Zomes

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Zomes

Post by MSimon »

I have a short article up about Zomes. It is a construction method based on the Fibonacci series. Very interesting.

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... solar.html

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

^ Nice one Simon. Its a funny feeling when abstracts thoughts in one head start physically manifesting themselves. I want some zomes !
Purity is Power

jmc

Post by jmc »

Fibonacci sequence self-healing eh? I never knew that, but it would explain why nature has selected it so often in designing the anatomical ratios of animals and plants. I wonder if there are other self healing sequences and whether they too are present in the natural world.

Brent

Post by Brent »

Simon,

I hate to mention this, but I did a search for the Polywell concept, and all I could turn up is fractals and strange attractors.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Brent wrote:Simon,

I hate to mention this, but I did a search for the Polywell concept, and all I could turn up is fractals and strange attractors.
What search term(s) did you use? I'd like to see what you turned up.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Brent

Post by Brent »

Simon,

Here it goes (for all my crude understanding):

I should have used different wording, it was more of an inference. What I said was a rather crude conclusion based on reading Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos by Steven H. Strogatz. I found this book after searching for Mandelbot, after seeing him mentioned in some book, that was in some
way related to plasma physics.
I initially thought that the Polywell concept was some form of the strange attractor by mention of the forced-double well oscillator on page 441 of Strogatz’ book where it states, “As soon as we consider forced oscillators and other nonatonomous systems, strange attractors start turning up everywhere.” I also believed this due to the reference to Moon and Holmes on the following page of the book (also see ref at the end of this post).
I could have been wrong about the strange attractor. In the Valencina paper on page seven, Bussard states, “If electrons live sufficiently long in the machine they could
become Maxwellianized…. However, this has been found not to be the case.” This suggests that the system does not have boundaries, as a strange attractor requires, since the electrons leave the system? (See pg 424 of Strogatz if you find a copy of it).
Now I am making many assumptions due to my limited understanding:
1) The Polywell concept is an example of a forced-oscillator
2) The Polywell concept is indeed nonatonomous
Fractals are closely related to strange attractors in ways that I do not fully understand. Through the Cantor set it seems after reading Strogatz.

A few papers I have found while goofing around on the Internet:

MOON, F C | HOLMES, P J,
Three-Dimensional Analysis of Magnetic Field Distortion of ferromagnetic A magnetoelastic strange attractor (forced oscillations of ferromagnetic beam buckled between two magnets)
Journal of Sound and Vibration. Vol. 65, pp. 275-296. 22 July 1979
--this is the source that Strogatz used

Miniato, A., Tone, T. Three-Dimensional Analysis of Magnetic Field Distortion of ferromagnetic Beam-Plates by The Boundary Element Method,
International Journal For Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 23, 1201- 1216 (1986)

Lewandowski, J. Characterization of strange attractors in drift wave microturbulence.
Computer Physics Communications, 164 (2004) 114–117
-------Stellarator and Tokomak stuff

I will maintain this at least as an option. Sorry for all the excitement.
Last edited by Brent on Wed May 21, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Brent,

Stay excited. Use that excitement as a lever to dig deeper.

I'm not following your argument. Don't worry about it. Keep working until you understand it enough to explain it to your average engineer.

And how about dropping in some urls? You can put them in bare and they turn up clickable. Don't worry if they are too long. I have editing privileges and will fix them so they don't screw up the page display for too long.

It is one of the few editing things I do on other's posts. (other than spam eradication).

Brent

Post by Brent »

Thanks Simon for encouraging me to clarify my search. It may be helpful that I provide a link to what a strange attractor is. I found the following site on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attractor

I have also provided a few papers in my previous post. Here they are listed again in order. I apologize for the lengthly links. For some reason, I could not get the BBCode to compress them.

In Srogatz’ discussion about strange attractors, he cited a forced double-well oscillator. In particular, he mentioned Moon and Holmes, who pioneered this type of oscillator. Out of curiosity, I decided to perform a Google search for it. Here is the result:
MOON, F C. HOLMES, P J
Three-Dimensional Analysis of Magnetic Field Distortion of ferromagnetic A magnetoelastic strange attractor (forced oscillations of ferromagnetic beam buckled between two magnets) Journal of Sound and Vibration. Vol. 65, pp. 275-296. 22 July 1979
hyperlink: long url

I searched further and found a three-dimensional version of the same problem solved by Moon and Holmes. I found the following paper:
Miniato, A., Tone, T. Three-Dimensional Analysis of Magnetic Field Distortion of ferromagnetic Beam-Plates by The Boundary Element Method, International Journal For Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 23, 1201- 1216 (1986)
hyperlink:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0

I wondered what was going in the Plasma Physics community with strange attractors. I ended up finding a paper about strange attractors in stellerators and tokomaks.
Lewandowski, J. Characterization of strange attractors in drift wave microturbulence.
Computer Physics Communications, 164 (2004) 114–117
hyperlink
another long url

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Brent,

I fixed your urls. Edit your piece to see what I have done so you can do it if you want to.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

OK. I get it now.

The question is: is there some frequency of drive or wave shape that will get us the results we want? A monoenergetic beam that gives us the particle energy annealing we want in order to limit upscattering and increase the density in the reaction zone.

Is that a fair representation?

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

jmc wrote:Fibonacci sequence self-healing eh? I never knew that, but it would explain why nature has selected it so often in designing the anatomical ratios of animals and plants. I wonder if there are other self healing sequences and whether they too are present in the natural world.
Far more than just anatomical ratios. The Fibonacci Sequence is a derivative of the value phi. The Golden Angle, another phi derivative, shows up in the maximum efficiency dispersal pattern of a random system with "n" nodes (think a random gas cloud). The Logarithmic Spiral (shape of the galaxy and conch shells) is another phi derivative. Phi shows up all over the natural world and systems theory, controlling the layout of small world networks (minimal degrees of separation systems), etc. For all intents and purposes Phi is God's number, not 42.
Vae Victis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Phi can also be expressed as a quadratic.

(A*A) - A -1 = 0 Which is kind of neat. Another way of expressing that is

(A*A) - A = 1 or

(A*A) = A + 1

Brent

Post by Brent »

MSimon wrote:OK. I get it now.

The question is: is there some frequency of drive or wave shape that will get us the results we want? A monoenergetic beam that gives us the particle energy annealing we want in order to limit upscattering and increase the density in the reaction zone.

Is that a fair representation?
Simon,

I started a new thread in the theory section entitled Strange Attractors (General: Zomes) to continue this discussion.