Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Thanks for the effort and the info pbreed, I guess it must be also pretty fun and exciting to have the possibility to visit LLP and EMC2 in the same week 8)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

pbreed wrote:I live in the San Diego area, I've been to NJ one time in the last 10 years, when I flew back to consider investing in LPP.

All NDA's clearly exclude info you have before signing NDA and knowledge availible to the public not released by you.
It is interesting that they asked you to sign one for walking in the door.
All that aside, mentioning the NDA here places you in a position where folks here will assume that you were shared visibility on something that matters. It may have been better just to say you visited and did not get thrown out, but did not really see anything that matters or something to that effect. There is lots of nail chewing going on here about what the true project status and level of progress is. I suspect some have even thought of selling their children to find out. The perceived excessive level of secrecy by EMC2 and the navy has certainly caused some stress, especially when you compare the level of openess that LPP is using for a no kidding investor funded proprietary project. Did you sign an NDA at LPP? And speaking of which, it has been a month or so since they updated on switch firing and timing tweaking, anything further on that during your visit?

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Thanks for sharing. It's interesting you can visit EMC2. I'd probably do the same if it was convenient.

OTOH, I doubt you can tell much by looking, and they probably aren't going to share their thoughts on the loss scaling with B.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

you could certainly at least tell if the power cables are hooked up...
"fully under construction"
:wink:

pbreed

Post by pbreed »

I signed the EMC NDA under the hope that I might learn something.
If I had it to do over I would have just left.

On the other hand LPP did not ask that I sign an NDA.
By visiting LPP I did not gain much specific technical knowledge beyond what could be gained from carefully reviewing their videos and blog posts.

For more info LPP has a twitter feed.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And in other news if no one saw it, EMC2 got a mention in Discovery Magazine (Oct 2010, 30th Anniversary Issue) in an article on Fusion. Mostly it was focused to Shiva Star. They even asked Park his opinion about Shiva Star.
No details on EMC2 activities, just a call out.
I do not recall seeing this one surface here yet. But who knows, maybe it did and I lost in in all the gunfire over politics and sociology.
I was also looking at the New Mexico small business article and noticed in the nice photo of WB7 what looked like a new Ion Gun in the bottom right.
http://www.nmsbaprogram.org/userfiles/N ... ives08.pdf

choff

Post by choff »

ladajo wrote:And in other news if no one saw it, EMC2 got a mention in Discovery Magazine (Oct 2010, 30th Anniversary Issue) in an article on Fusion. Mostly it was focused to Shiva Star. They even asked Park his opinion about Shiva Star.
No details on EMC2 activities, just a call out.
I do not recall seeing this one surface here yet. But who knows, maybe it did and I lost in in all the gunfire over politics and sociology.
I was also looking at the New Mexico small business article and noticed in the nice photo of WB7 what looked like a new Ion Gun in the bottom right.
http://www.nmsbaprogram.org/userfiles/N ... ives08.pdf
I saw it once before and I think someone else saw it before me, the desert scenery predominates the web site.
At least with pbreed's report we have confirmation the funding is going exactly where its supposed to, quarterly report or not.
CHoff

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Yeah, this article, again? :)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

No...not the article, the details in the large WB7 photo, lower right hand corner. Ion gun? I did not see a gas puff tube like in photos of WB6. Note date wise, I think it is WB7 vice 7.1, and also the nubs look the same as WB6.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

That's right, I somehow read it as "new new mexico business article".

pbreed

EMC shop

Post by pbreed »

I drove past the new EMC office again while in the area for other reasons.
There is a very large cryogenic Dewar installed behind their shop, I was not close enought to see if it was LN LHe or something else.

It was much larger than the normal portable Ln2 or Lox dewars I'm familiar with.

So does this mean they are running Super conducing magnets?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Pictures, have a buddy take pictures. Your buddy did not sign an NDA....

icarus

Post by icarus »

Or maybe they are in the business of storing bull semen now?

KitemanSA

Re: EMC shop

Post by KitemanSA »

pbreed wrote: It was much larger than the normal portable Ln2 or Lox dewars I'm familiar with.
So does this mean they are running Super conducing magnets?
This suggests to me that they are running cryo-cooled copper magnets. If they were SC they probably would be higher power and need less cooling. But cryo-cooled copper needs a LOT of cooling!

Could be simple conduction cooling or could be active piped cooling. Square copper tube would make for a very easy cryo-cooled design IMHO.

Just a thought.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

For large liquid cooled generators water cooled is the method of choice. +20kv at 10 ka coils are common. Why would EMC2 need cryogenics for WB-8? Maybe I am missing something. Perhaps they are using cryogenics for the nubs, assuming they are still using nubs? Very interesting and a surprise to me.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.