they were discussing the equipment transfer at a future date. Our information from the reports we get is probably way behind the curve as to what's really going on.
A also remember reading somewhere Sandia National Laboratories sent some high speed cameras out to them to help with a arcing issue and plasma photography . this was in the WB-6 time frame if I remember correctly.
It was a year or two into the WB7 regime and was featured on a State Of New Mexico site. It is in the archives.

This may be it: viewtopic.php?p=19450#p19450

May 2009
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

We're using government issue lawn chairs to observe EMC2 progress, as usual. Need beer.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

"Russian Plasma Gun" = "electron bazooka"?

Wiffleball electron containment is far better than expected and injecting more electrons requires heavier artillery to overcome repulsion.

Hypothetical plasma physics scenario. Author is not a degreed plasma physicist. No actual simulations were used in the creation of this hypothesis. Closed thread. Do not attempt.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Apparently EMC2 had a Russian plasma gun lying around. I wonder how old it is.

Hard to read anything into this. It doesn't sound like something they were using in WB-8.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

choff

Post by choff »

It isn't just a case of trying to read the tea leaves, it's a case of you don't know how old the tea leaves are. It could be they loaned the ion guns and power supplies before they needed them, or after they used them. If they loaned them out after, then they're probably in the report writing phase, but it's all wild speculation.
CHoff

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

DeltaV wrote:"Russian Plasma Gun" = "electron bazooka"?

Wiffleball electron containment is far better than expected and injecting more electrons requires heavier artillery to overcome repulsion.

Hypothetical plasma physics scenario. Author is not a degreed plasma physicist. No actual simulations were used in the creation of this hypothesis. Closed thread. Do not attempt.
It's a neutral beam injector. I guess since the news is out, I dont have to keep quiet. A while ago, they were messing around with neutral beam injection to I suppose get the core to high beta, there was the problem with electron beams not getting into the machine. WB effects need lots of charged particles, I think you can only see the diamagnetic effect of electrons, because the ions wont be on field, so they're trying to get a bunch of electrons in there, the ions dont matter, but just a bunch of electrons in there.

I'm told by birds not to worry, it's still looking good.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Robthebob wrote:
DeltaV wrote:"Russian Plasma Gun" = "electron bazooka"?

It's a neutral beam injector. I guess since the news is out, I dont have to keep quiet. A while ago, they were messing around with neutral beam injection to I suppose get the core to high beta, there was the problem with electron beams not getting into the machine. WB effects need lots of charged particles, I think you can only see the diamagnetic effect of electrons, because the ions wont be on field, so they're trying to get a bunch of electrons in there, the ions dont matter, but just a bunch of electrons in there.

I'm told by birds not to worry, it's still looking good.
That is great news, Rob!
Thanks!