Which party will support this effort?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Robthebob

Which party will support this effort?

Post by Robthebob »

The democrats or the republicans? with the race well underway, which one of them will support IEC?

There's a decent chance we might be able to see results within 4 years, if we see results within 4 years, would the party in control claim the achievement as their own?

That would suck.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Roger

Post by Roger »

Wright Brothers, the Bomb that ended WW2, landing on the moon???
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

The real support was getting it from suspiciously flawed theoreticaly, to ugly duckling, to underdog, to paradigm shifting.. EMC2 did (or will have done) that, not any party.

Roger

Post by Roger »

Betruger wrote: EMC2 did (or will have done) that, not any party.
Exactly, game over.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... ident.html

It links back to a thread here. However all the details are there.

Simon
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

well, John mccain has indeed said in the past that he's interested in nuclear energy, but there's so many versions of it, is he talking about traditional plasma fusion? laser? fission?

I'm pretty sure even if John Mccain had heard about polywell, he probably wouldnt put too much money in it unless there was very good results.

If there's good results, most likely anyone, Obama or Mccain will support it if they're president.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Robthebob wrote:well, John mccain has indeed said in the past that he's interested in nuclear energy, but there's so many versions of it, is he talking about traditional plasma fusion? laser? fission?

I'm pretty sure even if John Mccain had heard about polywell, he probably wouldnt put too much money in it unless there was very good results.

If there's good results, most likely anyone, Obama or Mccain will support it if they're president.
Follow the links.

Pollywell.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

drmike

Post by drmike »

In his acceptance speech Obama said he'd have the US free from foreign oil in 10 years. If Polywell or something like it has any chance, that would obviously be part of the solution.

McCain has said he's in favor of nukes, so Polywell or fusion in general would be supported.

At this point energy is too big an issue. Fusion will get great support over the next few years, but if no progress is made, fission plants will get built for sure. It's not a matter of party any more. It's getting to be a matter of survival.

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

drmike wrote:In his acceptance speech Obama said he'd have the US free from foreign oil in 10 years. If Polywell or something like it has any chance, that would obviously be part of the solution.
Right — and in addition, to meet that goal will require an Apollo-scale national effort. Few presidents could pull that off, but I think Obama could; he's got an ability to inspire people and build bridges across party lines that I haven't seen in any other leader in decades. And Obama doesn't make promises he does not intend to keep.

So, if he's elected, we're looking at energy research becoming a major national focus, just as space exploration was in the 60s. In that environment, I would expect Polywell programs (plural!) to be among a wide variety of well-supported research programs.

Best,
- Joe
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Ugh. Like Reagan taking credit for the end of the Soviet Union, or Gore's Information Superhighway? I don't see either candidate as being that way, but it's part of the political mind set, or even human nature. "Success has many fathers," etc, etc.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

Roger wrote:
Betruger wrote: EMC2 did (or will have done) that, not any party.
Exactly, game over.
Ding, ding. Technological revolution isn't tied to any one "party" or "political affiliation." It just ... happens. No one was running around saying "Oh we're going to drive cars now, everyone!" Society at large said "We like cars!"

Polywell is a game changer. It is irrelevant who is in power.

Well, strike that, a President who is for science in schools and not garbage psudo-science, a Party that is for eduction funding and not privitization, is probably helpful toward putting BFRs everywhere in the world.

rj40

Post by rj40 »

I have asked the same question. I think both would support it. My concern is some of the constituencies on either side. How will oil, coal, gas companies react? How will far left Green NGO’s react? What new unanticipated opposition might appear? How might they pressure congress/president? I think there would be some hold-outs in the fossil fuel industry, but in the end, there is just too much money at stake. Most will at least attempt to adapt. And they will certainly have the time, this cannot happen overnight. I think most lefty Green NGO’s will adapt as well. There will always be something bad to yell about and offer ideas for improvement. However, I still think they (NGO’s) could represent a bigger road-block to this – assuming BFRs actually work, than big corporations. If you poke around on the internet enough, you run into some very odd things wrt to these folks. The core members don’t really care about the environment; they have a larger political agenda that is not friendly to western style democracy. Bizarre stuff I didn’t expect to find. Anything seen to help that will be opposed, especially anything seen to help the US. Those folks will find problems with BFRs from day one.

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

rj40 wrote:I think most lefty Green NGO’s will adapt as well. There will always be something bad to yell about and offer ideas for improvement. However, I still think they (NGO’s) could represent a bigger road-block to this – assuming BFRs actually work, than big corporations. If you poke around on the internet enough, you run into some very odd things wrt to these folks. The core members don’t really care about the environment; they have a larger political agenda that is not friendly to western style democracy. Bizarre stuff I didn’t expect to find. Anything seen to help that will be opposed, especially anything seen to help the US. Those folks will find problems with BFRs from day one.
I've been a member of the Sierra Club for years, and I haven't seen what you're referring to. The core members, as far as I can tell, love America (and other parts of the world, too), and want to keep it intact for future generations to enjoy as much as they do.

Some of them do tend to be a bit closed-minded about fission power, and some alternatives like space solar power are seldom taken seriously. But I think they'd embrace BFRs (especially if they burn p-B11) as a great solution to one of the biggest issues we face today: how to power the world (especially the rapidly developing parts of the world) without wrecking its climate.
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

rj40

Post by rj40 »

I didn’t mention the Sierra Club. Why do you think I would include the Sierra Club? OK, what aren’t you telling us? What are you up to?

:D

Apologies, I was unclear. I said, most will adapt. I would include the Sierra Club in this except they have little to adapt to - they have a whole range of environmental issues to fight for, BFRs won’t put them out of the business. And I don’t believe their funding comes from anti-American wacko’s. OK, there are always a few in any crowd, but on the whole the Sierra Club was NOT what I was thinking about. I was thinking of folks like the Earth Liberation Front.

djolds1

Re: Which party will support this effort?

Post by djolds1 »

Robthebob wrote:The democrats or the republicans? with the race well underway, which one of them will support IEC?

There's a decent chance we might be able to see results within 4 years, if we see results within 4 years, would the party in control claim the achievement as their own?

That would suck.
Anything with the word "nuclear" is poison with the American Left. Greens have a major hold on that side of the aisle.

Duane
Vae Victis