Gov't vs Free Market Polywell Development

If polywell fusion is developed, in what ways will the world change for better or worse? Discuss.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

kttopdad wrote:In order for biofuels to compete with petro fuels for the dwindling non-electrified transportation sector needs in a BFR-enabled world.
Well, again, batteries have issues vs. combustion engines. They don't deliver high torque as well, they don't function as well at temperature extremes, they require downtime for recharging, they're less impact-survivable, they have a lower energy/mass ratio, and they wear out faster than a combustion engine.

Even with electricity at 1/10th today's prices and gas at twice today's prices, I think most people will still prefer to at least have a combustion engine available in the car.

That means there will be a large market for liquid fuel. One advantage of Polywell is it could be used to produce cheap liquid fuel via gasification or similar tech, as Bussard proposed.
However, I suspect that plentiful, cheap electricity provided by BFRs will spur investment in battery growth like we've never seen before.
As with fusion, there's still a question of fundamental limits, and no one really knows for sure what they are. Some problems with batteries may simply be unsolvable; there may not be a chemical combination that can deliver a real competitor to the combustion engine.
I dunno, TallDave. Let's get together in a decade and see who guessed this one correctly.
Hehe. I'll bet it's still 90% liquid fuel.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Roger wrote:TallDave, whats the difference between U3 & U6 ?
Sorry, in what context? Unemployment?

U1: Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
U2: Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
U3: Official unemployment rate per ILO definition.
U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions makes them believe that no work is available for them.
U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
U6: U5 + Part time workers who want to work full time, but can not due to economic reasons.