Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

icarus wrote:is that all you got left? Be patient?
"Be patient." Hmm, I seem to recall hearing that somewhere else, in another context. Well, I'm trying. :)
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Thanks ladajo, cogent as usual.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

During 4Q of 2011, EMC2 has modified the electron injectors to increase the plasma heating. The higher plasma density in WB-8 prompted the need for higher heating power. We plan to operate WB-8 in high beta regime with the modified electron injectors during 1Q of 2012.
On second reading this sounds to me like the confinement was as expected, but they didn't get the well depths they were hoping for (i.e. excess thermalization was observed). I think Rick would call those results "nuanced." Of course Rick also said that WB confinement is the sine qua non of the Polywell concept, whereas ion focus is just nice to have.

Or, here's a wild notion: maybe this a reference to the higher voltages needed for WB-8.1 operation. That's probably reading a little too much into it, though.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

NotravingDave,
Good chance it is a little of both I think.

As far as them moving, not anytime soon. If they did, it would more than likely be to SPAWAR unused sheltered concrete slab on or near Pt. Loma. Free rent, security, lots of industrial level infrastucture, etc, etc.

I really am gonna have a boo-boo lip if we don't see something by June. I just really think they are at the shyte or get off the pot stage. Funding nazi's are going to choke hard on any further "nuanced" do-overs. We just have to wait and see.

We may be reduced to having someone look up Park's phone number in the San Diego directory to see if he still lives there if things go black... :shock:

Just kidding.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

ladajo wrote:I really am gonna have a boo-boo lip if we don't see something by June.
If so, enough motivation to restart the FOIA request?
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

We've heard more than I expected already with the latest .gov report. Probably it was heavily edited 8). I will be shocked if we hear anything more before November.
Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Northstar

Post by Northstar »

Enginerd wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:What I just noticed was the "Full and Open Competition" statement. The last was Sole Sourse with a J&A.

Maybe this IS something new.
Sure. Anybody with a WB-6, a WB-7.1, all prior reports, and all previously discovered testing data, etc, which is all just sitting around taking up space in their garage, is more than welcome to compete for the new contract... :-)
First post here after a few years of lurking....

Something to think about. If this is described as a 'Full and Open Competition', then there should be Request for Proposal or other documents describing what is being competed. A search for THOSE documents could be interesting.... :)
There are strange things done in the midnight sun....

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Honestly, dunno yet how they will actually fund forward.

But I stand by June. I really think it will be push come shove by then. Money only lasts so long when it is on fire.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

You know I do hear that money ionizes well when puffed into a plasma....

Polywell solves inflation too!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

:D

Northstar

Post by Northstar »

ladajo wrote::D
I've been doing some googling and found some interesting links on the contracts EMC2 has with the Navy.

The first is not dated but appears to be from 2008.

https://www.neco.navy.mil/synopsis_file ... %20J&A.pdf

it is from fedbizops.gov and is a 9 page justification for sole sourcing the contract for the WB-8. This includes three deliverables:

1. Fabricate and test WB-8 Estimated Completion date 30 Mar 2010
2. Option to fabricate WB-8.1 Estimated Competion date 30 Mar 2012
3. Option for ion gun manufacture/modification Estimated Competion date 30 Mar 2012

While none of this is unknown, it is interesting to see the originally anticipated contract dates and monies associated with them so clearly.

Next,

https://www.fpds.gov/common/jsp/LaunchW ... ersion=1.4

Is a listing of the current contract, listing the estimated completion date of June 2012, and an ultimate completion date for optional items of Dec 31st 2013. It is dated 22 June 2011.

It lists a starting contract value of $7,855,504.14 and an ultimate contract value of $12,310,580.74.

Finally,

https://www.fpds.gov/dbsight/search.do? ... 9528956%22

is a listing of current contracts outstanding with EMC2, 11, with dates contracted (ranging from Jan 2010 to Sept 2011) and some $6,600,000 in current outstanding funding obligations.

Reading between the lines in these, they seem to be regularly adding new contract extensions, with funding of multiple $Millions. That says to me that there is progress being made, regardless of whether or not we know what it is on the outside.

Dig in and enjoy!
There are strange things done in the midnight sun....

RHarris

Contract Extension

Post by RHarris »

Looks like the current EMC2 contract option for the ion gun manufacture/modification is getting awarded.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... e&_cview=0

An interesting note from the notice:
During the course of the contracted study several anomalies related to how electrons were fed into the device were discovered.

To solve these anomalies, the additional effort will require the incumbent contractor to further their studies by employing independently powered electron gun arrays operating at up to 10 kilovolt (kV) to inject high energy electrons onto the Plasma Wiffleball 8 core and control the WB formation process.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Hey! I am suppossed to be the one finding those first!

Good find. I have been checking of late, but was busy today. Glad to see others are actively watching.

So, we can say, it will go a little slower.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Well, of course it is showing in NECO, but not yet (not awarded) in FPDS.

Man, I am kicking myself for missing this today. Too busy thinking about Rossibots.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

An extension and increase funding for additional tasks on Contract N68936-09-C-0125 is necessary to provide continuation of research that is directly in scope with the current requirement and it will complete the concept exploration and technology demonstration of the Plasma Wiffleball 8. During the course of the contracted study several anomalies related to how electrons were fed into the device were discovered. These anomalies must be characterized and solutions created if the device is to be made functional. To solve these anomalies, the additional effort will require the incumbent contractor to further their studies by employing independently powered electron gun arrays operating at up to 10 kilovolt (kV) to inject high energy electrons onto the Plasma Wiffleball 8 core and control the WB formation process. Additionally, a separate pulsed power system with minimum 100 amperes current rating will be utilized to power the electron gun arrays.
Full pertinant section, as well as at the end:
EMC2 also has a unique body of knowledge regarding the operation and performance of the Plasma Wiffleball 8, which will allow them to continue the basic research to develop an operational Plasma Wiffleball 8 device. Continued research is critical, as the long term goal is to achieve a clean nuclear energy source for the Navy and DoD. Award of the contract modification is expected on or about 29 March 2012.
https://www.neco.navy.mil/synopsis/deta ... ?id=351205