The average IQ in Europe has been dropping

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

The average IQ in Europe has been dropping

Post by Skipjack »

The Europeans, particularily the Germans have been getting dumber over the past 30 years or so. It is getting more evident now than ever. I do have my theories on the why that is, but I wont get into that now.

First the Germans are planning to completely get out of nuclear power.
It is a sign of total insanity and given the circumstances it is also completely pointless from pretty much any point of view.

Then a German company has came up with this plan:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/05/desert ... ts-of.html

Sorry, but only an imbecile would come up with something like that!
This plan is wrong on so many levels, I dont even know where to start!
1. So the main point of using more electricity instead of fossile fuels is independence from foreign oil. With this, we would be dependent on the same people, yet again!
2. These people hate us! Why give over 20% of our electricity into their hands?! All they would have to do is flip a switch and we loose 20% of our power.
3. This is a sociologically unstable region. Why would I want to put anything there from my money, that millions will depend on? What sort of a gamble is that meant to be?!
4. 400 billion Euros?! Yeah sure, lets send 400 billion Euros into a polticially unstable region full of people that hate us! How many power stations of all sorts could be build in our own countries for that much money?
5. Then add the losses of transfer of the power from there to here. How much would that add to the costs?

In other words, this plan is completely and utterly nonsensical!
And the insane idiot politicians in the EU are funding this sort of crap!
Sorry, but this is pathological, I am sure. Only someone who is insane to the point that he is a danger to society would come up with such an idea! I would recommend to send the people behind this into a clinic to get their brains checked and to get treatment. Although, I do doubt that there is anything that can be done for someone that is that far gone!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I really hope that Rossi, or Lerner, or EMC2, or Slough, or Rostocker, really anybody come up with some alternative to nuclear fission soon, because nuclear fission power is dead in Germany and Austria and with that we are all doomed to live with insanity like this study quoted above.
To quote Diogenes here: We are Doomed! Dooooooomed I say!

jmc

Post by jmc »

Don't forget according to friends of the Earth Nuclear Power is dirty and expensive.

Much better to set a robot army of renewable energy generating machines loose on every square inch of nature so that in twenty years time when they all get rusty the whole countryside will look like a giant scrapheap. And all this for an affordable price of 100 billion.

BTW if your interested in doing something about it other then sending frustrated posts in internet forums I recommend that you join Environmentalists For Nuclear Energy (EFN)
http://www.ecolo.org/

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I will check out the RFn tomorrow, thanks for the link.
I am not really an environmentalist though, but I will have a look anyway.

choff

Post by choff »

It depends on if the German reactors are the same design as the Japanese, and if they have any fault lines they've put them on. Merkel is probably blowing smoke for political reasons, cause once the rubber starts to hit the road funding alternate energy, there's probably going to be a quiet backtracking on policy. That or fusion power starts coming on line in a decade.
CHoff

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Maybe the Germans are planning to focus their efforts on Wendelstein 7-X.

Okay, I'll come back down to Earth now. :P
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

jmc

Post by jmc »

EFN consists of some Environmentalists but also alot of people who come from a background in Nuclear Fission and Fusion.

"Environmentalist" basically is put there because we believe nuclear power is good for the environment (i.e. produces no CO2, no air pollution and doesn't trash the countryside through dumping 100,000s of hunks of 300 ton pieces of metal renewable generating machines all over it)

Nuclear power has lost the battle because those who support it are happy to quitely standby and watch as those who oppose it launch mass demonstrations against it.

If you look at opinion poll results the supporters of nuclear energy are as many or even more in number than the opposition. There just a lot quieter.

Supporters of nuclear power need to start making some noise if we don't want to lose our nuclear industry.

Giorgio

Re: The average IQ in Europe has been dropping

Post by Giorgio »

Skipjack wrote:First the Germans are planning to completely get out of nuclear power.
It is a sign of total insanity and given the circumstances it is also completely pointless from pretty much any point of view.

Then a German company has came up with this plan:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/05/desert ... ts-of.html

Sorry, but only an imbecile would come up with something like that!
I agree on every single point you are making.
I blame mainly TV for the poor state of mental health of this generation.

As for nuclear, we never had it in Italy thanks to the Greens. Our public debt is now bringing us on the verge of default, and this mainly due to the cost of having to import most of the power/energy sources we consumed during the last 20 years.
I guess this lesson is not yet clear to the other EU nations, except maybe France.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Our public debt is now bringing us on the verge of default, and this mainly due to the cost of having to import most of the power/energy sources we consumed during the last 20 years.
High oil prices are the main driver of inflation in Austria. It is horrible. I cant wait for us to have a REAL alernative to oil. So we can stop sending our hard earned cash to people that hate us anyway.
And then they come up with the solution quoted above?!
It is like driving out the devil by employing Beelzebub (hope that German metaphor translated well).
I blame mainly TV for the poor state of mental health of this generation.
I have my own theories. TV certainly has something to do with it too though. But I think it is merely a symptom of the real issues.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Skipjack wrote:It is like driving out the devil by employing Beelzebub (hope that German metaphor translated well).
It does :D

jmc

Post by jmc »

I would say TV is more than a symptom, it is a catalyst.

There's a form of natural selection happening in TV programmes. The most voyeuristic melodramatic programme always gets higher ratings than more measured ones.

Television programmes evolve to attract our attention.

And at the level beneath that those who hate progress, expansion, material prosperity etc. have become ever more skilled at understanding how the publics opinion may be swayed in the direction they want it. By channelling th voyeurism, melodramatic fear, presenting shows of force in support of their views (with appeals to our subconcious desire to align ourselves with the forceful) such as anti-nuclear demonstrations, aswell as a narrative of the evil elite trying to impose nuclear power on "the people" they have successfully managed to banish an effective economical technology from vast swathes of Europe.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

TV is just a way of controlling those that were already born with a low IQ.
Those born with a high enough IQ will easily see through the deception.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Skipjack wrote:I have my own theories. TV certainly has something to do with it too though. But I think it is merely a symptom of the real issues.
I was thinking it was video games.* Don't you develop video games for a living?

More seriously, the phrase "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." applies to every time. In many ways, the early twenty-first century is a wonderful time to be alive. In a lot of other ways, it is not. We have marvelous means to transfer information which can feed our knowledge and, maybe, increase our wisdom. Those same technologies are also used to entertain, distract and seduce us away from our responsibilities.

*Joke :D
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

No, I dont develop video games for a living. I used to be involved with game development a while ago. I do develop more serious software nowadays.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Good for you. My mistake. :oops:
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters