10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

ScottL wrote:http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=208222

Theorem summary:
Mermin-Wagner theorem tells you that if there is a long-range-order (existence of BEC) in two-dimensional systems, the fluctuations will drive the system to somewhere else, destroying the condensate.
The literature addresses this consideration.

Because the 2D BEC is generated in a finite cavity there are not enough low energy phonons to destroy the long range order.

Crawdaddy

Re: Chan method of replication

Post by Crawdaddy »

bhl wrote:I'm ok with electronics, but I am not a pro. But I'd like to follow Chan's method if possible. I guess I'm wondering if I buy an RFG that has 5, 10, or 20 volts PP will that be enough to heat a powder in a copper tube to 200C.
Crawdaddy wrote: Be very aware, that if you heat MgH2 to 400C the equilibrium pressure of hydrogen in you sealed copper tube will be 20bar. It would really suck to have it explode and splatter all that extremely hot oil all over the place.

It is pretty clear that this Chan guy is not a retard, or he would likely be dead by now.
If I decide to make my own MgH2 I have a steel pressure vessel and a computer-controlled lab so I can heat stuff up from a long way away. But I may just use my H2 gas. I am going to hold off on the mineral oil bath until I see something happening..
I don't really know what voltage you should get but the higher the better!

Coolbrucelong

Post by Coolbrucelong »

Can anyone recommend a signal generator that supports multiple waveforms and has a enough power to drive an induction coil. (Ebay?) I don't want to spend a fortune, but want something that will be able to heat and/or resonate the metal powders.

Hello BHL

With a few rare exceptions, no signal generator is going to provide the power you need. A high power signal generator output would be 100 mW or less. Notice the specification is power, not voltage. You need at least several Watts. more likely a couple dozen watts.

I suggest you use a signal generator or simple DIY oscillator driving a power switching circuit , a H-bridge for example. Google "Induction heating, schematic" to see what I mean.

However you may well be dealing with harmful or potentially lethal voltage. If you have not worked with such circuitry before I advise extreme caution.

Finely ground reactive metal immersed in hot pressurized hydrogen scares the hell out of me as well.

With respect, do you have the experience and ability to attempt this project safely?

Probably is not a good answer.\
Bruce
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty
Engineer: Someone made that glass twice
as large as it needs to be.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Crawdaddy wrote:The calculated and observed emission from the cavity are both show BEC behavior of photons. Are you saying that the condensed matter in the cavity that behaves exactly like a BEC is not a BEC? If I can "understand and appreciate" this condensate, which behaves exactly like a BEC, can I then appreciate a "real" BEC?
What condensed matter? There is no real condensation in this experiment.
The photons are grouping together due to reaching a common thermal value and TM00 mode, and the authors are stretching this to pass as an equivalent of "condensation".
Of course, if they define their own personal level of ground state and definition of condensation they can call this a BEC, but in realty it is not.

Remember, a BEC requires the particle to be at their lowest energy state, i.e. they cannot drop lower. Photons can hardly be described as being at their lowest energy state possible.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ScottL wrote:http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=208222

Theorem summary:
Mermin-Wagner theorem tells you that if there is a long-range-order (existence of BEC) in two-dimensional systems, the fluctuations will drive the system to somewhere else, destroying the condensate.
It was quite an interesting discussion going up in that thread, too bad it didn't develop further. Thanks for the link!

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

Giorgio wrote:
Crawdaddy wrote:The calculated and observed emission from the cavity are both show BEC behavior of photons. Are you saying that the condensed matter in the cavity that behaves exactly like a BEC is not a BEC? If I can "understand and appreciate" this condensate, which behaves exactly like a BEC, can I then appreciate a "real" BEC?
What condensed matter? There is no real condensation in this experiment.
The photons are grouping together due to reaching a common thermal value and TM00 mode, and the authors are stretching this to pass as an equivalent of "condensation".
Of course, if they define their own personal level of ground state and definition of condensation they can call this a BEC, but in realty it is not.

Remember, a BEC requires the particle to be at their lowest energy state, i.e. they cannot drop lower. Photons can hardly be described as being at their lowest energy state possible.

You are repeating yourself. Account for the observed transition in emission from the cavity mathematically. The nature paper did. It should be easy for a man of your talents.

Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

This presentation provides some interesting historical context and perspective for LENR research/findings. It is more oriented toward actual scientific work than the apparent comercialization/demo approach of Rossi, Defkalion, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VymhJCcNBBc

cg66

Post by cg66 »

Giorgio - hearing Celani getting some interesting results - if you have a moment is there anything newsworthy on 22passi? I looked at some of the info but its pdf in Italian.

http://22passi.blogspot.com/2011/12/rom ... 11-ii.html

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

Kahuna wrote:This presentation provides some interesting historical context and perspective for LENR research/findings. It is more oriented toward actual scientific work than the apparent comercialization/demo approach of Rossi, Defkalion, etc.

The videos of the the 2009 University of Missouri seminar are also available on stevenkrivit's youtube channel.

I watched them in late January and they spurred me to begin a real literature search on the topic. The observation of triple alpha tracks in CR-39 is, in my opinion, a smoking gun.

I recommend the videos to anyone interested in cold fusion.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

H/T to Krivit commentor and Krivit for posting link:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/sensors/Phy ... C_2011.pdf

Nice bit on Sterlings at the end.

I also recommend a visit to here for curiosity searches:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Crawdaddy wrote:
Kahuna wrote:This presentation provides some interesting historical context and perspective for LENR research/findings. It is more oriented toward actual scientific work than the apparent comercialization/demo approach of Rossi, Defkalion, etc.

The videos of the the 2009 University of Missouri seminar are also available on stevenkrivit's youtube channel.

I watched them in late January and they spurred me to begin a real literature search on the topic. The observation of triple alpha tracks in CR-39 is, in my opinion, a smoking gun.
Perhaps you have not read this replication attempt?

http://www.earthtech.org/CR39/index.html
I recommend the videos to anyone interested in cold fusion.
The evidence, when examined carefully, don't look so good. Try reserching any of the individual "credible evidence" experiments for followups.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Crawdaddy, you are on a hiding to nothing.

He is arguing using semantics and quite happily admits it. He is here to argue only, you could teach him nothing because there is nothing he will learn but what he already "knows"... Seems he has gathered a fawning circle of serial insulters too, so good luck penetrating that mutual-grooming mob mentality that gets going from there.

Hint for the clueless: A BEC is NOT defined by temperature, it is an effect of the ensemble's statistics ... "condensation" is a bad terminology but there you go, and the "ground state" red herring is just yet another appeal to semantics. The experiments are the truth.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Crawdaddy wrote:You are repeating yourself. Account for the observed transition in emission from the cavity mathematically. The nature paper did. It should be easy for a man of your talents.
Maybe if you actually started to reply to my objections with something more deep than a "read their paper" I will not have anymore the need to repeat my points in reply to your (same) statements.

This experiment was well executed and, in my opinion, did indeed find something new. Unfortunately all their claims and math are based on the hypothesis that what they are observing are indeed photons AND NOT, as example, polaritons or an excitons-polaritons mixture.
I would expect them to experimentally verify at least this very first point before applying it to their model.

If you do not have anything solid to reply to this statements apart "is written inside their paper", than we have really nothing more to discuss.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

icarus wrote:Crawdaddy, you are on a hiding to nothing.

He is arguing using semantics and quite happily admits it. He is here to argue only, you could teach him nothing because there is nothing he will learn but what he already "knows"... Seems he has gathered a fawning circle of serial insulters too, so good luck penetrating that mutual-grooming mob mentality that gets going from there.
Look who is talking about semantics..... :roll:

icarus wrote:Hint for the clueless: A BEC is NOT defined by temperature, it is an effect of the ensemble's statistics ... "condensation" is a bad terminology but there you go, and the "ground state" red herring is just yet another appeal to semantics. The experiments are the truth.
Experiments and definitions are tightly bonded together.
You cannot have a truthful experiment without a truthful definition of your experimental environment and the related measured variables.

You proved once more that you have little understanding of the definitions of scientific method. Good work.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Going back to the thread, yesterday chrismb posted on the wikipedia page of the Rossi reactor an interesting paragraph regarding the patent process.
This paragraph has now been removed by one of the moderators, pending revision.

I paste it here as it is an interesting point:
Rossi's US patent application, 12/736,193 filed September 16th 2010, is listed under USPTO Class 126/263.01 "Stoves and Furnaces; Chemical Heaters". Rossi's patent application does not reveal any specifics of the catalyzer materials he references in the specification and claims of his application. He has also previously stated, in an answer on his personal blog, that "We will not reveal any industrial secret, obviously".
However, as indicated in the MPEP 2165 and Union Carbide Corp v. Borg Warner, 193 U.S.P.Q "Where an inventor knows of a specific material that will make possible the successful reproduction of the effects claimed by the patent, but does not disclose it, speaking instead in terms of broad categories, the best mode requirement has not been satisfied."
From the above it looks pretty clear that Rossi will not be able to get any patent protection in USA.