Prometheus Is Overhauling His Polywell Fusion

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Prometheus Is Overhauling His Polywell Fusion

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Skytreker

Post by Skytreker »

Very interesting indeed. At last some polywell related news! Although not from the lab we all are awaiting, but anyways. I wasn't aware of Prometheus development, so thanks for the heads up too.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Famulus has been busy with his intern. Be interesting to see how fast he turns this step from ideas to live test. He has been making some good jumps of late.
I wonder how his funding is holding up. Would hate to see him hit another dry spell and go back to a real job to raise cash.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

necoras

Post by necoras »

I think it takes 2-3 weeks to get a ceramic print from Shapeways. That's why he built the makerbot for less critical components and rapid prototyping. I suspect it will be at least a month before he has another major update. Hopefully the materials upgrade will be a productive step.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

This is an encouraging step. I imagine the rigid ceramic will reduce many variables involving movement and heat. How about outgassing? The printing process will trap a lot of gas molecules, y?

I'd like to see an angel investor would infuse Prometheus with some serious funds. The Navy project seems to have morphed into an information black hole.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Thanks for sharing Msimon!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:Thanks for sharing Msimon!
As always - honored to be of service or an annoyance depending.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

JoeP wrote:This is an encouraging step. I imagine the rigid ceramic will reduce many variables involving movement and heat. How about outgassing? The printing process will trap a lot of gas molecules, y?

I'd like to see an angel investor would infuse Prometheus with some serious funds. The Navy project seems to have morphed into an information black hole.
He may run into an issue with the ceramic failing due to high intensity spot heating. Some ceramics do not do well with flash heating and mechanical stress. That said I am eager to see if this change will improve and stabilize his results.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

necoras

Post by necoras »

The printing process will trap a lot of gas molecules
It shouldn't. Air trapped in ceramics tends to shatter the piece. Granted that's air bubbles as opposed to at the molecular level. I'm more worried about the zip ties, even if they are supposed to be a higher quality. I would have gone with some sort of metal strip with a bolt/nut holding everything together. But I'm not an engineer.