New Polywell Reactor Article in Journal of Fusion Energy

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, Andrew's current grid is very small, which is a function, obviously of his chamber size. You however, have the luxury to go much larger as you have done. But, again, I am curious as to what drove your choice for grid diameters? Was it a function of the large(ish) chamber you are using and maximizing the volume, or did you look at it another way?

With adding ion guns, that would nominally give you 10^8 neutrons, how do you plan to get 10^10 or higher?

By the way, I am impressed that you have been able to bias to -140KV. That is good work, and speaks to your design work.

vahid

Post by vahid »

You know, it is an academic work. We followed university of Wisconsin Madison IECF research and we used their modeling to design electods sizes. Implantation of D+ and He+ in Candidate Fusion First Wall Materials is our new work that is accepted by Journal of Fusion Energy and will be published as soon as possible.
We do not intend to enlarge the device size rather than university of Wisconsin Madison IECF.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And in this, is partially why I think you are better to add ion guns first, and cooling second.

Cooling addition will take a complete re-work of your grids and support structure, whereas ion guns shoul dbe able to be added with minimal work. Especially given that your chamber is a nice size and thus lends itself to modifications.

I remain curious about your power supply setups, and how clean the power feed is to the grid.

vahid

Post by vahid »

You are right about ion sources.
In this work a three-phase high voltage 25kw DC electric power supply was used that unfortunately it is not suitable for pulsed operation. A multi-layer quartz tube for high voltage feedthrough (Injection of high voltage composite; Epoxy+Hardener+Resin; between the layers, was used. The mechanicable alumina ceramics are also available.

Are you satisfied fair enough?
Last edited by vahid on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

I have nothing to add except I am an American citizen and I endorse the research of the polywell by any nationality in any country.

Best and peaceful wishes to you.

vahid

Post by vahid »

bennmann wrote:Best and peaceful wishes to you.
Me too. Thank you.

choff

Post by choff »

vahid wrote:
bennmann wrote:Best and peaceful wishes to you.
Me too. Thank you.
But if you play up the paranoia all the national governments will begin a frantic crash program to build a full scale working Polywell first, the better to get good funding!
CHoff

vahid

Post by vahid »

choff wrote:But if you play up the paranoia all the national governments will begin a frantic crash program to build a full scale working Polywell first, the better to get good funding!
Yup. We will try hard.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

vahid wrote:You are right about ion sources.
In this work a three-phase high voltage 25kw DC electric power supply was used that unfortunately it is not suitable for pulsed operation. A multi-layer quartz tube for high voltage feedthrough (Injection of high voltage composite; Epoxy+Hardener+Resin; between the layers, was used. The mechanicable alumina ceramics are also available.

Are you satisfied fair enough?
Thank you for the detail. I am interested in the actual power supply setup itself. I am curious as to how clean the power you sourced to the grid was.

Also, have you read the Phd papers by Thomas Mcguire or Ryan Meyer?

choff

Post by choff »

vahid wrote:
choff wrote:But if you play up the paranoia all the national governments will begin a frantic crash program to build a full scale working Polywell first, the better to get good funding!
Yup. We will try hard.
After I saw the front page of the National Post today I take back the joke. Things are getting paranoid enough right now. Your Polywell effort is probably safe, unless somebody decides it can be used as a neutron source to enrich weapons grade material. Then it gets on the target list, unless Mossad decides to use assasinations instead of bombing. If thats the case, the top researchers have to keep checking the rear view mirror while driving for two guys on a motorbike.
CHoff

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Your Polywell effort is probably safe, unless somebody decides it can be used as a neutron source to enrich weapons grade material.
For which there are probably better, more cost efficient means of doing that than an experimental device that at best will work with short pulses and at worst might not work at all...
Just saying...

vahid

Post by vahid »

ladajo wrote:Also, have you read the Phd papers by Thomas Mcguire or Ryan Meyer
Yes, I read about multi-grid IECF that increases NPR.
In IECF devices adding "cooling system+multigrid" is very difficult.

Aslan

Post by Aslan »

choff wrote: After I saw the front page of the National Post today I take back the joke. Things are getting paranoid enough right now. Your Polywell effort is probably safe, unless somebody decides it can be used as a neutron source to enrich weapons grade material. Then it gets on the target list, unless Mossad decides to use assasinations instead of bombing. If thats the case, the top researchers have to keep checking the rear view mirror while driving for two guys on a motorbike.
First, large scale Polywell is proton-Boron fusion reactor that is not suitable to produce neutrons because of first wall lifetime.
Secondly, the fission research reactors with high neutron production rate are available in every country. If they wanted to make or upgrade their weapons, they had done until now. So they never want.
It seems the real terrorists are those who kill or threaten researchers. The measures that Mossad does, can be easily understood that who are the terrorists?
Last edited by Aslan on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Maybe we could take the politics of this topic out into a separate forum thread.

Aslan

Post by Aslan »

Betruger wrote:Maybe we could take the politics of this topic out into a separate forum thread.
I apologize.