Is There A Party For Golwater Republicans?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Is There A Party For Golwater Republicans?

Post by MSimon »

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/11/02 ... servative/

“Everyone knows that gays have served honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar.” ~Barry Goldwater

Reagan may have gotten his original ideas about abortion here:

“Today’s so-called ‘conservatives’ don’t even know what the word means. They think I’ve turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That’s a decision that’s up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It’s not a conservative issue at all.” ~Barry Goldwater
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

Yes I think so.
Carter

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Sure. It's called the "Democrat" party.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Diogenes wrote:Sure. It's called the "Democrat" party.
MSimon, feel free to join the left. It has moved right in the last few decades and by all statistics, Obama would've been considered a moderate Republican in the 80s. I also hear the Dems are pushing for a legalization vote any day now....

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ScottL wrote:
MSimon, feel free to join the left. It has moved right in the last few decades and by all statistics, Obama would've been considered a moderate Republican in the 80s. I also hear the Dems are pushing for a legalization vote any day now....

Where do you come up with this dreck? Obama would NEVER have been considered a "Moderate Republican" in any age. You either don't know nearly enough about him, or you don't know nearly enough about the "moderate" Republicans. (They are Basically surrender monkeys.)
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Diogenes wrote:
ScottL wrote:

Where do you come up with this dreck? Obama would NEVER have been considered a "Moderate Republican" in any age. You either don't know nearly enough about him, or you don't know nearly enough about the "moderate" Republicans. (They are Basically surrender monkeys.)
Oh this is gonna be fun.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism ... Republican

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/0 ... 99622.html

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2011 ... -and-trade

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... e_gop.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... epublican/

but...I understand your view.... Hell I'm sure Hagel was NEVER a Republican now that he's an Obama nominee.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ScottL wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
ScottL wrote: MSimon, feel free to join the left. It has moved right in the last few decades and by all statistics, Obama would've been considered a moderate Republican in the 80s. I also hear the Dems are pushing for a legalization vote any day now....

Oh this is gonna be fun.

You must be a masochist. For most people a drubbing is not "fun."

Your first link Quotes Noam Chomsky. A Virulent Anti-American Communist College Professor talking to the "young Turks" who are themselves a collection of Democrat Loon activists.

How is this helping your argument? Two utterly left wing kooks calling Obama a "moderate" Republican? Seriously? They consider anyone not left of Joseph Stalin a "right wing extremist."

And again with the Noam Chomsky? Do you even bother to read what you link to? Two references to the same Kook prove what? Don't they teach you better than this in the Education establishment?

And now you quote Liberal twat Ezra Klein who advises Democrat chiefs of staff and writes for Liberal mouthpiece "the Washington Post. " You really are bad at this. It's like printing what MSimon says about people involved in drug interdiction.

Here is a link to catch you up on the sort of person whom you are citing as proof.

Crap, published on a Liberal website by a Liberal nut.

And if you had bothered to READ this one. (From a semi-Conservative/Libertarian Website) you would realize that it does not support the contention that Barack Obama is a "moderate republican." It does in fact, claim the opposite. The only reason the term comes up is because the article refers to that stupid Ezra Klein piece which makes such a claim.

You have simply (and lazily) googled some sort of search with "Obama Moderate Republican" and lazily posted a few links without bothering to read or understand them.

I am using the term "lazy" because the alternative is "dishonestly." (I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

ScottL wrote:
but...I understand your view.... Hell I'm sure Hagel was NEVER a Republican now that he's an Obama nominee.

That would be a safe bet in my estimation. No one who believes in Republican Principles (the Dominant conservative ones) would ever work for Barack Obama. You can get the squishes and the Rinos, but that's about it.

Now to show you how it's done, here are a few Liberal Sources proclaiming that Obama is a "liberal."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/o ... 86526.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/22/us/po ... d=all&_r=0

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/21 ... a-20130122

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/j ... obama.html
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

One can not be drubbed or repeatedly so for that matter, if one does not feel a drubbing occured. My links were both for and against my position, to show that I read both sides, unlike you who only ever reads one side. The only part you got right was about the "fun" as I've just now found it isn't fun to pick on an old (relative to myself) man who has likely lost touch with parts of reality. Furthermore, you've reinforced my complete lack of empathy for your party when you confirmed my last comment about Hagel. Your position is laughable at best and insane at worst.

Edit: Had a thought after posting, but the right should change its slogan to:

If it's right, it isn't right enough.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ScottL wrote:One can not be drubbed or repeatedly so for that matter, if one does not feel a drubbing occured.

You are suffering from the "Black Knight syndrome."

