Where is the US Congressional Declaration of War...

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Boyd's ideas are very apparent (and taught) in today's military planning. In the end he won. The sad part is that the standard line tends to teach the OODA loop as a time dependant function, when the was exactly not what Boyd meant. So today we have battle rhythms (an almage to Boyd), that ironically are tied to the golf schedule of the most senior guy involved (I am not joking...).
I once proposed and codified a batlle rhythm process the was more matrix like and time variable. The idea was more centered on Boyd's actual concepts, and holy cow, it actually worked well. Unfortunately, it has not yet stuck. But, the experiment was a success.

The bomber v fighter cultures in the air force are another fantastic study in cultural dynamics that is still playing out today.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

ladajo wrote:... So today we have battle rhythms (an almage to Boyd), that ironically are tied to the golf schedule of the most senior guy involved (I am not joking...).
So all the enemy has to do is get inside the golf schedule loop of our (this particular) most senior guy! Marvelous! What ever you do, don't publish his name! :)

Closer to our original subject: Are we near the end of Gaddafi's rule? Let us hope.
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

So all the enemy has to do is get inside the golf schedule loop of our (this particular) most senior guy! Marvelous!

And you think this hasn't been done...? I would attribute it to several failures that I have seen. The down side of technology is increased connectivity. This means that the top can drill in with historically unprecedented ease to tactical issues. Not neccessarily a good thing. Say for example the idea of a ship captain being isolated and independant, ala Master and Commander-esque is a long demised romantic notion.

So in short two answer your two questions: yes, and yes, The Libyan is done. Maybe he himself thinks he is not, but sooner rather than later IMHO, he is done. His isolation grows exponentially.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

ladajo wrote:This means that the top can drill in with historically unprecedented ease to tactical issues. Not neccessarily a good thing. Say for example the idea of a ship captain being isolated and independant, ala Master and Commander-esque is a long demised romantic notion.
I think the worst example is President Carter cancelling the US Embassy hostage rescue mission via satellite link with Col. Beckwith. At least, that's the story I read.

Shouldn't that have been Col. Beckwith's call?

R. Peters

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

They had already exceeded failure criteria (number of A/C on insert) and were in abort status. Plus Carter was a puppet for his NSC team. Not really his call at all (ever), he was lead by the hand. So I've been told by folks that were involved.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Still, Col. Beckwith had enough on his mind without conversing with the President. This kind of stuff is why we spend megabucks finding, training and supporting people who don't need having their hands held.

R. Peters

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

"Correct. Before the Civil war, the battle cry was "Preserve the Union!" (Much the same battle cry of the British trying to keep us as colonies) After the civil war, the justification was that it was a war to free the slaves. "Marketing" adjusts the message to the zeitgeist of the time. The truth is not it's stock in trade."

Having never met any ostensibly sane person who honestly believes the world us flat, thinks phlogiston is the nature of fire, or that miasmas are source of disease, I can truthfully say I have in no sense met any more deliberately stupid and evil people than the apologists for the Confederate States of America, excepting the Holocaust Deniers they closely resemble. AGW proponents are working down to that sort of level--they just haven't caused the same sort of harm yet...they are trying. I am in no way surprised Diogenes verges upon the sort of filth and that frequently oozes out into his work-a-day posts.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Where was Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C. before Libya cranked up?

"Congress Threatens Obama Impeachment If Syria is Attacked

A North Carolina congressman warned President Barack Obama that any military intervention in Syria without congressional approval might result in impeachment proceedings. I doubt the bill will advance beyond the House, but at least the president has been warned. "

http://news.yahoo.com/congress-threaten ... 00166.html

R. Peters

Roger

Post by Roger »

rjaypeters wrote:I can't immediately remember other examples where acting on the behalf of the United Nations allowed the U.S. President to ignore U.S. Constitutional requirements for the declaration of war..
Truman decided to send US troops before the UN approved res 83, both occured June 27th. USSR told Truman on June 27th they would not be involved. Remember Truman went after the Steel Mills June 24th, clearly Truman had mentally taken a war footing by June 25th
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 91/BJL.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War

The last formal US declaration of war was in WW2, only the 5th time Congress did so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaratio ... ted_States
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.