10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

NASA publicly getting on board LENR?

http://ecatnews.com/?p=1830

I can't see the video here, but it appears to be 1) from NASA and 2) endorsing a LENR approach. Someone please correct me if either of these is untrue!
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

parallel

Post by parallel »

TallDave,
Here is a youtube link if that helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxeKeuh_2Bw
It is from NASA and endorses a LENR approach.
Doesn't tell you anything you don't already know.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Thanks, I guess the only new thing there is NASA being public about this.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

GIThruster wrote:https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... JkmDztMprA

http://www.e-catworld.com/2012/01/nasa- ... -research/

I knew NASA was checking into this, but I didn't expect them to do a 2 minute video. Have to wonder if this is Rossi at work.

Still, looks like NASA's guy on the job is impressed with WLT.
WLT is a clever idea. Almost certainly wrong (with a big gap in the reasoning), but good enough for people to want to test it. No-one yet has got the amazing positive results that you might expect were LENR eal and WLT the explanation.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

TallDave wrote:Thanks, I guess the only new thing there is NASA being public about this.
NASA was quoted in Jan'11 and May'11 they were going to test WLT. This vid looks like a commercial endorsement. Makes one wonder what's up.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

I see a guy talking at a desk. Is there a "NASA" publication? Not some NASA employee's power-point, but an actual report? Did I miss it?

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I don't think there's an official word from NASA yet, but its likely they will or are willing to look into LENR. There was talk of the WL theory previously so it makes sense.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

GIThruster wrote:
TallDave wrote:Thanks, I guess the only new thing there is NASA being public about this.
NASA was quoted in Jan'11 and May'11 they were going to test WLT. This vid looks like a commercial endorsement. Makes one wonder what's up.
It is excellent that somone at NASA is willing to look at WL and CF based on it. The chances of this working are alas very small, but since WL is slightly less crackpot than other CF stuff it should be investigated.

It also gives the lie to the common CF theme that great developments are being suppressed by prejudice. In reality everyone would love CF to exist, and given half a chance there are many capable of doing decent science who will investigate anything that looks even slightly possible.

Anyway, let us wait and see what are the results. Of course, if these are negative we will not hear much more, and people will say it has been suppressed!

icarus

Post by icarus »

Didn't think it was possible but this thread has descended into a bigger pissing contest than it was when I left it ..... all the top flight, classy scientists left here I see (betting on their opinions) [/sarc]

I'm still waiting on a Polywell to heat my water .... let's not go there, eh, too much like real science or real politik?

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Just to point to the actual data, please look at slides 13-23 here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... JkmDztMprA

Seems obvious Zawodny, the guy in the vid; has been looking at this just as expected from the notes in Jan and May. Slide 23 is dated Sept.

So what do the folks here find interesting in these slides?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

icarus wrote:Didn't think it was possible but this thread has descended into a bigger pissing contest than it was when I left it ..... all the top flight, classy scientists left here I see (betting on their opinions) [/sarc]

I'm still waiting on a Polywell to heat my water .... let's not go there, eh, too much like real science or real politik?
I'm skeptical of the Polywell working, but then again they haven't made any claims. I can't yet criique anything from them until they provide something to critique, much is not the case for other endeavors.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

GIThruster wrote:
Yes, you'd think they wouldn't want egg on their faces, so the implication is they've seen something interesting.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

MSimon wrote:You know that is not enough. It is like saying, "To build a generating plant I need some coal, some iron, copper wire, and a few other things - TBD."
True, but... one would still be correct in saying "There are circumstances, as yet unknown, in which these things can be combined to produce electrical power." which for LENR right now is enough to move the ball past the first down marker.

In the era before electrical power generation one could even have correctly stated "The as-yet unknown combination of these things will change the world immensely" which is perhaps farther than a lot of LENR advocates would go today.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

"There are circumstances, as yet unknown, in which these things can be combined to produce electrical power."
That is the hindsight view. Correctly:

"There MAY BE circumstances, as yet unknown, in which these things can be combined to produce electrical power."

OTOH there may not be.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ScottL wrote:
parallel wrote:ScottL
There are no data points, setup information, nor anything else that implies a run time longer than 4-5 hours so far. I wouldn't mind seeing the data sheets on such a run though.
I wonder why you have this urge to post drivel. It would improve the signal to noise ration of this thread if you would keep your word and quit, as you said you would many pages back.

In the time you save, you could possibly educate yourself by reading the 3000 odd papers listed here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@es ... 59670.html
I post what I post because you make incredible claims that are repeatedly found to be incorrect, half-truths, or in the case of that link an out and out lie. I found no data reports, science reports, nor elemtrary school reports on continuous functioning of any LENR devices. I did however; find a lot of bickering going on. Sadly I wasted my time hoping you were capable of anything more than a child's comprehension of the subject.

Secondly, your reading comprehension has degraded I fear. I stated back in September that I would not speak on the matter until October. By my calculations, that month has long passed and I am free by keeping my own set deadline to speak again on this topic.

Finally, I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't post absolutely meta-physical garbage everytime you think you've come up with a miraculous explanation for Rossi's device. He's not designing his lattices or cavities or anything else for that matter. The "signal to noise ratio" would be greatly corrected if you simply didn't post anything outside of known facts, which you've never done amazingly enough.
This is why I LOVE hanging out with engineers.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.