Go navy!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Old news. There are concerns about the ability to withstand stresses created between the pods across the body supports during high speed manuevering. Think two rocket torpedoes trying to go in different directions while connected across the body.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I thought it had been dated just a couple weeks ago. Any idea what sorts of speeds we're talking about?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Nah, I think they went public last summer or so. August??? Anyways, as I recall it is suppossed to be good for about double conventional high performance speed. Say around 100kts (ish).

Maybe I should look at their website and see what they think they are doing... :D
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Just looked at their webpage. The press releases indicate first mentioning the craft (no details) in March, 11 and then first photos in August. The new re-hash is about them looking for an off-the-shelf weapons integrator.

The big problem I see with the design, besides the aforementioned stress issue, is the potential for hull slamming. Which would only make the first point worse.

Check out these guys for an innovative approach to controlling slamming:

http://www.interceptboats.com/

They use a patented "Tuned Tunnel" method, that in simple terms redirects the vertical slam to the rear and out the tunnel. I have logged some hours on the stick with the design, and set my personal airtime record with it off Government Cut in Miami with a 4 one-thousand count flight. Really good boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1hk5pvYxM

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:I think you mean "anti-node" rather than "node".

Trouble is, you can't set up a standing wave with an open, or 1/4 wave resonator. The most you could do is create a compression wave as a function of the compressor and allow that wave to propagate out and strike an incoming torpedo. You might do that more than once and create positive reinforcement at a specific point, but that would not necessarily be any more powerful a compression than if you had a single transducer at higher power.

The question seems to me is, can you transduce a compression wave of sufficient magnitude to explode a torpedo. My first guess would be not, but I wouldn't be surprised to find I'm wrong.

Better though, is probably to have a smaller, faster torpedo intercept and detonate, and have that compression wave set off the incoming torpedo. The compression from an explosive is far higher than from a sonar transducer, and if you set it off away from the boat, you have far more magnitude where you want it--at the incoming torpedo.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18825205.800

http://prof.danglais.pagesperso-orange. ... pedoes.pdf
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Of note is that the propsed system can also be used to mitigate underwater shock from blasts.

I imagine, at full scale, it would also make an impressive fish smusher. Kind of like Fire Control Radar makes a decent bird spot cooker.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Diogenes wrote: One of the best Ideas i've seen for torpedo protection is to use a series of sonic transducers on the side of a ship to produce a stationary node in the path of an oncoming torpedo. When it hits it, it explodes as if it had hit something solid. (Which effectively, it had.)

I forget where I put that article.

(Think of it as a phased array radar, but with sound wave induced hydraulic compression at the focus of the wave front.)
Way back at the beginning of my career in the Navy Syscoms, I had some real fun with a tasker sent out by OPNAV seeking "Terms of Reference" for future naval systems. This was one of a half dozen or so that I turned in. I'm pretty sure that many others did too. I mean, in the age of Star Trek, how can you NOT recommend a Phaser (PHased Array of Sonic EmitteRs).

Now, here it is, almost 25 years later, and they are finally doing it. :D

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

KitemanSA wrote: Now, here it is, almost 25 years later, and they are finally doing it. :D
I don't think so. There are several troubles with this method, not the least of which is that the reverse wave from the transducer needed to detonate a torpedo is likely to shake the grey matter of anyone in the boat into jelly. This is not so simple as it seems.

Again, we're not here talking about a standing wave. We'e talking about a 1/4 wave resonator. The power needed to detonate a torpedo is incredible--the reaction of which is easily enough to kill everyone aboard a sub, in much the same way solid rocket boosters would kill passengers aboard without tons of springs to absorb the low frequency oscillation--read Ares. Not a workable solution.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

GIThruster wrote:
KitemanSA wrote: Now, here it is, almost 25 years later, and they are finally doing it. :D
I don't think so. There are several troubles with this method, not the least of which is that the reverse wave from the transducer needed to detonate a torpedo is likely to shake the grey matter of anyone in the boat into jelly.
The idea isn't to detonate the torpedo but to make it detonate itself.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

For best convergence of the acoustic wavefront you want a short wavelength and corresponding small spacing between emitters. The effect on someone swimming in front of an emitter would be more a deafening pure tone than shaking. Each individual emitter should be made with enough directionality to project little into the ship.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

If you look at what Dio found above the opposite is true. They're not using a "wave" in the strictest sense, but rather a single, supersonic pulse or shockwave.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

ladajo wrote:Unfortunately, we are not going to have lots of them. The big push right now is for UUAVs. The big idea is to have a manned mother ship control a squadron (per se) of them. Let them go and do the silly stuff we used to do with manned hulls (at great risk), while we stay back and collect or count, as the mission requires. Net Centric just won't die.
You left me curious about this and here's what I found:
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/us ... 6/uuv.html

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

That about sums it up. Although, the public domain releases are limited. The US push in this area has made a few folks really nervous.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Navy: We’re 4 Years Away From Laser Guns on Ships

That, the Navy’s scientists contend, will get an actual, working laser cannon onto a ship faster. Yes, a 100-kilowatt laser isn’t as powerful as the longed-for megawatt gun. And yes, a solid-state laser can’t operate on multiple wavelengths, while a Free Electron Laser can, making the mega-laser more useful when the sea air is full of crud and pollution. But the Office of Naval Research says that lots of active, near-term threats to ships will be vulnerable to the 100-kilowatt, solid state laser.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03 ... our-years/
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —