Fabber Progress

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

djolds1

Fabber Progress

Post by djolds1 »

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/04/re ... l-con.html

RepRap universal constructor achieves self-replication
Posted by Mark Frauenfelder, June 4, 2008 1:47 PM | permalink

The RepRap universal constructor made a successful copy of itself on May 29, 2008.

Adrian (left) and Vik (right) with a parent RepRap machine, made on a conventional rapid prototyper, and the first complete working child RepRap machine, made by the RepRap on the left. The child machine made its first successful grandchild part at 14:00 hours UTC on 29 May 2008 at Bath University in the UK, a few minutes after it was assembled.
Vae Victis

drmike

Post by drmike »

Thanks! That's really good to hear, these guys have been working on this for a while.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I've also been following this and related efforts for a while. As a physics lab manager I'm always running into situations where I need to replace a broken widget where the mfr went out of business in the 50's. Or I need to make a new widget for some demo. Problem is, these low-end devices can't make precision parts (not the precision I need anyway).

The other thing is, the definition for self-reproduction is slippery. Does the reprap make all its parts? No, but then neither do people, we need vitamins. Does it assemble all its parts? No. So how do they consider it self-replicating?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

There are some really nice small CNC mills in the $2K to $5K range.

Early days yet on the replicator. Give it time. It will evolve.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.