ICC 2011

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Solo

ICC 2011

Post by Solo »

Hi all,

The Innovative Confinement Concepts workshop was this past week, you can view the abstracts now, & maybe some presentations.

Of special interest, perhaps, is the General Fusion overview. Note the funding information at the end of the abstract.

TriAlpha also presented an overview of recent results - sounds quite encouraging.

The conference was smaller than previous years, in part due to the 20-30% cut that the DOE handed to the ICC programs (LDX, MCX, and TCSU got defunded.)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Wow, some info from Tri Alpha for a change and good one too!

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I like the part of the instability control with the applied quadrupole fields.
This is something that is interesting also for the Polywell concept.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Did anyone notice also the report from General fusion?
In the next year, we are planning to collapse liquid metal cavity with 14 pistons to check the symmetry achieved. We also plan to compress in 100 us with high explosive the spheromak plasma from our generator from an initial 40 cm, 1E17 cm-3, 100 eV, 100 us life to a final 4 cm, 1E20 cm-3, 10 keV, 10 us life and therefore demonstrate break-even conditions. We presently have 24 M$ in the bank and 47 employees (and still hiring) to achieve these goals.
I say that this is a pretty bold development plan!

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Giorgio wrote:I like the part of the instability control with the applied quadrupole fields.
This is something that is interesting also for the Polywell concept.
Please teach the practical way how to use quadrupole magnets in spherical device.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, good news all around. :)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Joseph Chikva wrote:Please teach the practical way how to use quadrupole magnets in spherical device.
To understand the logical reasoning that took me to say that this could be interesting for the Polywell you should need before to understand how the polywell is supposed to work. Unfortunately you already stated that you are not interested in reading nor in understanding the basics of the Polywell, so, why should I waste my time replying to your questions?
If you need something to fulfill your ego take a mirror and talk to it.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Giorgio wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:Please teach the practical way how to use quadrupole magnets in spherical device.
To understand the logical reasoning that took me to say that this could be interesting for the Polywell you should need before to understand how the polywell is supposed to work. Unfortunately you already stated that you are not interested in reading nor in understanding the basics of the Polywell, so, why should I waste my time replying to your questions?
I have put you the logic question regardless to my ego. Because it is impossible to use axially symmetric magnet in spherical device. Simply device will not be spherical after that.
Also it is not too pleasant to my ego to learn that I know how Polywell should work better than you. Because that is not difficult at all.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Joseph Chikva wrote:I have put you the logic question regardless to my ego. Because it is impossible to use axially symmetric magnet in spherical device. Simply device will not be spherical after that.
If that's all what you can see in that part of the presentation that's your limitation, not my problem.

Joseph Chikva wrote:Also it is not too pleasant to my ego to learn that I know how Polywell should work better than you. Because that is not difficult at all.
Yeah, sure. :roll:

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Giorgio wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:I have put you the logic question regardless to my ego. Because it is impossible to use axially symmetric magnet in spherical device. Simply device will not be spherical after that.
If that's all what you can see in that part of the presentation that's your limitation, not my problem.
That's not only my limitation.
But limitation by logic, symmetry, nature's laws.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Joseph Chikva wrote:That's not only my limitation.
I see. Thank you for your point of view.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Giorgio wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:That's not only my limitation.
I see. Thank you for your point of view.
Thank you too.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
Giorgio wrote:
I have put you the logic question regardless to my ego. Because it is impossible to use axially symmetric magnet in spherical device. Simply device will not be spherical after that.
Also it is not too pleasant to my ego to learn that I know how Polywell should work better than you. Because that is not difficult at all.

A quadrapole is fundamental to the polywell. though I believe that this is actually a 2 dimensional concept. A three dimensional arrangemet would be called a _____ pole ?
Opposing symetrical magnets is a key part of the Polywell. Wheather these magnets need to be exactly symetrical in geometry has been argued here. I'm uncertain. some of EMC's designs seem to suggest that this may not be absolute. An example would be having a magnet coil that is triangular in shape. On one side it is aranged as pyrimid with a brod base on the bottom, on the opposite the triangular magnet may be inverted so that an apex points down.

In any case, none of this will create a spherical or even a 2D circular magnetic field between magnets. That would only be possible with a monopole. This is why terms like quasi spherical, near spherical, sphere with spikes, etc are used.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

D Tibbets wrote: A quadrapole is fundamental to the polywell. though I believe that this is actually a 2 dimensional concept. A three dimensional arrangemet would be called a _____ pole ?
Polywell with polypole?
D Tibbets wrote:Opposing symmetrical magnets is a key part of the Polywell.?
Yes, but when we talk about quadrupole, 6-pole or octopole magnets usually we mean strong focusing magnets for currents. In heavy ions fusion experiments for controlling of non-neutral beam position also is proposed the electrostatic quadrapoles. So, in conventional understanding Polywell's magnet system (set of opposing magnets) is not x-pole. There is magnet mirrors. But this is only terminology issue.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
D Tibbets wrote: A quadrapole is fundamental to the polywell. though I believe that this is actually a 2 dimensional concept. A three dimensional arrangemet would be called a _____ pole ?
Polywell with polypole?
D Tibbets wrote:Opposing symmetrical magnets is a key part of the Polywell.?
Yes, but when we talk about quadrupole, 6-pole or octopole magnets usually we mean strong focusing magnets for currents. In heavy ions fusion experiments for controlling of non-neutral beam position also is proposed the electrostatic quadrapoles. So, in conventional understanding Polywell's magnet system (set of opposing magnets) is not x-pole. There is magnet mirrors. But this is only terminology issue.
A polywell could be made quadrapole by having only four magnet coils ... in a tetrahedron (the minimum number of "sides" for a working polywell).