A History of the Online Polywell Community 11/2006 - 12/2010

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mattman

A History of the Online Polywell Community 11/2006 - 12/2010

Post by mattman »

Hey Polywellers,

Check this post out:

http://thepolywellblog.blogspot.com/201 ... unity.html

Post Summary:
==========
This post has a history of the amateur community, ('06 to '10) what this community can do, a call for research and links. Thousands of Polywellers formed this community, beginning in November 2006. In the spring and summer of 2007, articles were published and the talk-Polywell forum was created. Bussard got navy funding in August of 2007 and passed away that October. The navy team ran tests from January to late summer 2008. That fall, a Polywell idea was entered into Google's 10 to the 10th competition and Mark Suppes started work. He produced fusion, using a fusor, in November 2009 and was on CNN in June 2010. The navy announced a ~12 million contract on September 11th 2009. The community is asked to investigate Rider's thesis. The post shifts to arguing for more research. The assumption: "fusion has been 20 years away for 30 years" is challenged because of the newest body of knowledge. Credit is offered to the tokomak, laser and, national lab scientists, engineers and mathematicians for making this possible. The internet is also cited as a way of speeding up research and redistributing knowledge. The post closes with an appeal for urgency.
Last edited by mattman on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I added a comment...

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

I added a comment...
Wasn't there when I read the blog just now.

The blog says that the results weren't "published" and I guess that might be true, depending on your definition of "publish". I found two:
* print: put into print;
* prepare and issue for public distribution or sale;
By the first, I suspect the results HAVE been "published". By the second, perhaps not.

So if "publish" is for public distribution, should the analog word for "private distribution be "privish"? If so, I pretty sure the results have been "privished"!

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Looks like my comment may have been removed. It came up on the blog after I posted it.
Last edited by chrismb on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdeminico

Post by mdeminico »

Nice site, good info for those of us who aren't completely up to date on everything or on the history.
chrismb wrote:Looks like my comment may have been removed. It came up on the blog after I posted it.

Nothing I said was factually in error. I suppose the blog is based in China.. or America... so 'free speech' is a bit meaningless.
Dude, calm down, seriously. It's not a conspiracy.

Almost all blogs (this one probably included), your post will show up to you immediately (it stays client side), and be held on the server moderation queue. I'd put money on saying that it wasn't deleted.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Like the UK with the Anti-Terror laws. :shock:

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

OK, so maybe there was just some sort of web-glitch. I posted again. Anyone see it now?

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Yes.
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters