Chapter 6

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

eige1123

Chapter 6

Post by eige1123 »

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Very nice find. Thank you.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I love the Cap bank cage in the background of the pic on pages 65/66!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

We needed the microwave tech when I was on the project, and it was frankly over my head. I had no idea how to set up one of the short wavelength systems such as they'd used on the old DTI project. They were running 93 GHz and I didn't even know where to buy microwave gear above 50 GHz, as far as most catalogs went.

Glad to see this.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

That explains the need for a microwave person, it also gives an idea as to where Polywell was back in November(?) last year. The plasma shots mentioned were also 2ms. One might suppose they have some plasma density measurements by now. I would have thought their plasma measurements would have been worked out in WB-7.1. Perhaps they were using other techniques that the microwave measurements were intended to improve upon....
Best regards,

PS We get a picture of the WB-8 shell, 44 bolt holes for the flange? What diameter would that make the flange?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

In many ways WB-8 is still operating well under capacity. The Marx Bank which charges the coils has been turned on, but only seven of the eventual 20 capacitors are connected. Even those seven capacitors have not yet been fully charged. The electron gun is being repaired and has not been used with the interferometer mounted.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

He also states a calculational assumption that the plasma ball is 20cm in diameter.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

This looks considerably more sophisticated than what I know of the DTI setup. Physically, my kind of project, with protoboards and dimension lumber. Math-wise, wow!

So, I guess now you guys know what I meant when I said what I saw was shiny. I suspect several of you are madly counting CF flange bolts and looking up sizes in the catalogs. That will keep you busy for a while, but I notice the camera angles don't show a lot.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

ladajo wrote:
In many ways WB-8 is still operating well under capacity. The Marx Bank which charges the coils has been turned on, but only seven of the eventual 20 capacitors are connected. Even those seven capacitors have not yet been fully charged. The electron gun is being repaired and has not been used with the interferometer mounted.
Likely six months ago, no?

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Tom Ligon wrote:I suspect several of you are madly counting CF flange bolts and looking up sizes in the catalogs. That will keep you busy for a while, but I notice the camera angles don't show a lot.
Above, 44 but I'm poor at the catalog search.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Man, what I would have given for that parts list. The DTI papers I saw had next to nothing! They were test reports, not construction manuals.

rcain

Post by rcain »

very interesting paper - thanks eigel.

only scanned over it so far - but strewn with little nuggets of info and clues to status - circa dec 2011.

i wonder if Joe Katchan at Sydney or Famulus is able to knock up something similar for their experiments. (microwave inteferometer/refractometer).

jcoady

Post by jcoady »

He mentions

"The chamber is ~2 meters wide and our
vacuum wavelength is 3.1915mm."

How big would the polywell device be inside the vacuum chamber.

jcoady

Post by jcoady »

"The coils will eventually be charged up to 25kV."

I implemented a Poisson Solver in MATLAB for a charged magnetic grid inside the vacuum chamber. I get something that looks like this for the electric potential inside the chamber due to the charge on the magnetic grid. This is a cutaway view down the middle of a cube shape vacuum chamber.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5095342/images/polywell4.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5095342/images/polywell5.jpg

Other images of setting up the 3D mesh for poisson solver.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5095342/images/polywell1.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5095342/images/polywell2.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5095342/images/polywell3.jpg

MSimon

Re: Chapter 6

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.