Making a rainbow

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Nanos

Making a rainbow

Post by Nanos »

Every now and then I do a google search/etc. and never really find an answer on how can/do you make a repeatable on demand large scale artifical rainbow.

I wonder if anyone here knows ?

(Though I have already found out I'd need planning permission in the UK as it would be considered a hazard to pilots..)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Pump a lot of fine water droplets into the air.

You have to get the viewing angle right with respect to the sun.

Droplet size probably needs optimization.

BTW you can do it with a garden hose and a spray nozzle to start. That should give you hours of experimental fun.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

I wonder how much surface area you need to create one, as I remember as a small child that you didn't seem to need that much using a water pipe, perhaps a kite could do it ?

I'd guess if using water, doing it over a lake would be best so you could endlessly recycle the water, though I wonder if it would raise the local humidity rather a lot if you had it on 24/7 ?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Nanos wrote:I wonder how much surface area you need to create one, as I remember as a small child that you didn't seem to need that much using a water pipe, perhaps a kite could do it ?

I'd guess if using water, doing it over a lake would be best so you could endlessly recycle the water, though I wonder if it would raise the local humidity rather a lot if you had it on 24/7 ?
Water vapor is a very potent greenhouse gas. You wouldn't want to get on the warmists bad side. Best to practice during a rain storm. ;-)
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

Maybe a semi transparent panel held aloft over ones home to minmic water droplets ?

drmike

Post by drmike »

I did that with CD's once. I got the cheapest ones with no cover on the top surface. Both sides act like diffraction gratings. I hung a bunch of them on fishing line and got really great responses from my kids as the rainbows went flashing across all the walls. My wife wasn't too pleased - I hung them in the middle of a hall :D

But CD's are made of plastic which comes from oil, so the greens will still want to kill for it! :shock:

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

drmike wrote:But CD's are made of plastic which comes from oil, so the greens will still want to kill for it! :shock:
Not to quibble, but it's the right wing that's killing for oil, not the left.

For my $0.02, plastics are what we SHOULD be doing with our hydrocarbons — burning them for energy seems almost silly. (But I don't feel too strongly about it, since if other energy sources — such as polywell fusion — work out, we can always synthesize whatever hydrocarbons we need from other feedstocks.)

Best,
- Joe
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Joe,

The right wing is also killing dictators and takes no ownership interest in any country's oil. Their only interest is in keeping the oil flowing and seeing that oil profits do not fund terrorism. Yeah I know. Saudi Arabia and Iran. Patience. There is only so much that can be done at any given time.

PolyGirl

Rainbow Gold

Post by PolyGirl »

You know what they say about rainbows?

'There's a pot of gold at the end of a Rainbow'

Definitely a good money making idea!

Regards
Polygirl
The more I know, the less I know.

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

I thought it would be nice to have a permenant rainbow in the sky above where I lived, the thought bubbled up to the surface of my mind probably due to a friend of mine running something called The Rainbow Bridge Foundation, and the name always strikes me as really nice.

Best I can do for now is NDTRA, which is a skit based around Peter Nanos.

Actually, perhaps someone here might appreciate my efforts at humour :-)

It all stemed from me stumbling across this one day;

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/co ... 2005/509/1

> Nanos Steps Down at Los Alamos

(I like to check up now and then whose been saying what about me, but now of course, if I search for myself, I get nano this and nano that.. so have started to use Zanos here or there instead.)

Anyhow, at the time I was involved in an organisation that wasn't very good at security aspects and I wanted to jolly them up a bit, they joined 2 and 2 and made 5 and assumed I was the same person. (I mean, do our pictures look the same!)

It amused me at the time anyway :-)

drmike

Post by drmike »

It is fun to google your own name. There are 5 of me last time I counted. Most of them were from Iceland, which I found interesting since none of my ancestors ever set foot there!

Good to keep laughing, and good luck with your rainbow!