How do the great powers react if this works?

If polywell fusion is developed, in what ways will the world change for better or worse? Discuss.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

rj40

Re: Budget Cycles, not Political Cycles...

Post by rj40 »

Mumbles wrote:Working for the Navy, in acquisition, the two ways this would play out for big money proof-of-concept, provided current reviews are favorable, are most likely:
<snip>
Be Safe
Mumbles
Mumbles, how might becoming a "Program of Record" play into this? I assume any result from this past year would have to be very good indeed. Then what?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

http://www.neworleansmagazine.com/a/new ... -4310.html

UNO Awarded $49.2 Million for Research, Technical Assistance
(August 14, 2008, New Orleans, La.) – The University of New Orleans has been awarded a $49.2 million ($49,283,693) indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract with provisions to issue fixed-price task order contracts for analytical and technical support services from undergraduate and graduate students and faculty in support of advanced research and development projects.
The Navy recognizes that to maintain essential engineering, research and development capabilities, it must establish and maintain a pool of scientists and engineers interested and capable of maintaining systems critical to the Navy and other military customers. To achieve this goal, future scientists and engineers need to receive hands-on training and exposure to research, development, training and education of interest to federal agencies.

This award recognizes the importance of scientific investigation in a rigorous, unbiased academic environment. Some of the areas of technical and analytical support include: electronic, computer engineering, mathematics, physics and statistics, computer science and information systems, mechanical engineering and fluid mechanics, geospatial characterization, data fusion, acoustical communication, industrial/organization psychology, and modeling and simulation.
Evidently $40 mil is not too hard to gather if the Navy thinks it is worth the effort.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:You are talking deterrence. Which we both agree is less than likely. I'm talking about a "more rubble less trouble" response . The Three Conjectures in action.
I apparently lost track of the thread somewhere.

To paraphrase, I though you were asking "what concrete results do the jihadis get out of attacking the US with a nuke(s)?"

Answer: there are no "concrete" results. But they'll still do it with joy. Religious fanaticism and the pure happiness of kicking an enemy in the 'nads. Assuming they still want to.

Duane
Vae Victis

Mumbles

Re: Budget Cycles, not Political Cycles...

Post by Mumbles »

rj40 wrote:Mumbles, how might becoming a "Program of Record" play into this? I assume any result from this past year would have to be very good indeed. Then what?
A Program of Record has a funding line that extends through the 6-year Fiscal Year Defense Plan (FYDP). A plus-up is usually only 1 year money, almost always intended to go to a specific company or organization, usually in a or several particular politicians' constituencies. (And they get really upset when you use the money they added to the budget, for the very reason they added it, but award the contract to a different company!)

It is the steady nature of a firm funding profile over several years that makes a program of record better to work with. Not to say plus-ups don't help in a pinch, and are good at jump-starting new efforts. But when the next year rolls around, and there is no funding line (even if it gets added again that following year), it is hard to keep a long-term project going...

Be Safe
Mumbles

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I can't give any details now but I want to note that the Senate is interested in this project and will be looking into it.

The interest at this point is informational only. No promises asked or given.

Simon
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.