Small update from Lawrenceville Plasma Physics

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Small update from Lawrenceville Plasma Physics

Post by Skipjack »

http://www.lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.c ... &Itemid=90

They seemingly resolved a switch problem, but still have issues with getting the yield that they expected to get. They claim to know what to do to fix it. Lets hope that this does not turn out to be a more fundamental problem.

GIThruster

DPF

Post by GIThruster »

Fascinating explanation/hypothesis they're working with too. Seems they have the tools to check-see if it's correct.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

hmmm... there is a graph;

that anticipates that they will be getting 10^14 reactions/s by Sep, but this news item gives a more modest "...we observed 0.7 x 10^11 neutrons...we should be able to double the radius of the plasmoids and thus increase their volume and fusion yield by 8-10 fold...We will be investigating this more in September."

So the current optimistic prediction is that they will be 2 orders of mag behind their 'challenging' line.

I wish them well... Now, let us pray.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yes, I noticed that too, Chris.
I do have the feeling that they are going to miss their mark.

icarus

Post by icarus »

I do have the feeling that they are going to miss their mark.
Well they are funded, so some might say that found their mark ... maybe the mark just doesn't know it yet?

Promises, promises ....

jmc

Post by jmc »

Apparantly Iran is also planning to do fusion research using the Dense Plasma Focus...

http://www.isna.ir/ISNA/NewsView.aspx?I ... 982&Lang=E

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

II don't see any mention of methods in the link. If they (Iran) are honest about pursuing boron fusion, then there are three possibilities that I know of-
DPF
FRC
Polywell.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

jmc

Post by jmc »

TEHRAN (ISNA)-Iranian scientists have achieved required capacity for nuclear fusion research with three fuel generations.

A Faculty member of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Plasma Physics and Nuclear Fusion Research Center Vahid Damideh pointed to Iranian researchers' success in four modern ways for nuclear fusion, design of three nuclear fusion facilities and said a new plan is presented for construction of Boron nuclear fusion facility in three years.

"If the plan is approved, Iran will be the second country after the US that can carry out nuclear fusion research with three generations of fusion fuel."

"Iran has got access to domestic know-how required for the technology," he told ISNA.

He also added Iran is among few countries which hold the know-how to design and build two dense plasma focus (DPF) of Filipov and Mather types.

Damideh went on to say that Iran has designed inertial electrostatic confinement fusion (IECF) with the capacity of 25 KW and 104 thousand volt, the innovation has included Iran among the six countries of the US, Japan, South Korea, Australia and France holding the technology.

End Item

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Sorry, I didn't read the link very well.

While earning them bragging rights, the accomplishments are modest and easily obtained. An amateur (?) on Fusor.net has done DPF, as have a number of labs. And, of course Fusors are a dime a dozen. Well, perhaps a few thousand per dozen.
These are easily obtained levels of 'expertise' if you have a few motivated individuals. It is a step up to do work like Robert Hirsch's, or DPF,but any competent university physics dept with the aid of a competent machinist and electrical engineer can do this - if they have access to the internet or other repository of fusion research, and a few 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars.

A more important consequence of this boasting, is that it demonstrates an interest in pursuing this technology, or at least keeping tabs on it, with a competence level capable of interpretating the information.

I wonder if the DOE has even this much interest in these fields?

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Brian H

New video, switching solved

Post by Brian H »

Good inside look at the guyz in action. New switches seem to work!
http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/a ... epeatably/
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I know the Focus Fusion guys are not very popular here, but one can say at least one good thing about them:
They really try to be as open as possible. This lowers them on my personal bullshit scale quite a bit. I am still sceptical about the concept, but I am starting to feel more sympathy for the people there. In any case, it is really cool to watch them do their thing.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Skipjack wrote:I know the Focus Fusion guys are not very popular here, but one can say at least one good thing about them
I've not got that impression. Plenty of good things said about them here.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Ok, maybe it was just Art who called Lerner a crook ;)

rcain

Post by rcain »

Skipjack wrote:Ok, maybe it was just Art who called Lerner a crook ;)
erm..., thats not true either I'm afraid Skipjack - just Arts usual of 'it'll never bloody work...' - but Art never impugned Lerner, to my recollection. And as you should know by now, we are at heart a 'positive' bunch here - even Chrismb, I dare say.

I do agree with you though in applauding FF's openness.

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

Skipjack wrote:I know the Focus Fusion guys are not very popular here, but one can say at least one good thing about them:
They really try to be as open as possible. This lowers them on my personal bullshit scale quite a bit. I am still sceptical about the concept, but I am starting to feel more sympathy for the people there. In any case, it is really cool to watch them do their thing.
My sentiments exactly.

BTW, Carlson never called Lerner a crook. He only said that his concept could not work.