Plankton and AGW

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

bcglorf

Misreading

Post by bcglorf »

vankirkc wrote:
GIThruster wrote:There is also the issue that the argument being made does not argue for Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW). It's an argument for Climate Change--as there is no mechanism described whereby the proposed change in climate is wrought by human affairs.
The article mentions overfishing as one possible cause of the decline in plankton. The logic was a decline in larger fish meant less zoo plankton was being consumed, who in turn consumed more of the plant plankton.
Your missing his point, he was pointing out that even if the article you reference is entirely correct about the warming indicator, it says NOTHING about the cause of said warming and so says NOTHING about AGW.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

If I had a dime for every phenomenon that's been "linked to global warming" I could buy Al Gore's oceanside mansion.

This field spews up some of the laziest, sloppiest agenda-drive science ever. Karl Popper would slap them.

Someday "An Inconvenient Truth" will sit next to "Reefer Madness" on the shelf of unintentionally hilarious doom-mongering.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

TallDave wrote:If I had a dime for every phenomenon that's been "linked to global warming" I could buy Al Gore's oceanside mansion.

This field spews up some of the laziest, sloppiest agenda-drive science ever. Karl Popper would slap them.

Someday "An Inconvenient Truth" will sit next to "Reefer Madness" on the shelf of unintentionally hilarious doom-mongering.
Quite. Lately, they are blaming illegal immigration, undersized tropical fish, and even the increase in space junk, on global warming...

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

The Secchi disk transparency measurement is perhaps one of the oldest and simplest of all measurements. But there is grave danger of errors in such measurements where a water telescope is not utilized, as well as in the presence of water color and inorganic turbidity (source: Vollenweider and Kerekes, 1982)

NOTE: Inorganic turbidity is on the rise globally due to erosion, pollution, dust and soot, etc. Studies that do not measure and eliminate this source from their data are highly flawed. This current plankton study is thus flawed.

A Secchi disk is really a proxy, not a direct measurement of plankton concentrations.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/07/30/n ... ton-panic/

BTW: We at "Watts Up With That" are celebrating our 50 millionth hit this week. Stop by and comment.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

IntLibber wrote:
TallDave wrote:If I had a dime for every phenomenon that's been "linked to global warming" I could buy Al Gore's oceanside mansion.

Quite. Lately, they are blaming illegal immigration, undersized tropical fish, and even the increase in space junk, on global warming...
Let me see. If we can tie it to increased stamina and erectile function in males attitudes could change rapidly.

I did a blog post on the above:

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/201 ... ctile.html
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

vankirkc

Post by vankirkc »

IntLibber wrote:The Secchi disk transparency measurement is perhaps one of the oldest and simplest of all measurements. But there is grave danger of errors in such measurements where a water telescope is not utilized, as well as in the presence of water color and inorganic turbidity (source: Vollenweider and Kerekes, 1982)

NOTE: Inorganic turbidity is on the rise globally due to erosion, pollution, dust and soot, etc. Studies that do not measure and eliminate this source from their data are highly flawed. This current plankton study is thus flawed.

A Secchi disk is really a proxy, not a direct measurement of plankton concentrations.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/07/30/n ... ton-panic/

BTW: We at "Watts Up With That" are celebrating our 50 millionth hit this week. Stop by and comment.
I believe the study in question found that Secchi depths have been increasing, implying clearer waters. I don't see how a global rise in inorganic turbidity undermines that finding in any way. Rather it would seem to me that such a finding might make the findings of the Secchi study that much more disturbing.