Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

dnavas

Post by dnavas »

Emmet wrote:
mvanwink5 wrote:The change to R. Nebel's involvement was before first plasma for WB-8, so I can't see anyway to make a technical deduction one way or another.
That's the most important point. If this is really true, and I just can hope so because I don't know you dear quote source, than it is indeed 100% impossible that his change of title/task/location has anything to do with the grade of success of the project.
Oddly, I would think that his purported early departure may well be directly tied to lack of project success. First plasma was late. While that could be project slippage, it could also pre-indicate failure. My recollection was that he was working on next steps. If they had clear indications that that was not going to happen, I'd expect him to wind down and bow out.

BTW, I don't have full access to his linkedin profile, but if you're logged into the site, you can see:
------------------
Richard Nebel's Contact Settings

Interested In
career opportunities
consulting offers
new ventures
job inquiries
expertise requests
business deals
reference requests
getting back in touch

Maybe someone who actually knows him should "get back in touch" with him and ask him what kind of "job inquiries" he's looking for.

-Dave

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

These things that you are listing there are just standard settings on Linkedin. So if he did not edit them, this is what you see.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Emmet wrote:
mvanwink5 wrote:The change to R. Nebel's involvement was before first plasma for WB-8, so I can't see anyway to make a technical deduction one way or another.
That's the most important point. If this is really true, and I just can hope so because I don't know you dear quote source, than it is indeed 100% impossible that his change of title/task/location has anything to do with the grade of success of the project.

In any case it would be interesting to know his (or anyones) shares in the company's ownership structure. That he doesn't go back to his old job as state employee and works instead as an independent consultor I would interprete cautiously optimistic because initially he was just on lend, keeping the safe job in the reserve which now he doesn't seem to need anymore.
I do not know what the thoughtor source that he left before plasma is. What we really know is that he was listed as the compnay officer on the report prior to plasma, and then not on the one reporting first plasma. This only means that his status had changed by the filing of the first plasma (which was well after). So with that thought, it is more likely he was around for first plasma. The only two facts in the public eye are that his name came off the Q4 report, and his Linked-in profile says he is in New Mexico as an Independant Research Consultant. So, odds are, he is not with EMC2 any more, and he is not with LANL either. Sounds to me like he has retired, and is willing to take adhoc research gigs for fun and some cash.
Whatever he knows from EMC2 is going to be under NDA, and he still won't talk.
I wish him the best of luck and am grateful for all his efforts with Polywell.
The idea that the project is a fail because he left IMHO is without merit. We just still do not know. But, I am also sure we will know which way things are headed over the summer. It will be too hard to hide or cover up.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Ladajo,
The project moved to California before first plasma and R. Nebel did not move, so his departure, at least in my mind, had to do with other issues.

The likely scenario, in my mind, is either the hardware move was at the Navy's request or was for project support requirements, and R.Nebel didn't want to move. R. Nebel probably stayed officially as head until first plasma. Also likely, in my mind again, R. Nebel can support the project as a consultant from Santa Fe. I doubt he is off the project.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I would also suggest that WB7.1 provided the needed data for the theoretical model and WB8 is just to confirm it. Rick is probably not expecting surprises, but one never knows anytime an order of magnitude is changed.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Could Nebel leaving have something to do with the way EMC2 handled the last FOI request, ie pleading "proprietary"?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The idea that the project is a fail because he left IMHO is without merit.
Really? If you were part of a project that would change the world, would you leave it to reitre, right when it gets interesting?
I dont think that anybody would do that.
No, I am- unfortunately- very sure now that Polywell is a failure and Nebel left EMC2 because he saw no chance of it succeeding anymore.
It is funny, how a few months (or was it years already?) ago I said that to me a good sign of the project failing would be if Dr. Nebel left.
I have no reason to think otherwise today. In contrary. If anything I have more reason to think that now. There has not been any new information in years and even Msimon went qiet and retreated. To me all signs say: Not going to happen.
It is sad, I was kinda hopeful.
Could Nebel leaving have something to do with the way EMC2 handled the last FOI request, ie pleading "proprietary"?
I think they are both for the same reason:
It does not work!

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Let's see what echoes in the paperwork as Ladajo says. Not that it's worth much, but without hints of progress, I'll be off the fence and on Chrismb's side from then on.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

mvanwink5 wrote:Ladajo,
The project moved to California before first plasma and R. Nebel did not move, so his departure, at least in my mind, had to do with other issues.

The likely scenario, in my mind, is either the hardware move was at the Navy's request or was for project support requirements, and R.Nebel didn't want to move. R. Nebel probably stayed officially as head until first plasma. Also likely, in my mind again, R. Nebel can support the project as a consultant from Santa Fe. I doubt he is off the project.
How do you know that he did not go to CA?

It appeared to me that given the time it took to move, and the reports filed that he did go. He just chose not to stay once it was up and running.
I am not in Rick Nebel's head, and I can not begin to guess why he would leave. It is too variable a topic that could have many different threads weaving through it. Since they are continuing with the project, that says to me that it is still viable. The navy and ONR would have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER to pull funding if it crashed and burned. It happens every day with funded projects.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The navy and ONR would have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER to pull funding if it crashed and burned.
With no further information available, how do you know they have not already done that?

sbw

Post by sbw »

ladajo wrote:. The navy and ONR would have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER to pull funding if it crashed and burned. It happens every day with funded projects.
Pulling funding is pretty rare in my experience; choosing not to fund extensions or follow-on work is one thing, but to actually pull funding on a running project is something only done in extreme circumstances. (For one thing, it really messes up the programme budgets.)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have seen it done many times. Project cancellations and terminations for various reasons. The most volatile arena is those in Rapid Aquisition, I saw a number of off again on agains, and outright kills. In the past, once funded, projects would run the course. Today, not so much. I have also seen a few where a kill was made, and the money re-aligned to a different project. Planned highjackings if you will.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Ladajo, in todays housing market it is difficult to sell a house quickly without taking a complete bath, and one quarter is too quick to sell, move to California then return. Sorry, it makes no sense. Is it possible? Anything is possible, but the suggestion is not very likely. In addition, the move to San Diego took everyone here by surprise and it looks like it was an unplanned change by EMC2. Sure, speculation is all I can do, but there is good reason for the suggestions I have made. Further, based on the characterization of R. Nebel's expertise, I see no reason he couldn't do all his planned support work in Santa Fe as a consultant, with trips to San Diego as needed. EMC2 is still headquartered in Santa Fe.

One more thing, it makes no sense to move a project to San Diego if it looks like a failure. If it looks like it will succeed it makes sense due to the Naval presence there versus Santa Fe. Also, Park is no slouch, why would he take over a dead project?

I have great respect for your insights into Navy projects and understand the reason to be clear on verified fact versus deductions from facts. I am not sure what the reasons are for others pessimisms. What gets posted here positive or negative makes no difference to the project success. We'll know soon enough.
Cheers

pbelter

Post by pbelter »

Jaeyoung Park is the "President/CEO (acting) at Energy Matter Conversion Corp." according to linked in.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jaeyoung-park/0/a41/152

I mentioned this back some time ago

pbelter

Post by pbelter »

Heh, I just noticed:

Viewers of this profile also viewed...

Barack Obama
President of the United States of...