New Polywell Reactor Article in Journal of Fusion Energy

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo
Posts: 6067
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: North East Coast

Postby ladajo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Yes, Andrew's current grid is very small, which is a function, obviously of his chamber size. You however, have the luxury to go much larger as you have done. But, again, I am curious as to what drove your choice for grid diameters? Was it a function of the large(ish) chamber you are using and maximizing the volume, or did you look at it another way?

With adding ion guns, that would nominally give you 10^8 neutrons, how do you plan to get 10^10 or higher?

By the way, I am impressed that you have been able to bias to -140KV. That is good work, and speaks to your design work.

vahid
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Postby vahid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:00 pm

You know, it is an academic work. We followed university of Wisconsin Madison IECF research and we used their modeling to design electods sizes. Implantation of D+ and He+ in Candidate Fusion First Wall Materials is our new work that is accepted by Journal of Fusion Energy and will be published as soon as possible.
We do not intend to enlarge the device size rather than university of Wisconsin Madison IECF.
.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

ladajo
Posts: 6067
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: North East Coast

Postby ladajo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:35 pm

And in this, is partially why I think you are better to add ion guns first, and cooling second.

Cooling addition will take a complete re-work of your grids and support structure, whereas ion guns shoul dbe able to be added with minimal work. Especially given that your chamber is a nice size and thus lends itself to modifications.

I remain curious about your power supply setups, and how clean the power feed is to the grid.

vahid
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Postby vahid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:03 pm

You are right about ion sources.
In this work a three-phase high voltage 25kw DC electric power supply was used that unfortunately it is not suitable for pulsed operation. A multi-layer quartz tube for high voltage feedthrough (Injection of high voltage composite; Epoxy+Hardener+Resin; between the layers, was used. The mechanicable alumina ceramics are also available.

Are you satisfied fair enough?
Last edited by vahid on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

bennmann
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Southeast US

Postby bennmann » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:59 pm

I have nothing to add except I am an American citizen and I endorse the research of the polywell by any nationality in any country.

Best and peaceful wishes to you.

vahid
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Postby vahid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 pm

bennmann wrote:Best and peaceful wishes to you.


Me too. Thank you.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

choff
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:02 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby choff » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:34 pm

vahid wrote:
bennmann wrote:Best and peaceful wishes to you.


Me too. Thank you.


But if you play up the paranoia all the national governments will begin a frantic crash program to build a full scale working Polywell first, the better to get good funding!
CHoff

vahid
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Postby vahid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:49 pm

choff wrote:But if you play up the paranoia all the national governments will begin a frantic crash program to build a full scale working Polywell first, the better to get good funding!

Yup. We will try hard.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

ladajo
Posts: 6067
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: North East Coast

Postby ladajo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:51 am

vahid wrote:You are right about ion sources.
In this work a three-phase high voltage 25kw DC electric power supply was used that unfortunately it is not suitable for pulsed operation. A multi-layer quartz tube for high voltage feedthrough (Injection of high voltage composite; Epoxy+Hardener+Resin; between the layers, was used. The mechanicable alumina ceramics are also available.

Are you satisfied fair enough?


Thank you for the detail. I am interested in the actual power supply setup itself. I am curious as to how clean the power you sourced to the grid was.

Also, have you read the Phd papers by Thomas Mcguire or Ryan Meyer?

choff
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:02 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby choff » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 am

vahid wrote:
choff wrote:But if you play up the paranoia all the national governments will begin a frantic crash program to build a full scale working Polywell first, the better to get good funding!

Yup. We will try hard.


After I saw the front page of the National Post today I take back the joke. Things are getting paranoid enough right now. Your Polywell effort is probably safe, unless somebody decides it can be used as a neutron source to enrich weapons grade material. Then it gets on the target list, unless Mossad decides to use assasinations instead of bombing. If thats the case, the top researchers have to keep checking the rear view mirror while driving for two guys on a motorbike.
CHoff

Skipjack
Posts: 5820
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Postby Skipjack » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Your Polywell effort is probably safe, unless somebody decides it can be used as a neutron source to enrich weapons grade material.

For which there are probably better, more cost efficient means of doing that than an experimental device that at best will work with short pulses and at worst might not work at all...
Just saying...

vahid
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Postby vahid » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:48 am

ladajo wrote:Also, have you read the Phd papers by Thomas Mcguire or Ryan Meyer


Yes, I read about multi-grid IECF that increases NPR.
In IECF devices adding "cooling system+multigrid" is very difficult.
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

Aslan
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Postby Aslan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:59 am

choff wrote:After I saw the front page of the National Post today I take back the joke. Things are getting paranoid enough right now. Your Polywell effort is probably safe, unless somebody decides it can be used as a neutron source to enrich weapons grade material. Then it gets on the target list, unless Mossad decides to use assasinations instead of bombing. If thats the case, the top researchers have to keep checking the rear view mirror while driving for two guys on a motorbike.

First, large scale Polywell is proton-Boron fusion reactor that is not suitable to produce neutrons because of first wall lifetime.
Secondly, the fission research reactors with high neutron production rate are available in every country. If they wanted to make or upgrade their weapons, they had done until now. So they never want.
It seems the real terrorists are those who kill or threaten researchers. The measures that Mossad does, can be easily understood that who are the terrorists?
Last edited by Aslan on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Betruger
Posts: 2285
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 am

Postby Betruger » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:37 am

Maybe we could take the politics of this topic out into a separate forum thread.

Aslan
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Postby Aslan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 am

Betruger wrote:Maybe we could take the politics of this topic out into a separate forum thread.

I apologize.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests