Any polywell news?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Yes, cash flow as opposed to over budget. Anybody who has dealt with government knows about this issue.

After 500 tests, I doubt that equipment issues were unresolvable, but that is just my interpretation. I won't argue with a counter opinion as there are no published facts at this point, and facts may not available be for sometime.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

You do recall the continuing series of continuing resolutions, no?

vankirkc

Post by vankirkc »

mvanwink5 wrote:Yes, cash flow as opposed to over budget. Anybody who has dealt with government knows about this issue.

After 500 tests, I doubt that equipment issues were unresolvable, but that is just my interpretation. I won't argue with a counter opinion as there are no published facts at this point, and facts may not available be for sometime.
For those of us who haven't dealt with the government, what is the issue with cash flow?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

For one thing, I would bet that the money reported on recovery.gov has errors. In my early dealings with them, I pointed out numerous things that did not add up, and they admitted that the system was prone to errors given the complexity of funding reporting. Many different entities repoting on the same things, but all operating on seperate money "clocks" where some would see transactions before others, while some would never see them. All they all kick in independently to the reporting process via their own reporting requirements. Then add in reporting errors, like typing in the contract reference without dash marks, etc, etc...

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Bills invoiced to the government have their own fulfillment time logic, or not. You will see the cash when you get it. Best to count on it only after it is in your hand.

There are people who have special skill sets to expedite this process.
Best regards

PS The same can be said for very large companies, I have had contractors come to me begging for help to get their invoices paid. I really feel for them. Their only real leverage is when the end user (like me) needs their service and has to make the calls.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

mvanwink5 wrote:Bills invoiced to the government have their own fulfillment time logic, or not. You will see the cash when you get it. Best to count on it only after it is in your hand.

There are people who have special skill sets to expedite this process.
Best regards

PS The same can be said for very large companies, I have had contractors come to me begging for help to get their invoices paid. I really feel for them. Their only real leverage is when the end user (like me) needs their service and has to make the calls.
When I deal with large companies I require payment within 10 days of delivery with a 10% or 20% kicker if not paid on time (I am some forgiving if they are close). That is 120% or 240% a year interest (the way they look at it). The money comes very quickly.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

space_dreamer

Post by space_dreamer »

Bump, any news?

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

The next publication of data from Recovery Act recipients on Recovery.gov is on January 30, but I think the consensus here is that EMC2 has used up its Recovery Act money and is now being funded by other means. So, apart from any government contracts ladajo manages to dig up, or any further interviews Dr. Park deigns to give, we shouldn't expect to hear any news about EMC2 for the time being.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think the most likely thing we will see is movement or not to WB8.1
I am still interested in the "final report" concept under ARRA guidance. I am not convinced they have met the intent, but that in itself does not mean that they will ever file one to say the results of the project. It remains an unclear legal point.

My bet is that we will see indications via FPDS. I am not convinced they will initiated a new contract, and thus there may be little to nothing via NECO or FBO.

I remain optimistic that Park will give some sort of a 8.0 "completion" interview probably around June.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

The one little tidbit I'll offer is that they no longer leave their garage bay door open. Evidently some people were nosy!

Other than that, I'll say it is really shiny.

And that's all you get from me.

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

Tom Ligon wrote:The one little tidbit I'll offer is that they no longer leave their garage bay door open. Evidently some people were nosy!

Other than that, I'll say it is really shiny.
Since we have so little to go on with that, lets see if we can mine that for every scrap we can get...

What is the antecedent for the 'it' that is shiny? The garage bay door, the nosy people, the WB8(+?) Polywell, or something else? And by shiny do you mean strongly reflective of light, or the more vernacular usage of 'cool' (as pioneered in Firefly)?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

:P

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Tom, I have a warm place for you in my heart because I learned about the Polywell from your Analog article several years ago. I do hope you don't get in trouble for violating the NDA you signed!

And since you have (violated the NDA), you might as well tell us more... :wink:
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Garage door talk! That is what I was waiting for, shiny!

choff

Post by choff »

They probably wouldn't care so much about nosy people and NDA's if it didn't work.
CHoff