"Tis but a scratch."

ScottL wrote: My links were both for and against my position, to show that I read both sides, unlike you who only ever reads one side.

If that were true, why did you have a four to one ratio of Liberal to Libertarian? (not even a conservative opinion in the lot.) Methinks you attempt post hoc rationalization.

ScottL wrote: The only part you got right was about the "fun" as I've just now found it isn't fun to pick on an old (relative to myself) man who has likely lost touch with parts of reality.

Leave MSimon out of this. He can't help it.

ScottL wrote: Furthermore, you've reinforced my complete lack of empathy for your party when you confirmed my last comment about Hagel. Your position is laughable at best and insane at worst.

Here you are, likely knowing far less about Hagel (and his disastrous confirmation appearance) than do I, and then lecturing me about what YOU don't know. Even his supporters said his hearing performance was bizarre.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... hagel.html

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/01/31/h ... epartment/

ScottL wrote:

Edit: Had a thought after posting, but the right should change its slogan to:

If it's right, it isn't right enough.

Actually, I rather like the Barry Goldwater quote.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

While I can appreciate the MP reference, I disagree with you whole-heartedly. Extremism in all forms leads to authoritarian positions and liberties are thus inevitably relenquished. This was my position, is my position, and will be my position. I'm sure you'll have a witty retort, perhaps even with a pic or two to add to the humor, but I see nothing to gain in watching a wild-eyed old man grasp at straws.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ScottL wrote:
Well I have. And they are beating the Republicans on the National level and in some states that used to be fairly reliably Republican - Colorado for one.

In fact I'm working hard to 1932 the Republican Party.

And having the time of my life doing it.

If there is no room in the Republican Party for Goldwater Republicans I'm taking every one of them I can find with me. You don't want us? I will see to the best of my ability that your wish is granted.

I hope you enjoy my victories as much as I do.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Here is what Republicans used to be like.

http://classicalvalues.com/2013/02/an-o ... an-speaks/

The essence of her points:

1. Limited Government
2. Fiscal Responsibility
3. Less Intrusion in your Private Life

And just to cap it off - the woman is an anti-Prohibitionist speaking at an anti-Prohibition venue.

If you favor #1 & #3 there is no place in the Republican Party for you.

And if you favor #1 & #2 the Democrats are not interested. Funny enough even if you favor#1 & #2 the Democrats will not go around saying they don't want your vote. It is possible they like winning elections.

But I got the message. Republicans don't want my vote. They will no longer get it. And I will be taking as many as I can with me.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ScottL wrote:While I can appreciate the MP reference, I disagree with you whole-heartedly. Extremism in all forms leads to authoritarian positions and liberties are thus inevitably relenquished. This was my position, is my position, and will be my position. I'm sure you'll have a witty retort, perhaps even with a pic or two to add to the humor, but I see nothing to gain in watching a wild-eyed old man grasp at straws.

I don't either, but fortunately Barry Goldwater is dead, and no longer grasping at straws.

Here he is in better times.

:)
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"
So does that include abortion?

“Today’s so-called ‘conservatives’ don’t even know what the word means. They think I’ve turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That’s a decision that’s up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It’s not a conservative issue at all.”

And med-pot?
In 1996, Goldwater told Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole, whose own positions lacked real support from conservatives: "We're the new liberals of the Republican party. Can you imagine that?" In that same year, with Senator Dennis DeConcini, Goldwater endorsed an Arizona initiative to legalize medical marijuana.[9]

<and>

When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Barry_Goldwater
Well the Republican Party is now a religious organization. No room for Goldwater Republicans. Fine by me. The owners of the Party can keep it.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
ScottL wrote:
Well I have. And they are beating the Republicans on the National level and in some states that used to be fairly reliably Republican - Colorado for one.

Absolutely correct. And all you have to do to repeat that accomplishment is get a bunch of well to do Left Wing Kooks who are fleeing the mess they created in California to come live in another state. Oregon has the same problem. It's like a disease really.

MSimon wrote:

In fact I'm working hard to 1932 the Republican Party.

And having the time of my life doing it.

If there is no room in the Republican Party for Goldwater Republicans I'm taking every one of them I can find with me. You don't want us? I will see to the best of my ability that your wish is granted.

Well thanks! I regard your efforts as being much like the Great Dust Bowl period in Oklahoma History. There was a mass migration of Okies to California. The good thing about it was it raised the IQ level of both states!

MSimon wrote:
I hope you enjoy my victories as much as I do.

Absolutely! It's funny as h*ll watching a dog run after a car, and then come back acting like he's chased it away!
— Lord Melbourne —