magnetic monopole at Room Temperature - possible affect ?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

YordanGeorgiev

magnetic monopole at Room Temperature - possible affect ?

Post by YordanGeorgiev »

New material mimics a magnetic monopole at Room Temperature presented at:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/04/new-ma ... opole.html

Could this affect positively the polywell somehow ?
It is one thing to know what to want, second to really want it, third to know how to do it, fourth to be skillful to do it,
fifth to actually do it and last but not least to not regret after doing it

Nik

I don't think so...

Post by Nik »

This is akin to fridge magnets that have both poles on one side and scant 'stray field' on other...

IIRC, even one true monopole would invalidate great slabs of outré hypotheses...

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

??

rcain

Post by rcain »

looks like that to me also - sort of minimal circular Halbach array - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array - but at nano scale.

smart/functional materials applications intriguing. pushing materials science for sure (temp, scale), though cant see any new fundamental physics at play yet... maybe i'm missing something...

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

What would it invalidate? My understanding is magnetic monopoles would simply add more terms to the equations we already have.
Carter

rcain

Post by rcain »

kcdodd wrote:What would it invalidate? My understanding is magnetic monopoles would simply add more terms to the equations we already have.
spot on. that is my understanding also. irrc, Maxwell breaks down/becomes inadequate, but Euler steps in to save the day as a common basis. some such.

i'm sure the Poincare conjecture, now theory, comes in there somewhere as well, but isnt critical to it. (specifically, 3 & 4 dimensional space posses specific analytic problems, hence the known amalgum of solutions we have to cover; by contrast problems in 1,2, 5 and higher dimensional spaces had for some time been solvable as a general case).

any theory, however good, is never anything more than an approximate transcript, symbolic rewriting, of 'The Laws' which actually prevail/operate, in our 'time-like' frame of reference.

whatever wurx...

ps. is there a term for them in QCD?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

kcdodd wrote:What would it invalidate? My understanding is magnetic monopoles would simply add more terms to the equations we already have.
Magnetic monopoles would simply render Polywell and other fusion machine useless for energy generation, at least earthwise.

rcain

Post by rcain »

Giorgio wrote:
Magnetic monopoles would simply render Polywell and other fusion machine useless for energy generation, at least earthwise.
so long as we assume continuous monotonic trajectories (orbits) though the device centre, spherically symetric. perhaps a monopole model might be helpful in modeling asymetric/discontinuous trajectories, such as suround collisional events.

similarly, modeling a PWR by reflecting pi/2 quadrants might also give rise for a 'pseudo' term for 'monopole', albeit simply for the sake of theoretical/computational simplification. (flux reconnection analysis?)

i really dont know. it seems to me like it might have a use. what do you think?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Are you suggesting a circular magnetic Halback configuration?
Something like this?
http://www-sldnt.slac.stanford.edu/nlc/ ... -067_2.pdf

rcain

Post by rcain »

yes, something like that.

i wasnt suggesting a 'practical' use in the Polywell; just maybe a 'theoretical/abstract' application.

but now i think, i cant really see the point.

ps. i was thinking more along these lines: http://www.lorentzcenter.nl/lc/web/2007 ... rnodub.pdf (' ... a monopole is a flux defect ...')