"No B.S. and no excuses"

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

"No B.S. and no excuses"

Post by chrismb »

This is outright B.S., because EMC2 have excused themselves from their public service of revealing that which the public has paid for (in any tiny or remote part).

This is therefore an excuse. This is the very definition of the word!!

blaisepascal

Re: "No B.S. and no excuses"

Post by blaisepascal »

chrismb wrote:This is outright B.S., because EMC2 have excused themselves from their public service of revealing that which the public has paid for (in any tiny or remote part).

This is therefore an excuse. This is the very definition of the word!!
Except they have revealed that which the public has paid for, probably in detail. They've just revealed to the representatives of the public which asked for, and arranged payment for, that data.

Or are you suggesting that EMC2 is withholding information from their monthly status reports to the Navy?

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

chineze say patience is a virtue

you`ve already waited aeons for tokamak to produce, now isnt it unfair to blast on polywell for a meagre 2 years more???!

you whine "but they`ve been workin on it for the last 14 years "

- sure, but with only a trickle of funds

rcain

Post by rcain »

'... ve haf vays of making zem tok!'

(...no wait, we tried that...)

'... right, cut off zer vunding, $ by $!'

'wiat wait, i'll tell you anything...'

've do not vont to know anyzing, ve vant to know ze truth Dr Nebel! ver are you hiding ze neutrons!?'

'....there are no neutrons, i swear...'

'ahaha, zo you admit it at last!...'

to be continued...

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

i`m sure this wouldn`t have been the first time an FOIA request has been given the loop-around. you seem to have figured out why they don`t wanna talk, well good for you sir.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I'm not suggesting anything. I am stating that to excuse one's self from fulfilling a request, you must make an excuse.

To say "no excuses" and then to excuse one's self, is self-inconsistent. I don't like self-inconsistency.

I just like pedantery and accurate use of words, that is all.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

chrismb wrote:I'm not suggesting anything. I am stating that to excuse one's self from fulfilling a request, you must make an excuse.

To say "no excuses" and then to excuse one's self, is self-inconsistent. I don't like self-inconsistency.

I just like pedantery and accurate use of words, that is all.
My English (the language) teacher in high school hated pedantry. I tried it once on him and got a scathing remark on my paper as well as an F. I decided it wasn't for me.

But just to get in the spirit of things I think you spelled pedantry incorrectly.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

MSimon wrote: But just to get in the spirit of things I think you spelled pedantry incorrectly.
Excellent correction! I like like-minded folk!

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

So sue him. He's doing his job. He's not a political and ethics or pedantry activist.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

chrismb wrote:I'm not suggesting anything. I am stating that to excuse one's self from fulfilling a request, you must make an excuse.
So if you decline to go jump of a cliff, you are making excuses? Seems an odd use of the term. I guess to the brits, decline = excuse. Wish he'd speak "Mercin" like the rest of us! Sorry, thats spelled Murkin! ;)

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Nevermind that it's with little doubt taken out of context. He was speaking strictly regarding WB results. And where's the legalese that obligates EMC2 to release the info the public has paid for? What info has the public paid for?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

KitemanSA wrote:
So if you decline to go jump of a cliff, you are making excuses? Seems an odd use of the term. I guess to the brits, decline = excuse. Wish he'd speak "Mercin" like the rest of us! Sorry, thats spelled Murkin! ;)
I believe there are two 'r's in 'Murrkin. Leading 'A' silent/invisible, accent on the last 'r'. Sometimes stretched to 'Murrrkin or 'Murrrrkin in the South, but that's considered non-standard by experts.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Betruger wrote:Nevermind that it's with little doubt taken out of context. He was speaking strictly regarding WB results. And where's the legalese that obligates EMC2 to release the info the public has paid for? What info has the public paid for?
5 U.S.C. § 552, As Amended By Public Law No. 104-231, 110 Stat. 3048

It is the Navy that are obligated to release information they have about EMC2's work, because the Navy is an agency of the Government subject to the FoIA.

I have no idea at all how commercial issues impact the release of the Navy's own peer-review, excepting where it contains any details of new features in the experiment not yet published. Those can be redacted easily without affecting the sense of that peer review.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

suppose Nebel wants to talk contrary to navy wishes/contractual obligations. The us navy would cut his funding and he`d be forced to seek funding from elsewhere. Nebel would secure his R&D funding in a heartbeat if disclosure of WB7 results do indicate success. But the whole idea(helping mankind etc) was to keep the patent from falling in a private company`s hands.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

Regardless of what people say, America has a heart of gold(pls leave this statement be...) - so much money diverted into all kinds of worldwide aid..

- but i wonder what percentage of this donated money comes from federal/provincial budgets, as opposed to private companies` budgets